How do you respond to staring and pointing?

[quote=“Erhu”][quote=“Wookiee”]TG, The crazy eyes thing will work, but here are some alternatives. Read on.

Stares used to drive me nuts–especially 10 years ago when it was more intense–until I figured out how to deal with the situation.
What I did was just looked right back and gave a sexy wink. It worked like a charm. When I winked people just didn’t know where to look, their faces turned red and they got all embarassed…

That works! I have used it on Taiwanese gay men many times (spend a lot of time in gay bars…)…never thought of using it on the general populace. Hmm.

[quote=“DaveorJimmy”]okay, so far I’ve got the information from you guys that it’s people’s
own fault if they feel uncomfortable when Taiwanese are rude.

Wookie, I want to come back to you. You label Taiwanese staring as “it’s a different culture and hence we should not measured people’s behavior with adjectives”. (which is utter crap in my book). What’s your idea about Sandman’s description of Taiwanese being “uneducated”? Isn’t that a slap in the face of any person who praises the way Chinese culture emphasis the importance of education? :unamused:[/quote]

I like what DaveorJimmy has to say

What I don’t get is how the hell can some guy can tell a girl that the way she’s being stared at is in her head?? I ask you guys this, why should anyone just get over being stared at? Being male and being female, even in today’s suposed equal opportunity world, they are two different things.

To add something else to the claims that the staring etc is a cultural thing, it’s not, it’s an education thing. They are not the same. The school I work at educates its students on manners, how to behave around a foreigner. In fact every Junior or Senior high school that i’ve worked in and the students have behaved rudely, the school has apologised for their behavior and making me feel uncomfortable.

I refuse to accept that it’s ok to stare at me, to approach my table and stand there watching whilst I eat, to follow me, to speak about me in Chinese where I can hear. Now here is the thing, we foreigners as a group have mostly accepted this behavior as we have said nothing (or at least very little as a whole). Most Taiwanese people think that it’s ok to stare because we are different and we’ve never complained. If more foreigners stood up and said please don’t do that you are making me feel uncomfortable, then perhaps they would understand that we don’t like. I’ve been told by a few Taiwanese teachers that most Taiwanese believe foreigners like being the centre of attention, so therefore we like being stared at. Sitting back and saying get over it or get used to it, is only encouraging Taiwanese people to think that we like and accept this behaviour. The other thing I want to say is this, just because it doesn’t bother you, doesn’t mean you have the right to tell others that they should be like you.

I disagree.

Taiwan is not a culturally diverse country like the US, or Australia. If, say, more than 98% of the population in Australia are white caucasians, then I’d find it hard to believe that people won’t stare at, say, Asians or Africans for no other reason apart from the fact that they might have never seen one before, or very rarely ever see one. According to one of several Internet sources, these are the ethnic groups in Taiwan: Taiwanese (including Hakka) 84%, mainland Chinese 14%, aborigine 2%.

Now, if we take this hypothetical assumption a step further, and imagine that in today’s world, the “western” countries are not the ones leading the world economically, militarily and in fashion and entertainment and God knows what else, but rather, it is the Asian countries. If the aforementioend two assumptions were true, then, again, people will probably stare at Asians and all the while thinking to themselves, “wow, an Asian here in Australia”.

Certainly I am not saying you have to be happy about being stare at or accept it, but some of you seems to think that if the situation was completely reversed, you, or your countrymen would never do the same thing.

Through out my primary, secondary, undergraduate and postgraduate years in Australia, I’ve never been “taught” how to behave around foreigners. I don’t stare at people because, well, people of different races and ethnicities are everywhere and it is no big deal if I see someone that looks ‘different’.

By the way, has anyone been to Japan? Do they stare at foreigners? I am curious because unlike the “stupid” people in Taiwan, the Japanese education level is very comparable to the United States, but much like Taiwan, about 99% of the people in Japan are Japanese with Chinese and Koreans making up the last 1%.

When I spent a couple or so months travelling around Japan in the mid 1980s, I visited several unsegregated communal hot-spring baths, mostly in remote locations (mixed bathing having all but disappeared in the larger urban centers). When this rare gaijin made his appearance, sticking out so much like the proverbial sore thumb, many of the women in the baths were extremely curious and stared quite openly at me in all my naked glory. Being a bit of an exhibitionist, I thoroughly enjoyed the attention. :wink:

Is it considered to be rude to stare if you are Taiwanese?
Actually Isaac, my mother taught me that it was rude to stare – with a lot of negative re-enforcement. :wink: (I didn’t see my first Asian until I left home to join the army…and no, I didn’t stare when I did…I had learned my lesson well by then)

Yes. One of the most popular phrases in Taiwanese is “what the fuck are you looking at?”

Anyone know which one I am refering to? There is no written form of Taiwanese, but if I had to write it in Chinese it’d look something like “看三小”.

[quote]
Actually Isaac, my mother taught me that it was rude to stare[/quote]

Well, same thing can be said about the Taiwanese, no? I am sure not all of them stare?

[quote="OmniloquaciousWhen this rare gaijin made his appearance, sticking out so much like the proverbial sore thumb, many of the women in the baths were extremely curious and stared quite openly at me in all my naked glory. Being a bit of an exhibitionist, I thoroughly enjoyed the attention. :wink:[/quote]

Yeash, where can I find this kind of bathing in Taiwan. No, I don’t want to see Omni, but the thought of mixed bathing… :shocker:

[quote=“Isaac”]Yes. One of the most popular phrases in Taiwanese is “what the fuck are you looking at?”

Anyone know which one I am refering to? There is no written form of Taiwanese, but if I had to write it in Chinese it’d look something like “看三小”.[/quote]

Yah…it’s usually said by crew-cut, betel-chewing Taiwanese gangsters before pulling out their knives, baseball bats, motorcycle locks, etc.

In any case, I’m Taiwanese but don’t look/dress like most (kinda hard when you’re 6’ and 180 lbs) and get plenty of stares. What’s the big deal? You’re different and you get looked at.

I get it.

Erhu,

Babe, if I be staring at you, it cause you so fiiiiine.

What crap. It’s impolite in the West perhaps, but that’s about it.[/quote]

What crap. It’s impolite here, too.

Yes. One of the most popular phrases in Taiwanese is "what the fuck are you looking at?"

kwa hsia hsiao isn’t really every day side walk talk, it’s like someone pointed out what huai ren shout before they try to cut you up.

The point is that people don’t go around staring at people, unless they want to get beat up.

Most Taiwanese people understands that staring causes people discomfort and may lead to confrontation and violence. It is not a foreign concept that the Taiwanese people are oblivious to, like some people seems to believe.

Yah, very few people will openly gape at someone.

Schoolgirls tend to giggle and whisper behind their hands while glancing at you
Older women tend to look at you sideways (sometimes with a frown)

What else have people seen/experienced?

[quote=“mod lang”]That they are all violently alcoholic redneck descendants of convicts whose idea of sport is throwing up on the barbie after a round of boxing pet kangaroos is what we Americans love about the Australians. It’s like Texas, but upside down.
[/quote]

Now that’s funny, and very accurate. It explains why I always feel instantly at ease with an Austalian. But I don’t get the bit about throwing up on barbie dolls. …

[quote=“gretel”]I believe locals know that staring is not nice but yes it is often incredulity that does it. I’ve had ‘evil glares’ and other blatant hostility aswell tg. I was alone in some hot springs in Maolin and I was told to go back where I came from by some local yuppies who then proceeded to tell me how pretty I was after I told them where I came from I learnt Chinese! The other day I was leaning against a column outside a department store munching away on a mcchicken waiting to meet some friends. This man and a couple of women walked past and the man continued staring at me over his shoulder with a look of scorn on his face. He said something to his sister/girlfriend and she turned her head around to have a look too. Mind you, they were all walking in the opposite direction, walking without watching where they were going, so they could have a good stare. It was the scorn that got to me. It was not innocent curiosity. I stared back and shrugged at him. Finally when they were about 30 meters away, he called out “ta hen e!” It was a criticism. This complete stranger took issue with me eating in public. If I hadn’t been a foreign woman?

At a bar I was alone again waiting for my friends and the bitchy xioajies behind the bar starting talking about how ugly and dirty I was. Not impressed, dude. You know what I have noticed over time, though? I have been treated with more respect when I have company with me - especially a bunch of fellow Westerners. Alone and without support, it seems I am a like a bad post or something just waiting to be torn to shreds. Alone, your every move is scrutinised and a wrong move or a single ungraceful gesture is eagerly anticipated so that you can be mocked and put down. It’s not in my head. With a friend or two, the same people who are waiting to see you be humiliated are completely different people who are all smiles and compliments. In other words, I’ve met people who ARE out to get you!

These are just the worst experiences I 've had, though… PM me for a bunch of amazing ones to make up for them!

I agree about the discrepancy between what we are told about the friendliness of the locals and how friendly they really are. In my experience people are most friendly (my definition of friendly is: not looking for flaws and mistakes and failure to conform to the same standard of politeness/manners) when you are not alone.

