Houseplants and potted trees with delivery -- Taipei

:astonished: I doubt that last bit. Well-to-do middle-aged American ladies don’t usually… well, I guess you never know. She was talking about something with a latin name, but I wasn’t really listening as I was more interested in selling her a SIM-card. I got the impression she wanted to grow some kind of fancy flowers to keep her busy while hubby was out making the millions.

Instead of this cloak-and-dagger stuff, can I just tell her that I’ve got an address for her and will pass it on when we meet to connect her phone? Why so secretive? Are you up to something naughty?

Is this what people mean by hydroponics? What is NFT? It all sounds horribly technical. Why not just shop at Wellcome like the rest of us?

Is this what people mean by hydroponics? What is NFT? It all sounds horribly technical. Why not just shop at Wellcome like the rest of us?[/quote]

NFT = nutrient film technique

homeharvest.com/americanhydronft.htm

lots of hydro techniques available…each with specific benefits/disadvantages with respect to the crop grown.

as for middle aged housewives trying to source 250-1000watt retrofitted street lamps…follow this link:

villagevoice.com/screens/053 … 84,28.html

Welll those fancy flowers would probably be orchids and you have more variety of lights for them then what would be used for indoor purposes. I wouldn’t pass on the information on where to get HID lights(grow lights) unless I knew the person was legit. I don’t want them getting busted a year later due to a small fire and then go passing my name to the police, when I’m just an honest lettuce grower. Taiwanese police have a poor reputation and I’ve seen how they will destroy someone for just a few bucks sorry, I don’t need cops crawling around my nethouses looking to make a name for themselves while destroying my business and getting a paisei, when it is all done with.

Jaboney:
Why not just go with an indeterminate strain of cherry tomatoes? Plant them all and harvest them for a good 8 months, one crop a year, some gentle pruning and voila year round tomatoes. I would use www.johnnyseeds.com for variety and high quality. How are you going to keep the bugs away? I’m using netting and neem oil, but I can’t see this really working for you. Right now, caterpillars are eating up my unprotected mint plants and starting on the Basil. I would plant with the season for your crops and go with native greens for summer and lettuces and romaine during the winter, unless you can sink your reservoir deep in the ground.

Not that difficult really, just takes a lot of work for large scale, some know how, and the ability to surf the internet

Cheers,
Okami

Welll those fancy flowers would probably be orchids and you have more variety of lights for them then what would be used for indoor purposes. I wouldn’t pass on the information on where to get HID lights(grow lights) unless I knew the person was legit. I don’t want them getting busted a year later due to a small fire and then go passing my name to the police, when I’m just an honest lettuce grower. Taiwanese police have a poor reputation and I’ve seen how they will destroy someone for just a few bucks sorry, I don’t need cops crawling around my nethouses looking to make a name for themselves while destroying my business and getting a paisei, when it is all done with.[/quote]

Fair enough. Do you want to give me your email (secretly, of course) so I can put her in touch directly? I hate being the conduit for someone else’s mad scheme to cross orchids with opium.

Hi, I would like to decorate my house with exotic
and taiwanese plants (large if possible and medium size).

Where can I find inexpensive PLants and Pictures also for my
home. Thankyou all,

Ric

You can find plants at the flower market under JianGuo, if you’re in Taipei.

Here’s a googled article for you with the address, as it’s new year;
taipeitimes.com/News/feat/ar … 2003222229

Bluelagoon, please SEARCH before you post, as I reminded you by PM just a couple of days ago. A search for ‘plants’ in WCIF turns up, for example, this thread:
http://www.forumosa.com/taiwan/viewtopic.php?t=31101&highlight=plants

I’m merging this with that now.

I’d also recommend folks post their WCIF topics (e.g., plants and pictures) separately, so that each can be merged with other relevant threads if needed.

Thank you in advance for your cooperation. :wink:

There’s also the Banqiao flower market, which is easily reached by MRT (Xinpu station) and is open every day until about 6 p.m. Like the Jianguo market, it is located underneath the expressway.

does anyone know if the flowermarket in neihu (posted above) is still open? i want to go but don’t want to make the trip with my 1 1/2 year old unless they are still there. :slight_smile: thanks!

w

Yes, still open; but go in the early to mid morning. They close around 11am or something nutty like that. They deliver for about $300 to Donghu, for example, and you can negotiate a combined shipment from various sellers if you speak Chinese well.

thank you so much for the info!
cheers.

I am looking for a place to buy all the supplies associated with potted plants. carrefour didn’t have much of a selection. is there a place in Taipei that specializes in this stuff?

-top soil, pots, plant food, etc.

thanks

big such market off wenlin road in shipai, couple hundred meters south of Y-intersection with Chengde Road. that side of wenlin appears to be mostly scrub brush, only a couple of alleys head into it, 2 of them form a U off wenlin that is all plant and plant supply outlets.

Yeah, several large markets exist. I’ll merge this with the relevant threads. The search and merge functions appear to be working better now.

I didn’t read the whole thread but saw Taipei flower markets mentioned. The nurseries out past Sanxia provide a huge selection and very cheap. 3-4 foot trees starting as low as 300nt. If you have a local driver’s license, grab a blue truck for a half day. If not, take a scooter and pay them a 1000 for delivery after stocking up a trucks worth. My roof is looking great after 3 years. If you do rent the truck yourself, remember to stop off at a river for rocks and drift wood. Happy gardening.

Hi,
I want to buy an indoor plant that is good at cleaning air and doesn’t attract insects. Does anyone know some chinese names of some plants I could buy? I will likely go to B and Q.

hopefully I’m not breaking any rules here.
But a cousin of mine sells plants on a few auctions sites.
He ships throughout Taiwan and can get almost anything available.

class.ruten.com.tw/user/index00.php?s=nina_wuu
tw.myblog.yahoo.com/jw!Vk0jSFucGRlD.apbm_c2Ww–/

Admins: Let me know if this is breaking any rules and I’ll remove the post.

It’s almost houseplant time for me, anyone have some stores or streets to suggest? I usually just do snake plants but I’d like to add some air plants this time around.

Jianguo Plant Market is the place for you. Take the MRT to Daan Park Station. When you get out look for the overhead freeway. Jianguo Market is right underneath.