How bad can it be if the number of countries that ROC/Taiwan has official diplomatic relations with is exactly ZERO?

They’re doing a bit of downsizing with the TECO’s.

Handy jobs eh? Must have been SO stressful for them working in those places.
Hope they don’t close the one in my home country. We closed our trade office in Taiwan years ago.

Worst scenario: The Taiwan Special Administrative Region of the People’s Republic of China.
And the economy in the West will once again grow because of the wealthy Taiwanese’s migranting like what happened back in 1997.
If the U.S. is built by slaves, Canada is built by wealthy migrants who don’t wanna live in their motherlands.

The US wasn’t built by slaves. The northern states that dropped slavery became so much richer than the slave states - it wasn’t an economically advantageous system. The industrial revolution is what made the US so wealthy, not slavery.

For once I agree with you on something. “The principle of self-determination is prominently embodied in Article I of the Charter of the United Nations. … All peoples have the right to self-determination. By virtue of that right they freely determine their political status and freely pursue their economic, social and cultural development.”
www.unpo.org/article/4957

I suppose everyone is allowed this right except when it will pisses of a country that has economic leverage.

I agree but remember there is officially no country called Taiwan arguing for the right of national self-determination. There is just a government in exile called the ROC, whose official position is still that there is one China and all of it is ROC territory, including Tibet, Mongolia and parts of Siberia.

So that clause doesn’t really apply. It could apply, if people wanted to pull the trigger… but that’s another story.

This news just in

This is a relatively big one, not that I care too much either way.

Every time they have a bowl of rice, they have to think of Taiwan. It was a Taiwanese researcher who adapted a rice variety so that they could harvest not only enough to eat, but now even export.

Unfortunately, for the next couple of weeks I will have to read a lot of social media posts and press saying how the “historical mistake has been corrected”, “how China is the future”, and a lot of bs about the great Chinese market, its financial strenght etc. plus the cherry on top on how China is less corrupt.

The truth is our elites, and hence, their puppet governments in Latin America, sell themselves to the highest bidder. Can’t even negotaite a proepr transition on their country’s benefit, just a quick payoff to their Swiss bank accounts.

1 Like

Only six months ago TT wrote

http://www.taipeitimes.com/News/taiwan/archives/2017/11/17/2003682430

Taiwan is donating two Bell UH-1H helicopters, 90 AM General Humvees, and 100 engines to the Armed Forces of the Dominican Republic valued at more than USD35 million, the Dominican Ministry of Defence (MoD) announced on 30 October 2017

Hopefully the Taiwanese government will realise that it’s a pointless exercise trying to compete with China in buying these countries off.

1 Like

If the D.R. got their promised training and gear, then Taiwan just got played hard.

1 Like

It sounds like the kind of story you’d read from people falling for nigerian scammers email.

“I’m the prince Gumbukku, my father the king was killed by my evil uncle, I need an army to claim my throne back, please send weapons and I’ll reward you greatly”

. . according to Global Times

The Dominican Republic is the largest economy in the Caribbean and Central American region and the most visited destination in the Caribbean region. China is the second largest source of imports for the Dominican Republic, while the Caribbean country is China’s largest trade partner in the region.

Isn’t that from Black Panther?

That evil bastard! Where can I send my collection of AR-15s?

Sounds more like the Lion King. :grin:

Usually the opposition parties in countries that break up with Taiwan come with that song and dance…nope, that won’t fly, not even here.

So you’re saying black panther is a nigerian scammer…

#triggered

Good. This will save the Taiwanese tax payer loads of money.

1 Like

The new word from the party that got us into this mess at teh very beginning is that Tsai is to blame because she now throws milions on the corrupt and messy and disgusting SEA countries instead of the allies … :wall: