Hong kong night life - seeking advice

I meeting two friends in Hong Kong next weekend wanted to know if you have any recommendations for a nice place we could go out to at night (preferably a nice bar or restaurant, not that interested in clubbing)? We’re all students and it would be nice to go where people our age (25-30) go to.

Hmm, I don’t usually do nice, but there is a bar called Gecko that comes as close as I can get.

Gecko Lounge and Wine Bar
LG/F, Ezra Lane Lower Hollywood Road
Hong Kong,
Telephone: +852 2537 4680

[quote]This cosy watering hole is a little hard to find – tucked away as it is down a tiny, dark side-street, under an escalator not far from what looks like a hot dog stand. But if it promises little it delivers much: a cool yet laid-back spot packed with in-the-know regulars propping up the bar counter or talking film, art and music at the tables. DJs or live bands – usually jazz during the week – make sure it gets pretty loud, and when the booze starts flowing and the dancing begins an air of fun, dangerous decadence takes over. We hear a Fetish group hosts gatherings here – what more evidence do you need?
[/quote]

It is a great place, and quite hard to find. There’s another good bar that might scratch your itch nearby called Yumla.

[quote]Yumla
Lower Basement, Harilela House, 79 Wyndham Street
Hong Kong,
Telephone: +852 2147 2383
Hours:Mon-Thurs 5pm-2am; Fri & Sat 5pm-4am; Sun 7pm-2am
http://www.yumla.com

Set in Lok Hing Lane Park, in the heart of the nightlife district and surrounded by tower blocks, tall trees and stone terraces, there’s something strange and surreal about Yumla. A mixture of hip club and laid-back dive bar it has a funky neighborhood feel to it. With its triangular windows and exterior wall murals painted by local artists that change every two months, it’s also hard to miss. You’re advised to get there early on weekdays for a rowdy and extended Happy Hour that pulls in the crowds, while DJs spin an eclectic mix of sounds that will keep you there until much, much later. Before long you’ll know everyone in the space and be planning another visit. Go Yumla.
[/quote]

Of course, after you’ve had a few, you really should go to the Fenwick in Wanchai. But not before midnight.

HG

:bravo:

Probably Wanchai is more fun than LKF !

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Hmm, I don’t usually do nice, but there is a bar called Gecko that comes as close as I can get.

Gecko Lounge and Wine Bar
LG/F, Ezra Lane Lower Hollywood Road
Hong Kong,
Telephone: +852 2537 4680

[quote]This cosy watering hole is a little hard to find – tucked away as it is down a tiny, dark side-street, under an escalator not far from what looks like a hot dog stand. But if it promises little it delivers much: a cool yet laid-back spot packed with in-the-know regulars propping up the bar counter or talking film, art and music at the tables. DJs or live bands – usually jazz during the week – make sure it gets pretty loud, and when the booze starts flowing and the dancing begins an air of fun, dangerous decadence takes over. We hear a Fetish group hosts gatherings here – what more evidence do you need?
[/quote]

It is a great place, and quite hard to find. There’s another good bar that might scratch your itch nearby called Yumla.

[quote]Yumla
Lower Basement, Harilela House, 79 Wyndham Street
Hong Kong,
Telephone: +852 2147 2383
Hours:Mon-Thurs 5pm-2am; Fri & Sat 5pm-4am; Sun 7pm-2am
http://www.yumla.com

Set in Lok Hing Lane Park, in the heart of the nightlife district and surrounded by tower blocks, tall trees and stone terraces, there’s something strange and surreal about Yumla. A mixture of hip club and laid-back dive bar it has a funky neighborhood feel to it. With its triangular windows and exterior wall murals painted by local artists that change every two months, it’s also hard to miss. You’re advised to get there early on weekdays for a rowdy and extended Happy Hour that pulls in the crowds, while DJs spin an eclectic mix of sounds that will keep you there until much, much later. Before long you’ll know everyone in the space and be planning another visit. Go Yumla.
[/quote]

Of course, after you’ve had a few, you really should go to the Fenwick in Wanchai. But not before midnight.

HG[/quote]

no way - you’re sending them to f*ckwit? Poor bastards.

Wanchai is probably more real and can get a little rowdy. LKF is seriously pretentious and expensive. To each its own.

[quote]Of course, after you’ve had a few, you really should go to the Fenwick in Wanchai. But not before midnight.
[/quote]

And after all that, go to The Bridge, open 24-hours, for the real party !
http://www.thebridge.hk

Well, if you’re into paying hard money to make out with exploitated Thais and Filipinas, that is.

The lines concerning who is being exploited are far from clear in the likes of The Bridge in the wee hours.

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]The lines concerning who is being exploited are far from clear in the likes of The Bridge in the wee hours.

HG[/quote]

:laughing: Some how it’s never felt like the ladies…

Younger crowd usually goes to places like the Walkabout bar in Wanchai (as they serve blatantly underage drinkers) and places above the 2nd floor in LKF for similar reasons. Soho is more interesting, have a wander around Staunton St and Elgin St and wonder in when you see something you like. Try to find the Feather Boa on Staunton St…is it even still there?

Anyway have fun.

Agree. There’s some great little bars around SOHO.

HG

For evening beverages IFC II has some nice outdoor places like Isola or Red. Though at times it can be a bit trendy or touristy

Ah yes Red is well worth a vist for all the personal trainers and model types that frequent it. It is the bar that belongs to Pure Fitness!

The company I work for has taken over Red a few times. I note that you could use the lines between the public space and Red to sink a few 7-11 beers if you were on a budget. Great view.

FINDS in LKF is also worth a look in. I’ve been twice, but was so pissed by the time I left that I doubt I’d be capable of finding my way back. :blush:

HG

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]The company I work for has taken over Red a few times. I note that you could use the lines between the public space and Red to sink a few 7-11 beers if you were on a budget. Great view.

FINDS in LKF is also worth a look in. I’ve been twice, but was so pissed by the time I left that I doubt I’d be capable of finding my way back. :blush:

HG[/quote]

Well…now we know who you work for… :smiley:

Ha ha ha! Keep it to yourself, please.

HG

Lips can be sealed - for a price.

…in Wanchai everybody knows !