How do you respond to staring and pointing?

[quote=“superking”]How do you know people are staring at you? Are you looking for it?

Some of you would make shit celebrities.[/quote]

They are directing their gaze at me or my children or indulging in their favorite habit of rubbernecking. It’s not difficult, granted the odd time the are just daydreaming or looking at something else.

We get stared at 100s of times a day, you just have to deal with it and ignore it as much as possible. It’s very obvious to people who just arrive in Taiwan, friends and family all commented.

It’s not the worst place in the world for staring by a longshot, most are fairly discreet and many do not do it, but a sizable minority do it all the same. It’s not that surprising because there are VERY few westerners in Taiwan, especially outside Taipei.

I honestly don’t know what you guys from Taipei are talking about. I just went there to renew my passport and I was stared at maybe once or twice the entire time I was there. Compared to Chiayi, it was really a breath of fresh air.

If you went to the zoo, would you ignore all the animals?

Something exotic is worth having a look at.

Accepting the situation is the only way.

I agree with FM (above). Whenever I go to Taipei I only get a mild glance. Down south a get draw dropping gapping stares :smiley:

So I’m the tiger in the zoo! Nothing I can do to change my stripes.

But foreigners aren’t exotic in Taipei. :laughing: In one day, I saw at least 50-60 foreigners. I don’t know if there are that many in total in Chiayi! Those Taipei foreigners have it easy. :raspberry:

Bunch of cry babies!!! :popcorn:

it is not kind to stare at someone who seems to be on the brink of a heart attack, but blather on.

I just finished reading this thread from page 1: what a blast from the past!
Many gems from once regulars now long gone.

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]I just finished reading this thread from page 1: what a blast from the past!
Many gems from once regulars now long gone.

Right on they are missed here.

I don’t often see other foreigners, so I stare when I see one and tell the person next to me ‘mei gouren mei gouren!’

I

But foreigners aren’t exotic in Taipei. :laughing: In one day, I saw at least 50-60 foreigners. I don’t know if there are that many in total in Jiayi! Those Taipei foreigners have it easy. :raspberry:

Bunch of cry babies!!! :popcorn:[/quote]

50 or 60?! Where did you go? Computex?

Addresses, please. :lick:

But foreigners aren’t exotic in Taipei. :laughing: In one day, I saw at least 50-60 foreigners. I don’t know if there are that many in total in Jiayi! Those Taipei foreigners have it easy. :raspberry:

Bunch of cry babies!!! :popcorn:[/quote]

50 or 60?! Where did you go? Computex?

Addresses, please. :lick:[/quote]
I took the MRT about 6 times. I was mostly around the Taipei 101 area. I also went to Bongos for lunch and did some shopping in that area as well. Foreigners everywhere I tell you!!! :discodance:

Computex, then. :laughing: And foreign students. :roflmao:

Was Computex open 2 weeks ago? They sure didn’t look like foreign students.

Was Computex open 2 weeks ago? They sure didn’t look like foreign students.[/quote]

Late May, June and July are the high season for the high tech fairs, not just Computex. Everything from electronics for cars, panel displays, etc. So the Xinyi area is crawling with foreign buyers.

The Gongguan area is also full of “temporary students”, with the US universities exchange groups coming in for summer terms.

That’s what I mean. Just passing by eye candy. :lick:

If Taiwan wanted a lot of honkies around, it could make it like it used to be. Open work permits for all gringos. And also invite students to do a sponsored semester in TAiwan vis-a-vis a lot of US and European Universities.

White people can come here if they want to, but why would they want to? It’s difficult to adapt to, costs a lot to just get to, hot and humid, far away, crowded, hard to earn a living, there are few international tourists or business people, hard to get around with lack of English. Most people would have no interest to visit here let alone live here, even friends and family back home.

" like it used to be.", says Tommy. When?

The seventies?

" like it used to be.", says Tommy. When?

The seventies?[/quote]
And the ever present “gringo”/“honkies” comment by a half white half Taiwanese dude in reference to foreigners in Taiwan. :ohreally:

I agree. Frightfully shocking!
At least apply some relevant scathing epithet.
May I recommend:
Red-Headed Barbarian, Uitlander, Blue-Eyed Foreign Devil, Strange Country Person, and last but by no means least, Sassenach.

I guess i can refer to myself as half a honkie? hapahonkie? Or perhaps a Tringo (half taiwanese/ half gringo) ? Instead of a Gringo?

But hey honky and gringo aint offensive ya know?

YEs up to bout to bout early 90s you could still work without too much scrutiny.

After that it went all anal.

:astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: :astonished: