How Come Ted Cruz Can Run For President Yet Not Be Born in The USA?

This one is a bit confusing, especially after all the Barry birther stuff.

[quote]Cruz was born in Calgary, Canada, while his parents were living there. His father is now an American citizen, but was not at the time; his mother, however, was born in the United States.

Helpfully, the Congressional Research Service gathered all of the information relevant to Cruz’s case a few years ago, at the height (nadir?) of Obama birtherism. In short, the Constitution says that the president must be a natural-born citizen. “The weight of scholarly legal and historical opinion appears to support the notion that ‘natural born Citizen’ means one who is entitled under the Constitution or laws of the United States to U.S. citizenship ‘at birth’ or ‘by birth,’ including any child born ‘in’ the United States, the children of United States citizens born abroad, and those born abroad of one citizen parents who has met U.S. residency requirements,” the CRS’s Jack Maskell wrote. So in short: Cruz is a citizen; Cruz is not naturalized; therefore Cruz is a natural-born citizen, and in any case his mother is a citizen. You can read the CRS memo at bottom; here’s a much longer and more detailed 2011 version. [/quote]

theatlantic.com/politics/arc … us/275469/

[quote=“rodeo”][quote]Cruz was born in Calgary, Canada, while his parents were living there. His father is now an American citizen, but was not at the time; his mother, however, was born in the United States.

Helpfully, the Congressional Research Service gathered all of the information relevant to Cruz’s case a few years ago, at the height (nadir?) of Obama birtherism. In short, the Constitution says that the president must be a natural-born citizen. “The weight of scholarly legal and historical opinion appears to support the notion that ‘natural born Citizen’ means one who is entitled under the Constitution or laws of the United States to U.S. citizenship ‘at birth’ or ‘by birth,’ including any child born ‘in’ the United States, the children of United States citizens born abroad, and those born abroad of one citizen parents who has met U.S. residency requirements,” the CRS’s Jack Maskell wrote. So in short: Cruz is a citizen; Cruz is not naturalized; therefore Cruz is a natural-born citizen, and in any case his mother is a citizen. You can read the CRS memo at bottom; here’s a much longer and more detailed 2011 version. [/quote]

theatlantic.com/politics/arc … us/275469/[/quote]

Is this different from Barry O? I don’t seem to think it is, am I wrong?

birther

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”][quote=“rodeo”][quote]Cruz was born in Calgary, Canada, while his parents were living there. His father is now an American citizen, but was not at the time; his mother, however, was born in the United States.

theatlantic.com/politics/arc … us/275469/[/quote]

Is this different from Barry O? I don’t seem to think it is, am I wrong?[/quote]
Obama was born in Hawaii and Hawaii is actually part of the US. So yeah, it’s different. :unamused:

His mom was a US citizen when they lived in Canada. If she and her husband BOTH became naturalized citizens, then no, I don’t believe he would be eligible.

[quote=“rodeo”]
Obama was born in Hawaii and Hawaii is actually part of the US. So yeah, it’s different. :unamused:

His mom was a US citizen when they lived in Canada. If she and her husband BOTH became naturalized citizens, then no, I don’t believe he would be eligible.[/quote]

Is the eye rolly bit really necessary? Because right now you are either a complete douchebag or someone completely oblivious to the whole birther/Kenya BS.

Lets play a little game then (since you seem so keen for games).

Lets say Donald Trump and all the other RWBHs who were on Barry’s ass so hard about being born in Kenya were correct, and he was born in Kenya. Wouldn’t that all be moot because of his mother (as in the Ted Cruz situation)?

So, why aren’t the birthers descending on Cruz demanding to see all his “long-form” papers, and then refusing to believe him when he actually produces them?

Hypocrites.

I happen to be in a position to know that Barack Obama was born in a stable in a little town called Jerusalem under a shining star.

You just ain’t got the evidence and he’s got a second term, suck it up ya weirdoes, what hole do you crawl out of to worry about this stuff!

The idea that a person has to be US-born to be eligible for the Presidency is a fallacy. McCain was born in Panama (though on a US base) and it posed no trouble to his electability. Romney’s father was born in Mexico and ran for president once, as well.

Yes, and Donald Trump would still be an idiot.

One would think so.

But logical thinking is not a strong suit of the birthers.

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”]

Lets say Donald Trump and all the other RWBHs who were on Barry’s ass so hard about being born in Kenya were correct, and he was born in Kenya. Wouldn’t that all be moot because of his mother (as in the Ted Cruz situation)?[/quote]

His parents would have had to have officially registered his citizenship through a “Consular Report of Birth Abroad.” Given that that had never been done, it would have been an issue.

But that’s not what anyone was saying or implying of course.

