How do I punctuate songs/chants?

Each new line starts with a capital?

A new line just indicates the natural break in the song?

For some songs, I have seen punctuation at the end of every line. For others, I have seen it written without punctuation…

The one below is an example I copied from Internet. It looks like they Missed some periods.

He said, “Let’s get out of this town,
Drive out of the city, away from the crowds
I thought heaven can’t help me now.”
Nothing lasts forever, but this is gonna take me down

He’s so tall and handsome as hell
He’s so bad but he does it so well

How do you punctuate songs? Chants? poems?

Thanks

[quote=“Mr Chen”]Each new line starts with a capital?

A new line just indicates the natural break in the song?

For some songs, I have seen punctuation at the end of every line. For others, I have seen it written without punctuation…

The one below is an example I copied from Internet. It looks like they Missed some periods.

He said, “Let’s get out of this town,
Drive out of the city, away from the crowds
I thought heaven can’t help me now.”
Nothing lasts forever, but this is gonna take me down

He’s so tall and handsome as hell
He’s so bad but he does it so well

How do you punctuate songs? Chants? poems?

Thanks[/quote]

I’m not a teacher but will give my input since no one else has. :slight_smile:

I would suggest forgetting poetry because it has its own nuances in regards to punctuation.

Talking about songs, yes each line starts with a capital. The example you provided is good for reference because there’s a quote involved. Other punctuation depends on how the author choose to style the song. Here’s a passage from a popular college marching band song, that also has some chanting involved:

The Victors (L. Elbel)/Regents of the University of Michigan

[i]Now for a cheer they are here, triumphant!
Here they come with banners flying,
In stalwart step they’re nighing,
With shouts of vict’ry crying,
We hurrah, hurrah, we greet you now,
Hail!

Far we their praises sing
For the glory and fame they’ve bro’t us
Loud let the bells them ring
For here they come with banners flying
Far we their praises tell
For the glory and fame they’ve bro’t us
Loud let the bells them ring
For here they come with banners flying
Here they come, Hurrah!

Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu’ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan
the leaders and best
Hail! to the victors valiant
Hail! to the conqu’ring heroes
Hail! Hail! to Michigan,
the champions of the West![/i]

My view is that songs simply follow “regular” English rules when it comes to punctuation: commas are used to indicate a pause, quotes are quotes, exclamations for calls, shouts, yells etc.

There might be some confusion when it comes to the period because it’s difficult to know in a song lyric when the end of the thought occurs. (Lyrics don’t always read like sentences.) From the lyric and songbooks that I’ve seen over the years, I’d recommend leaving the period out in most cases because – together with the lyrics and music – people already know that the line/thought has finished.

I’d also suggest moderate use of commas since lines of text in a song are already quite short. The music does a good job of giving a cue as to whether or not there’s a pause, and how long it is.

Thanks for the reply. it was more of a chant and I put commas at the end of each line to indicate that there was a pause. I had to type it quickly and suddenly realised that I wasn’t sure how to do it. Although from the examples I have found, I didn’t go that far wrong. Thanks for the help.