Holidays without Mainlanders

You mean somewhere else in Guangdong? The SYS memorial hall in Guangzhou has its own metro station, no mountain hike required.

Not the main SYS thinghie. And this was like 20 years ago, their metro still in its infancy. I remember it smelled like fresh cement.

There are crowds everywhere in China so maybe you guys think that a half empty place in China is actually very crowded.

That isnā€™t accurate. Mao helped found the Communist party in 1921, and later was a KMT member during the period of KMT-Communist cooperation, maintaining his far-left and revolutionary orientation throughout. He continued to do so until Chiang took the party to the far right and expelled the Communists and then attacked them outright.

Well different historians have different opinions about what happened and why. Thatā€™s the version that I read. He probably did what he did for many reasons but your average Chinese doesnā€™t have a clue about the holy leader ever being on KMT.

I also read a Mao biography and he was a very early communist party member. The one tidbit I remember was that he was a poor student who used to do laundry for other students to get by.
This clashes with the fact that he was supposedly a landlords son.

Meh. I hate to disappoint you, but sheā€™s right-- itā€™s quite standard internet forum behavior. Nothing unique whatsoever.

Hi, it seems like you enjoy the traveling, but I dont know have you been to Confucius temple in Taipei but one of my friend just holding an event for free tour for English speaking tourist,
please refer it.
https://www.facebook.com/events/1635581783409805/?notif_t=plan_admin_added&notif_id=1484553143066851

I wouldnā€™t call it a matter of opinion; thereā€™s a documented timeline. To each their own though.

Apparently his father wasnā€™t enamored of his desire to become an intellectual and turfed him out.

Itā€™s true, I was in Beijing and visited the national palace museum there and itā€™s 50/50 foreigners and mainlanders not from Beijing on holiday. Itā€™s literally the stuff the KMT though was garbage and didnā€™t bring. Itā€™s so sad they even had replicas or pictures of things like the jade cabbage in Taiwan.

Nah itā€™s unique :).
Totally unique.

Yet, the word around here is that their Palace Museum is better/larger/the ā€œreal oneā€.

Actually KMT was trying to bring them all to Taiwan but there is no such a big ship during the time, so we abandon ā€œthe houseā€ and some non-high value property.

Not to mention the persistent rumors that certain key pieces have gone missing over the years, especially lately, and show up in China.

China used a lot of resources to buy up many pieces in private Western collectors hands, but most national treasures are still in private hands in China. Moreover, the fake antiques industry is getting better and better.

More or less what is happening with the fossils. It is a race between the private collectors and the archeologists, one the latter lose more often than not. I find it funny how people in the West still buy fossils from China like hot dogs, pay a bundleā€¦ to be displayed in mantles and state that they are sure they are real. Mmm, 'k.