Other staring situations that get to you on a bad day: At the lights, people stare at you through their or your side mirrors. For some reason, this method is one that particularly bothers me. In public places, people spot you and then turn around to walk past you again to have another look, or pretend they’re staring at something behind you. Most of it’s all in good fun though.[/quote]

I’ve found that the staring thing is very easy to take when you are with a couple of other foreigners, you can laugh and joke and share the attention together and its not intimidating. However if you are on your own and maybe minding your own business daydreaming and some obasan or little shits start interfering or shouting hello on their scooters as they go past this can be very annoying. I am only one of two white guys working in a massive office complex in Taipei. I rarely get stared at , the reason, because the people that work there are well educated and well travelled and understand it can be intimidating sometimes when you are the only obivous minority. I noticed the only other foreigner there a cafe last week. What was most striking is that he kind of faced his chair towards a pillar so nobody could see his face. I actually do the same thing if I’m having a coffee on my own sometime so I can have some privacy without people gawking at me. Of course I was guilty of staring at the only other foreigner a little too!!! Irony.
Anyway most of my coworkers are also cool with me and only remark in their kind of farmer way that my face looks really red today or I look kind of sick or fatter etc…but I don’t really mind that at all. I can understand that many of them would be quite interested to figure out what country we are from etc. and what the hell we are doing here and how is the life here etc. Some of others wouldn’t give a rats arse which is fine too.
Everybody has a certain threshold that they can take of staring and what I would better call ‘privacy interference’. Myself, I would find it very difficult to live in Tainan cos my threshold is low and I would end up having it out with machete wielding scooter punks.

For instance, if you have to take a crowded train or subway for a half an hour, a crowded bus for another 20 minutes this could reach close to the limit for some people. If they have a stressful or ‘people’ job on top of that it can push people to the edge. For other people it’s fine. For me one of the reasons I like to ride a scooter is because I become anonymous under my helmet and join the masses easily.
Taiwanese dont just do the staring thing to foreigners. There are tonnes of dirty old men out there who do it openly on the subway all the time, often with their middle aged wife sitting beside them. They are never shamefaced about it even when it causes a lot of discomfort for the girls.

Interestingly when I was in Milan recently I took the subway there. There was a chinese couple sitting beside me. Some old woman stared at the girl from head to shoulder for 15 minutes. So it can really go both ways sometimes. One of the delights of the trip was being able to sit in a cafe and feel like I wasn’t the object of attention from surrounding tables (which is often inevitable if you are a single foreigner in a restaurant or cafe here).

As for Sandman’s point about staring not being unfriendly. I find it decidedly rude AND unfriendly if the staring continues for some time after the first initial look. Unfriendly in my book is making someone feeling uncomfortable and continuing to do this while being aware of it.

On my scooter I often fantasise about opening up a t-shirt factory making t-shirts that say “It’s rude to stare” or “Look, a foreigner” or “Stare at me because I’m a foreigner.” And signs to stick on the mudflaps of my scooter, and all the way down my jeans. Does anyone else suffer from these delusions?

What would your t-shirt say?

I’m Aussie, and I do tend to get along with Texans! How cool is that!

Most Taiwanese people understands that staring causes people discomfort and may lead to confrontation and violence. It is not a foreign concept that the Taiwanese people are oblivious to, like some people seems to believe.

empty words Isaac, what is it you want to say? That we, who get stared at everyday do imagine those behavior?

Gretel, some years ago, I have seen a guy with a T-Shirt which said
something like “chu guo, ni jiou shi wain guo ren”.
My opinion, forget it, any kind of situation reflecting humor, or funny philosophical remarks won’t be understood by those who stare. The staring is a by-product of people’s dull state of mind, you could make them laugh with some very practical cartoon joke, a funny face would do. But basically, you just do the clown, cleverness won’t be rewarded.

Staring is just plain rude. It’s one thing for a person to look for a few seconds, it’s another when they stand there mouth agape.

Sometimes I just stare back without blinking my eyes… even for more than a minute. I’ve had the locals up and leave when I return the stare.

So it’s obviously not a nice thing… just practice the long unblinking stare back… It’s even better to think of something that really pisses you off as you start to stare back…

It’s also useful to learn Taiwanese expressions such as Li Kua Hsia Hsiao?.. or Li Chong Hsia? People soon stop looking at you.

My God, how stupid can you be? Can you even read?

I said, the Taiwanese for the most part understands that staring at people can make others feel uncomfortable and will probably lead to confrontation and violence. I never said they in fact don’t stare at foreigners.

Sounds contradictory? Not really. If people know smoking is bad for them, is that the same thing as saying people don’t smoke?

It merely means that even though people are aware that staring is rude, there are two primary contributing factors, which I believe leads them to stare despite knowing that it is rude.

Many Taiwanese stare at foreigners, I am not disputing this. What I am disputing is that, educational level probably has less to do with these behaviors than most people think.