How casual is your office environment?

(Sorry, this doesn’t really apply to our English teaching brethren)
In the last week, I’ve had the pleasure of actual human meatworld contact with 3 actual member bros. 2 out of the 3 are basically allowed to show up to work in their underwear/pajamas. Shorts, flipflops, T shirts, are no problem.
My deal here is pretty relaxed, but guys pretty much have to wear long pants and some kind of shoes.
How about you?

• Old school, polos and khakis are as casual as it gets
  • Jeans and T shirts are OK, but shorts and flip flops/sandals would be frowned on
  • I could show up in a friggin jockstrap and nobody would care

0 voters

My current company is NG in this regards. My previous company was a joke, especially when I joined. Girls were to work like if they were going to the beach: flip flops, super short skirts/shorts, shitty t-shirt… then everybody at the office wore home slippers (which I ended up doing too), but the funny thing is that at the beginning, some of my coworkers wore just socks. Things became more formal over the time though, but still pretty relaxed.

Current company, at least in my department (kinda, difficult to explain), is pretty shitty. We need to look pretty formal even though we are the only people not facing customers.

On Fridays we’re allowed to relax our neckties and undo the top button between 1pm and 2.30. Once I wore a purple sock with a pink sock but I was spanked quite hard for that by Mr Fothergill.

No clients come to our office so we can wear whatever we want. I do wear a shirt and shoes though.

My current workplace allows me to wear t-shirts or polos and jeans or casual pants.
Slippers or sandals are a big no no.

Word to the wise, mate.
Next time wear the socks on your feet, rather than yer todger.:wink:

I hope the shirt is long enough. :eek:

I’m my own boss really. So I wear whatever is appropriate. Sometimes a nice suit and a time, but most days I wear sports clothing training and coaching kids and adults.

I work from home, so I could be in me underwears and it wouldn’t matter.

No guarantees.

:nsfw:

Click for image

“Weddings and funerals,” my father used to say, “are the only times you will ever catch me in a monkey suit.” He was a lawyer who spent the better part of 40 years in a Brooks Brothers nightmare.

When I first started at this joint many moons ago, it was pretty straight-laced. The boss came in wearing a suit every day. The women were Photoshopped to perfection. It was late May and the weather was really heating up. For the first week or so, I came in with khakis and a polo shirt. And I was fuckin’ greasy, sweaty mess.

One day I wasn’t supposed to be in the office but I got a call: “Hey, could you come down here for a few minutes?” Sure.

I rolled up in my standard uniform, which as @Rocket knows is standard shorts, t-shirt, and flip-flops. The boss immediately made a comment about my appearance, not necessarily bad - something along the lines of “You look comfortable” and I said, “I am comfortable. What part of my job requires me to get dressed up anyway?” [P.S. I’m a writer who has zero contact with the public.]

The boss replied that as a rich and powerful man, he needed to dress up to his part. I said, “Have you ever seen what Bill Gates looks like on a daily basis? How about the Facebook idiot? The richest guy I’ve ever known never wore anything but Aloha shirts and cargo shorts - no shoes. Dude was a billionaire.” Man, I saw the light go on over his head.

The very next day, the boss rolled into the office wearing basically a copy of my uniform. He was righteously chuffed, too. It was like a new “thing” for him. Since then I literally come into the office wearing whatever I passed out in last night - sometimes with food and beverage stains. I misplaced my glasses last night so I’m wearing sunglasses right now. Seriously. Ray Charles blackout glasses. Not very professional, but that shit went out the window years ago.

As weird as it is to say, the boss has followed my lead in the attire department ever since. From April to November, it’s a fuckin’ beach party in here. When he has to meet with important people, he ducks into the bathroom and puts on the suit. When the meeting is over, he’s back into the uniform.

Meanwhile, it has always been a bit of counter-intuitive logic that dressing down has its advantages. For one thing, I am completely under-estimated wherever I go because I look like Moby and The Dude had a 40-something year-old baby. At the same time, I’m about as comfortable as I can be. That’s important to me. If I had to start getting dolled up, I’d find a new line of work.

When I interviewed for my current job back in 2001, the owner of the company was wearing an old t-shirt with Bambi on it. I’m not sure why he even owns/owned a shirt with a picture of Bambi on it, but that was my first impression of this company’s dress code.

I love being able to wear whatever I want, and I truly hope that I can always have a job where I don’t need to dress up too much. I save a lot of time and hassle on laundry, ironing, and dry cleaning related chores.

Ouch. And here I was thinking you looked like Puchin.

Except for an extremely brief stint in insurance, I’ve never had a job as a suit. I always justified it to myself as “I’m stickin’ it to the man,” but it’s probably just a lack of ambition.

When my one kid was small, I taught her to never trust anyone who wears a tie every day, it being a pretty solid indicator that sooner or later they’re going to be trying to get one over on you.
I stand by that.

Yeah, I’ve seen what you wear to work. You must save a LOT of time…

That’s funny, I worked for several years in a smallish office where one of the owner/bosses was an old school engineer.
My desk was between his office and reception, and I always knew when was going to a meeting with clients without even looking up, because I could hear that he’d ditched the sliders and put on actual shoes (and socks!).

1 Like

Sigh. In fact, I bear a closer resemblance to Vladimir than I’m comfortable with. Genetics. At least I still have all my teeth. No major deformities.

I don’t know, man. I think that’s right on. I’ve had pro gigs where I had to rock up in the suit every day. It just became another uniform, but I always felt like a phony when out in public - on the subway and whatnot. People see the suit, not the person. Always felt like I was faking it. Like, yeah I clean up nice and look a’ight in a suit, but I’m truly a fuckin’ hobo. I don’t wear clothing if I don’t have to. Not that I’m a perving nudist. It’s fuckin’ hot here and in the Philippines. And I go out every day and I see these cats all tucked into that fuckin’ hot-ass wool monkey suit and I think, “How in the hell are you not dying in that?” I went down to the mall the other day - it was 35 degrees - and there’s a mascot in a furry squirrel costume dancing around in the full sun, and I thought, “That’s exactly how I feel in clothing - trapped inside a mascot costume on the hottest day of the year.”

When I interviewed for my current job, I was in a full suit and tie, my future co-worker said, “wow you’re dressed up.” I responded, “What else am I suppose to wear to an interview?” I soon found it was, casual Friday…every day of the week here.

Personally, I try to keep it to a casual un-tucked button flannel down shirt with dark colored jeans and/or khakis. I could walk into the office with t-shirt and jeans everyday, but to me, work is work, I don’t really enjoy being in the office in something I would wear to the gym.

Except you look way better shirtless on horseback.

1 Like

My wife told me last night (in a completely unrelated-to-this-thread conversation) that she’d like to see me get back down to my “junkie weight.” No problem. I’ll get right on that.

1 Like

Heroin chic never went out of style with the gals in Taiwan.

1 Like

Bro @super_lucky, I think Milker just called you a chick, man.
Are you going to take that shit off him???