Hit another scooter. Other guy drove off.

Completely my fault. I’m an idiot and should have known better. I’m most annoyed because I often label scooter riders who drive into the back of another bike as fucking idiots: no chance to react and nothing to absorb the impact like a car. Anyway…

A few days ago I was riding onto a bridge in the sectioned off scooter lane at rush hour. I was tired, my mind wandered and so I ran into the back of another scooter. I managed to brake and the impact was such that his bike stayed standing and no one was hurt; however, his passenger was visibly shaken. There was no damage to my scooter; I don’t know about his.

With the heavy traffic on a congested scooter lane, he just drove off after he realized everything was okay and never got off his bike. He didn’t stop further along either.

As it’s illegal to leave the scene of an accident, what’s my position here? Yes the accident was my fault, but no one seemed to be injured and there didn’t seem to be any damage. He was in front and just drove away.

If this guy decides to report it, what would be my position?

I’ve read on here before about minor incidents not being reported but some time later all sorts of claims appear for excessive damages etc.

I guess it was impractical to stop given the swarm of bikes forcing their way through the congestion.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

I believe it’s also the other persons responsible to stop and report to the police for a official statement in the accident not just yours. So nothing really since there’s no police report as technically he left the scene as well so I’m not sure it’s even considered an accident.

I guess since he did not report the accident the fact he never stopped and filed a report will strongly go against him and it’s your word vs his on what happened with nothing on what happened at the scene.

This happened to me once. There is nothing you can do, really. I guess you can report it on your own, that might help clear your conscience.

Looking at it from “state-side” experience, the other person probably did not have insurance, a license, or either. That is what happens when an accident happens is the states. Or maybe had warrants, or immigration is sketchy.

Or, maybe they figured no harm, no foul and carried on.

1 Like

I have occasionally been bumped (not just in Taiwan) with no obvious damage, and we’ve just waved each other on in a ‘no harm done’ gesture. Usually a 3-second check is enough to ascertain that all is well. I vaguely remember bumping someone else at about 1mph a long time ago, saying 不好意思, and he just carried on as if nothing happened.

It’s a big game of dodgem cars out there; unless his scooter was brand spanking new and you scratched his paintwork, the chances of any comeback are next to nil, mainly because it would be his word against yours. Could he even see your license plate?

If you go to the police station and report it, they’ll probably think you’re mad and have a good laugh about it after you’ve gone. After all, what are you even reporting if nobody was hurt and nothing was damaged?

2 Likes

As the other scooter was in front of you he didn’t see your license plate, nothing to report!

2 Likes

Cheers folks!

Exactly what I was thinking.
The only way he could find you it have proof would be a third party video, but it will also show him leaving the scene.
So, no worries! :whistle: