How do you fend off a pack of stray Taiwanese dogs?

Riding my bike this weekend on the riverside park in Taipei and I passed maybe 10 meters away from a pack of stray (probably feral) dogs and they suddenly starting chasing and trying to attack me (they were not playing). I had no idea what to do, and I don’t think it was safe to stop and get off my bike, especially with four of them after me, so I just starting riding as fast as I could. Three of the dogs seemed to break off after 2 minutes or so but one kept up for another minute then broke off.

Dang. I never realized that dogs could run that fast for so long! No way any human is going to escape from feral dogs on foot.

So I’m wondering what defenses or items I could use to fight back against stray dogs in Taiwan? I think carrying some knives might be in order. Any electric items like stun guns I could use to fend them off in Taipei? Any other suggestions?

Sh*t, Taipei riverside parks are f------ dangerous.

They might have just wanted something to chase like some dogs like to chase cars. They might not (probably not?) have attacked if you were on foot. I think a knife is a bad idea. If you’re really worried about it carry a couple of baseballs in a pouch to bounce off their heads if they’re about to bite your leg next time. If no dog attacks you can give your balls to some kids playing baseball sometime

Stop! Just stop. Continue slowly until you’re of their territory and lose interest in your ankles.

I’ve been chased while cycling by dogs many times. Some look like they wanted to play, some were barking at me but they kept their distance , some have barked while chasing but actually looked scared. These ones had a different look and attitude.

I know this sounds like crazy advice, but it is actually true. I had the same problem when I used to live in the jungle. Riding up the mountain, I always encountered these two dogs that would give chase. I would pin it up the hill but was worried about the times I would have my lady on the back with me. Someone on the flob told me to just stop. I was like, are you nuts? But it works. It really does. Takes some guts the first time, for sure. But stopping before you get to them and just as slow as possible, move thru their territory, then continue on your merry way.

Firstly, relax, put the knife down. It’s nearly impossible for a dog to bite a cyclist while pedaling, and vanishingly unlikely that they would try. In 15 years cycling in Taiwan and thousands of dog pack encounters, I’ve never had more than snarling, snapping and chasing for a short distance.

Like car chasing dogs, they are just following chase instinct that becomes re-enforced by the fact that they “win” every encounter by chasing off the cyclist. If for some reason you want to intervene and try to condition them out of this behavior, stopping, using your bike as a shield, and making calm, assertive eye contact will break their SOP and with a little yapping and confusion they’ll likely give up and move on.

Your best bet though is to keep very aware of your surroundings, other vehicles, and line, don’t let them distract or intimidate you, and just keep pedaling.

1 Like

Belgian Pie is right, you should just stop. They want you to ride away, that is what prey animals do when scared.

Stop and get off your bike and use it as a kind of shield (edit: I see plasmatron used the same phrasing :sunglasses: ) , putting it between you and the nearest dog. One might try to circle behind you but just turn and face it. I’ve found that if I pick up my bike and swing it around a little when I turn the dogs seem to realize I could hit them with it if they came in close. They quickly lose interest and I just back away until it is safe to get back on.

You could have a hell of an accident trying to race away from them.

Stop and use your bike as a shield/barrier between you and any immediate threat. They teach that in Colorado to mountain bikers when confronted by the wildlife there (panthers, bears, etc.)

1 Like

I agree with the stop thing, unless of course you know nothing about dogs and how to display dominance (which has nothing to do with violence). You don’t need to touch a dog at all to get it to back down.

The knife idea is a ridiculous one. You think they would understand what it is? If you stabbed one, you think that would scare the others off? I think you would more likely attract more aggressive behavior.

Some people here carry sticks , but they are not used to hit the dogs. Wagging a stick gives people more confidence, which is what the dogs sense. I suggest watching some Caesar Milan videos. He has the dominance body posture down to a science.

Knife idea was for a last resort. The bike in between rider and the dogs is something I had thought of, but in this case, they just approached me so fast, that they were near me before I knew it. There would have been no way to get off the bike before being bitten. Pepper spray might work, though only if they got too close. Or maybe spraying water on them would work too.

Stick might be a good idea. Actually a baton would be better, but that might be illegal in Taiwan.

The act of stopping would most likely have stopped them. The chance of them really attacking is so remote you should never consider it. The more you believe an attack could occur the more likely it will.

I have used the techniques people describe above to survive unhurt being attacked by packs of wild dogs in Tibet. Don’t act like prey and you won’t be perceived as prey.

1 Like

For sticks: I used to use a bike pump attached to my frame. I certainly never needed to take a swing with it, but the act of holding it made the dogs quiet down - whether it’s because I was holding a stick, or because holding it made me more confident, I don’t know. For that matter I’ve also found bending over to pretend I’m picking up an imaginary rock has had an effect too, although that wouldn’t apply when you’re on a bike. But yes, whenever I’ve been chased or faced aggressive dogs, I’ve always just stopped and put the bike between me and the dogs - never had a problem beyond that, although once or twice the dogs have been barking across the path I’d intended to take, and I’ve opted not to take that route. (That’s only happened on small, small back roads in the countryside.)

On “Don’t act like prey and you won’t be perceived as prey”: so if one, hypothetically of course, has a spouse who insists on acting like prey, what are good techniques?

OP, what time were you cycling? I’ve never had issues on the riverside paths, but I’m usually on those in daylight, and almost never after 9pm or so.

1 Like

Happens to me all the time. You just gotto keep an eye out.

1. Stop
  2. Take an agressive, dominant stance
  3. Yell “NO”
  4. proceed with caution

You can also threaten to throw a small rock at them. If they continue to follow throw the small rock pick up another one and repeat the process.

Yah I have that same problem now. I don’t have great answers for that. I tend to approach any dog first before they get near us. Approaching dogs confidently is another way of scaring them off or making them submissive. It doesn’t work 100%, but I have only seen one dog get dangerously aggressive with me because of this.

You can also keep your spouse behind you at all times. A walking stick helps to keep the dog from approaching too close and gives confidence.

I have also used the No shout but I don’t find it that effective. YMMV.

I think the “no” shout won’t work well since most dogs here don’t speak english. Maybe something like ‘zou kai’ works better then ‘no’.

1 Like

Broad daylight, around 1pm or so. Bit unusual, as I’ve been passed by many dogs on those paths. Most of the time I don’t get chased But if I get chased, I don’t perceive the dogs as being seriously threatening.

So how do all those elderly Taiwanese people who exercise in the park every morning survive these feral dog attacks?

Tai Chi.

How does Nonredneck get fit?

He goes down to the riverside park and gets the feral dogs to chase him.

Next year, the yellow jersey. :discodance:

1 Like

If you actually get attacked I hope you handle it as well as this Australian surfer in SA, just need to punch them in the back :thumbsup:. It will wake you up in the morning no caffeine needed

My guess is that these dogs surprised you, you had a very natural fear reaction because of that surprise, and they sensed it. We have a physiological reaction to things that surprise us and there’s nothing you can really do to control it at first, but I’m guessing the reason it’s never happened before is because you weren’t shocked/ frightened/ adrenaline pumping. Dogs sense that sort of reaction instantly-it’s like ‘smelling blood.’ If you see them again, especially if they do it again, stop as others have suggested. Yelling a quick HEY (a few times if needed, almost like barking) helps more than any stick. I’ve never seen a wild dog here that was truly aggressive- scared or territorial is different than aggressive.