How do you respond to staring and pointing?

[quote=“bob”]Peasant - A poor person of low social status who works on the land. Used of people who live in countries where farming is still a common way of life.

Isn’t there something fundamentaly wrong with using a derogatory word to describe the people who produce the food that you eat? Not that many Taiwanese are farmers anyway. They do however produce a lot of the parts that go into the computers that you use everyday.[/quote]
Indeed you are right. Ignorant benighted fuckwits, then. How’s that?

Thanks guys!
That feels good.
(big hugs!)
D

Whilst at the beach in Kaohsiung groups of people sometimes take pictures. Many a time have I noticed that while the photographer is taking pictures, the group have sneakily arranged their position to involve me in the picture, even sometimes with the camera facing the low sun. Sometimes people come up to me and ask to have their picture taken with me, even though I’ve never met them before and never am likely to again.

Now I’m not particularly attractive, but I know in Kaohsiung and Tainan we here foriegners are very much a novelty. Being stared at is the norm rather than the strange and it’s water off a ducks back to me now.

But I think for foreign women here it is very different. If I’m down south these days and I see a “foriegner women” I’m suprised and have a little glance. Therefore it’s not surprising that women get stared at.

True, some people here are viscious, bad mannered, rude and have very limited social skills. Some people are showing off to their mates that they dare to verbally confront a foreigner. (By confront, I mean scurrying off down the road whilst hurling abuse). Some people don’t like foreigners.

Every country is differnent. Unfortunately, this is part of the package that goes with Taiwan. People have their own ways of dealing with it, others find it too strange and just leave. That’s the way it is.

Bob you are a genius! Can you forget your hunger as well? Maybe you are not human.

[quote=“bob”]Peasant - A poor person of low social status who works on the land. Used of people who live in countries where farming is still a common way of life.

Isn’t there something fundamentaly wrong with using a derogatory word to describe the people who produce the food that you eat? Not that many Taiwanese are farmers anyway. They do however produce a lot of the parts that go into the computers that you use everyday.[/quote]

I’m a peasant. By your definition. And also, not all peasants are farmers. Would you pull up a black man who called another black man a “nigger” ? I’m sure you wouldn’t. :wink:

Thanks DaveorJimmy. Actually I have recently been bothered by the idea that I might be Jesus. Or maybe the next Dali Lama. I think it is just a question of waiting for the rest of the world to notice how brilliant and wise I am. You might want to put in your requests now before I get to big to talk to the likes of you.

I think turning the word “n.i.g.g.e.r.” into “person of a minority group” is just a little patronising. Can we turn this off please ?

It wasn’t my definition it was Cobuild’s if that makes any difference.

sorry to hear Bob that you are not fit to understand normal people’s problems.

Ever notice how a little bit of sarcasm leads to a little bit more sarcasm and then after a while nobody knows what anybody means anymore?
That could easily happen here so I think I’ll just come out straight with what I mean. Yes people stare at you here and that can be pretty unnerving. Unfortunately the more unnerved you get the wierder you look and the more they stare. Ignoring all of it is very good advice I think. I used to feel the same as you guys but in fact have not been bothered by it now for quite some time. I imagine the only thing that changed was me.

[quote][quote=“DaveorJimmy”]okay, so far I’ve got the information from you guys that it’s people’s
own fault if they feel uncomfortable when Taiwanese are rude.

Wookie, I want to come back to you. You label Taiwanese staring as “it’s a different culture and hence we should not measured people’s behavior with adjectives”. (which is utter crap in my book). What’s your idea about Sandman’s description of Taiwanese being “uneducated”? Isn’t that a slap in the face of any person who praises the way Chinese culture emphasis the importance of education? :unamused:[/quote][/quote]

(I will take up Sandman’s tack later.) What we are delaing with now is your high blood pressure resulting from all the rudeness being directed at you. Breathe…In…Out. No one’s out to get you or to subject their rudeness vibes at you as you walk down the street resulting in you falling down and breaking an ankle–God forbid.

My own actions on this when people are rude to me (oh yes, I get dissed here at times, it’s not all honey and roses), is to think what idiot that person is, and to acknowledge to myself that the problem lies within that person and outside of myself and my realm of influence. Therefore I can continue peacefully without anxiety or hostility.

Also, the word “rude” is one that meeds to be qualified. What’s rude to you isn’t necessarioy rude to the Taiwanese, hence, your inability to come to some kind of acceptance of your day to day encounters with the local populace.

