Holidays without Mainlanders

I meant you, lol like you come on over LOL. And are you not surrounded by more mainlanders if your in China? I lived in Shenzhen for a year before coming to Taiwan but I don’t think I even noticed really living in China because your living IN China so some of the more outrageous things just seem more normal I guess until you return to a country that’s not China. @@

The Chinese have moved on to Kyoto. It’s now packed with Chinese. The restaurants have Chinese menus and a lot of staff in shops speak Chinese.

Really? I lived in Japan for a decade prior to moving to China and then Taiwan and I can’t say I’ve really noticed the crazy Mainland tactics that I’ve noticed in Taiwan. Perhaps because it’s a bigger city or that I didn’t frequent touristy spots like yourself because I lived there. Actyally most of the Chinese people I’ve encountered in Japan have been quite nice people.

Wangenksen , I already posted about my experiences in China and my overall impressions and why I overreact. It is considered nice and polite in the so called western world (although I am certainly not western) to read someone’s posts before responding. I can only add that I lived in China for a few long years. The first year was interesting, even the annoying and the bad was interesting because it was all new and very very different. Then it all went downhill.

Yes, I agree that for someone educated from mainland China Taiwan might seem interesting if they stay here for longer or travel on their own, if they are here just for a short stay then it won’t be an impressive place in comparison what China can offer.

I actually have no insight into what nationality you are considering you didn’t post that prior, nor do I typically make that a point when choosing to respond to someone. I do however make use of the “Reply” function when replying to comments left by users so that then will know the entry was directed at them, that’s also considered “Polite” in the so called “western world” that I lived for a short period of time as a child.

And as far as Taiwan compares to China, that’s entirely your opinion and your taste in a vacation and very much depends on your previous experiences and several other factors. I’m sure China has great things to offer, as does Taiwan.

I’m clueless about the modalities of this forum. I tried to quote someone and it didnt work. The reply functon also doesn’t contain quotes. I’m pretty sure we can all figure out what is directed at who and so on, given that we are all educated adults here.

I was asked by the moderation to tone down my replies in regard to mainland chinese behavior so the thread does not become too bashy, so I am sorry that I won’t repeat the same things over and over again.

However I will reply to the person who said that they didnt understand the way the Chinese travel - people who take part in such organized yours are ususually not very well educated. I’d say that the people I saw in Taroko were from a small town or the countryside, they somehow got rich, but it certainly wasnt due to their skills or education. So such people all of the sudden come into possession of large sums of disposable income and they want to travel because that’s what other do. But they dont have a cognitive apparatus to appreciate what they see. Actually living in China taught me that some hings that I took for granted and thought were universal are in fact not, like appreciation of beauty, arts, music, proportions etc. It’s all learned, it’s all acquired, it’s all cultural. The Chinese understand modernisation in their own special way, they really dont care for the old, concrete and glass are beautiful because they are new, clean and functional, old ruins are not interesting. Too little time has passed between them being really artificially and unnecessarily impoverished and the now, when they just want to eat fancy food and shop for some new plastic shit. Add the inability to appreciate pretty much anything else and the lack of cognitive appartus for that and you have a recipe for distaster when you blend a bunch of them with let’s say Scandinavians at the Royal Palace in Bangkok. Oh yes, and the overpopulation resulting in pushing, the every man or family on their own resulting in the lack of consideration for others and the food, always the food. So they will run through the palaca laughing at the odd looking sculptures making a lot of noise and because on the other side you have food and shopping! Shiny things!
It takes time. A few generations, usually.

If you’re on mobile, it could be different to quote a passage in a someone’s response, but by pressing the “Reply” button, it should show and the person you’re replying to will receive a notification.

Read this thread for more info:

http://tw.forumosa.com/t/welcome-to-forumosa/157089?u=ranlee

A few were observed…eating ice cream :eek:.

Every store I went, every restaurant we ate at, had clerks and waiters from China and/or Taiwan.

Forgot to tell you guys the fun trying to get a certain piece of luggage over a Chinese woman. I lost. But she paid more. :rofl:

As I have told you guys before, my pal rents through Airbnb. He studied in China when he was younger -:grandpa:- so he is well familiar with Mainlanders. He says he has been greatly impressed with his guests from China, who are independent travellers. Mostly well educated, well traveled, have acritical head over their shoulders, much better conversation and cpacity than average Taiwanese, he says.

By sheer logic, the people who take those mass tours are not the creme de la creme. Tours to Taiwan compete for the lowest of the lowest prices, hence, you get the lowest rung of the market. Therefore, those hordes we see here are even “worse” than the hordes in Europe or even Japan, since they pay even less. Remember THEY complain they get them to “duty free stores” and LOCK the place up after they go in, no one goe sout unless they buy something. Ultralow pricing in tours so people buy overpriced stuff from, “select” places -ehem, owned by Mainlanders, too. Oh, and those ultralowpriced tours are also from the Mainland companies. Hence, no benefit to Taiwan, not even in workforce, as you guys noticed, they have Mainlanders doing the work. That is why our kids are doing les than 20k jobs or going to Australia/New Zealand/Japan/Korea on “vacation/work” deals. Ad nauseum.

You’re not alone. I’ve have exact same reaction. After living in China for a number of years I now just wince every time I even hear a Mainland accent in Taiwan…or anywhere else where they are now ubiquitous: North America, Europe, Australia.

I normally consider myself a pretty tolerant person but nothing ruins my day now quite like seeing a gaggle of Chinese tourists, or even just hearing a lone Mainland Chinese voice ring out when I’m not in China. It’s completely irrational but it’s like some sort of misophonic reaction…like wanting to climb the walls when someone smacks their lips while eating.

Nice to find a fellow sufferer!

sure, the first time i ever heard about taiwan was from my boss at the time in china. he told me about the history, how taiwan has retained chinese culture ect. i even know some others who have travelled here from that same team.

they don’t represent the average though. as you say, taiwan is a cheap place to go for a trip, chinese are also limited to where they can travel to unless they are rich or something. so for most chinese its just whatever. honestly i kind of agree with the OP they should stay at home if they have no interest in taiwan and only want to come to say china is better or something like that. and its vice versa, i would like to travel to a fair few places in china. good luck getting my gf to agree to that though!

Well then perhaps, if you are clueless to the modalities of the forum you could educate yourself or not direct comments at me suggesting I didn’t read what you had said. I don’t have any issue with what your saying but perhaps you shouldn’t make assumptions and generalizations so quickly. And rather then try to understand why they take vacations or second guess their education, maybe you need to state the reason why you believe a lack of education gives way to the kind of behaviour we deem as rude in the “western world” which ironically you seemed to refer to as something quite foreign in your previous post.

To address your elaboration, perhaps that is true of some parties who come to Taiwan and visit, and we’ve all heard the stories of things that have happeened. I’ve seen quite a fair bit in Shenzhen as well. But it’s beyond unfair to make huge generalizations about every single person from Mainland because of that. I’ve had coworkers during my time in China that were hilarious and great people to be around and I’ve never had any issues with them. Ive also been in Taroko when my mother was visiting with people shouting and acting like they owned the place, so I understand your frustration as well when it comes to situations like that. But probably should apply it on a per person basis.

てゆか、あなたの名前は渋谷女でしょう?あなた日本人なの?あなたの英語がちっとおかしいと思うよ。

One of my taiwan friend (back to many years) will know where to send you if you need. She works in university about the eco-tourism. She may present goods places if you want. my email : pascal.ricklin@yahoo.fr

If you read what I wrote you would have known that I haven’t made sweeping generalizations about every single person from the mainland behaving the same way.

One more proof that you don’t read posts you respond to.

1 Like

Thank you. Maybe I’ll email you at some point in the future, so don’t be surprised. For now I think I’m fixed. I will only have three days and limited resources, so not much extravaganza there .

Post pictures afterwards, please. It is nice to have alternatives/suggestions.

I read what you wrote, I fail to see how that’s not a generalization. Perhaps you ought to be evaluating your own education first honey before you question that of others :slight_smile:

I sure will. Thank you for valuable life lessons. I would be totally lost without you.

1 Like

Glad to see the newbies continuing our great traditions :).

1 Like