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”][quote=“rodeo”]

His mom was a US citizen when they lived in Canada. If she and her husband BOTH became naturalized citizens, then no, I don’t believe he would be eligible.[/quote]

Is the eye rolly bit really necessary? Because right now you are either a complete douchebag or someone completely oblivious to the whole birther/Kenya BS.

Lets say Donald Trump and all the other RWBHs who were on Barry’s ass so hard about being born in Kenya were correct, and he was born in Kenya. Wouldn’t that all be moot because of his mother (as in the Ted Cruz situation)?[/quote]
Only if they didn’t file the paperwork.

The :unamused: is because you are “inadvertently” bringing up the ridiculous birther argument which was proven false about eleventy billion times.

And me? A douchebag? I here I thought you had the patent. :laughing: Maybe you should just do a google search and read up on something instead of asking online posters you always end up arguing with anyway. :unamused:

[quote=“rodeo”][quote=“Deuce Dropper”][quote=“rodeo”]

The :unamused: is because you are “inadvertently” bringing up the ridiculous birther argument which was proven false about eleventy billion times.[/quote]

Donald Trump actually brought it up on a Sunday morning talk show two weeks ago like there was still some conspiracy.

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”][quote=“rodeo”][quote=“Deuce Dropper”][quote=“rodeo”]

The :unamused: is because you are “inadvertently” bringing up the ridiculous birther argument which was proven false about eleventy billion times.[/quote]

Donald Trump actually brought it up on a Sunday morning talk show two weeks ago like there was still some conspiracy.[/quote]
Who the fuck cares what DT thinks? He’s a celebrity who needs the limelight. It’s his job to stay “relevant.” Why even give him any credence? :loco:

1 Like

[quote=“rodeo”][quote=“Deuce Dropper”][quote=“rodeo”][quote=“Deuce Dropper”][quote=“rodeo”]

Donald Trump actually brought it up on a Sunday morning talk show two weeks ago like there was still some conspiracy.[/quote]
Who the fuck cares what DT thinks? He’s a celebrity who needs the limelight. It’s his job to stay “relevant.” Why even give him any credence? :loco:[/quote]

you having a bad day, son?

you are aware the world is awash with conspiracy morons who keep stories like this and all the other dumbass conspiracies alive?

RWBHs (even Mitt Romney) got caught up in the birther shit last election cycle, you aren’t even a little curious to see how they act this time around now that it is one of their guys, or should I just expect more saltiness from you?

[quote=“Deuce Dropper”]
you having a bad day, son?

you are aware the world is awash with conspiracy morons who keep stories like this and all the other dumbass conspiracies alive?

RWBHs (even Mitt Romney) got caught up in the birther shit last election cycle, you aren’t even a little curious to see how they act this time around now that it is one of their guys, or should I just expect more saltiness from you?[/quote]
Son? You sure about that? I wonder as you sound a little snotnosed to me at times. :laughing:

I’m fine as the day is long. Thank you for asking. :slight_smile:

I don’t care about the nuts, on either side. It’s difficult enough to try and keep up with the enormous amount of real news out there to give this kind of stoopidity too much of my time. I try not to do distraction. :thumbsup:

No on the salt. I’ll dish it out in equal amounts I think, but not always right away. I just had some saved for you. :laughing:

Like I wrote first, the information is out there. Realclearpolitics.com had an article or two about weeks ago. It’s a nonstory, which of course doesn’t mean the mouthbreathers won’t gape after it for months, or years. :unamused:

cheers

[quote]The freshman Republican senator from Texas – and possible 2016 presidential candidate – announced Monday evening he is renouncing the Canadian citizenship that, until just a few days ago, he didn’t think he had.

Yes, Senator Cruz was born in Canada, and thus automatically a Canadian citizen. But he was born to an American mother – the former Eleanor Wilson, born in Wilmington, Del. – and that makes Cruz a “natural born” citizen in the eyes of most legal experts. That phrase – natural-born citizen – appears in the Constitution as one of the eligibility requirements for the US presidency.[/quote]
news.yahoo.com/why-texas-sen-ted … 31046.html

He was born in Calgary (the most American of Canadian cities) to an American expat and a Cuban Canadian immigrant. Do you know how many Americans live in Calgary–a hell of a lot?! Lots of natural born Americans being born.

[quote]
Statistics Canada census from 2006 shows that just over 22,000 Americans were living in Calgary at that time. However, the U.S. Consulate estimates the number of Americans currently living in the greater Calgary area is around 100,000, which was initially reported in an earlier version of this story. [/quote]

cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/s … -vote.html

We could retitle this thread ‘Dumb and Dumber’.

the birther argument was Dumb and the Cruz counter argument is Dumber.