I am also interested in your reaction to this “rudeness” you describe. I am not being facetious or condescending, but sometimes you do find what you look for. Perhaps a smile and an open countenance will dispel all those “rude” stares and possibly bring you some warm smiles in return and even some invitations to dinner, etc.

Then again, are you getting back what you project? (Again, I am not being facetious). When I go out in the mornings I say “Dzao” to the lady at the “do jiang” place and smile and make small talk at my Buddhist lunch place. And of course, there are always people in those stores checking me out and listening as I try to speak their language, but I don’t give a shit what they think. When I catch them looking at me I smile at them too.

On the other hand. If you take say, some Taiwanese girl and place her in place like say, Butte Montana (where she would likely be pretty exotic) and where she had to be in and around town everyday. I wonder if she would get stared at???Hmmmmmmmm. Perhaps surreptiotiously, but I am sure the whole town would be talking about her. Would they be rude to do so?

Wow! couldn’t have said it better. Tried to, but you did a much better and much more succinct job, :notworthy:

Actually wookie I was going to say that you said all the things I would have said if only I knew how! :notworthy:

[quote=“Wookiee”]TG, The crazy eyes thing will work, but here are some alternatives. Read on.

Stares used to drive me nuts–especially 10 years ago when it was more intense–until I figured out how to deal with the situation.
What I did was just looked right back and gave a sexy wink. It worked like a charm. When I winked people just didn’t know where to look, their faces turned red and they got all embarassed…

…Occasionally though, I still get those intense starers and I have to revert to my sexy wink routine.
Hope this helps.[/quote]

Wookie this post is one of my all time favorites. Your attitude has really brightened my day. Usually I don’t get bothered by people staring, but when I’m having a bad day, I won’t hesitate to pull out my crazy eyes with a side of open mouth gawking right back at them.

But I really like the sounds of your wink tactic. The next time I’m tempted to use my crazy eyes, I’m going to go right ahead and give em a sexy little wink :wink:

Yo Erhu,
Hope it works. But if you get in trouble, i.e. someone thinks that your winks are a come-on, you may try alternating between the winks and crazy eyes routines. Should confuse the dickens out of would be predators, if it comes down to it.

No matter if it’s ignore it, smile around or other little tricks, all this techniques reflect the fact that it is not easy to act naturally in those everyday encounters.
It is the same for all humans, we need the feeling that we are normal. And this is impossible in Taiwan. I can deal with it, have a bad day once in a while. But it can be challenging. Every inch, every millisecond people stick it to you. Every moment is filled with only one message “you are different”.
I understand that some of you are numb enough to brush this off. I see that some of you might struggle to understand that Taiwanese are oblivious to our need to be treated as a normal person. (and it is not only about staring, extreme friendly sweet talking and a childish and monotonous “ni hao bang” does the trick as well) And this is indeed baffling. Taiwanese/Chinese/Asian people themselves feel the need to have a place, to be amongst friends and families, to feel normal. They must really think that we are different.

What is so baffling about it? Sucks to be the minority for once eh?

Not only are westerners rare in Taiwan, a lot of the locals also hold them in high regard, and as such to the locals not only do westerners have the rare factor, they also have the wow factor.

On the flip side, when I first immigrated to Australia when I was ten, I lived in a very small country town with a population of around three thousand. In that town, as far as I know, there were, including my own family, three Chinese households. In the primary school that I attended, I was the only Chinese, and yes I drew attention from the locals, at least for a while, until people got used to it. Damn them, ignorant convicts.

How dare you refer to upstanding Australian citizens as noting more than ordinary “convicts” . . . .

For your information, the correct terminology is “descendants of convicts” . . . . .

And the interesting point, for you Chinese, is to note that even the descendants of English convicts can develop into a modern civilized developed country in the world, (and which has a populace which maintains a clean environment, and doesn’t litter everywhere) in a mere 200 years or so . . . . . . , which is more than the Chinese have been able to accomplish in 5000 years . . . . .

I guess it’s the genes!!!

The population density of China/Taiwan and Australia are incommensurable.

I was using the word convict in jest, poking fun at people who constantly refer to the entire population of Taiwanese as a bunch of ignorant peasants. :slight_smile:

That they are all violently alcoholic redneck descendants of convicts whose idea of sport is throwing up on the barbie after a round of boxing pet kangaroos is what we Americans love about the Australians. It’s like Texas, but upside down.

cranks up AC/DC, does Beavis & Butthead face