How do you respond to staring and pointing?

After living here, it’s hard to image why anyone would come here. Before coming here, it’s hard to image why anyone wouldn’t…haha…If you could do it all over knowing what you know now, would you still move here?

After living here, it’s hard to image why anyone would come here. Before coming here, it’s hard to image why anyone wouldn’t…haha…If you could do it all over knowing what you know now, would you still move here?[/quote]
Yes, I would have come three years earlier though and done some things a little differently.

After living here, it’s hard to image why anyone would come here. Before coming here, it’s hard to image why anyone wouldn’t…haha…If you could do it all over knowing what you know now, would you still move here?[/quote]
Yes, I would have come three years earlier though and done some things a little differently.[/quote]

I would do the same, too, and also do some things differently.

I WOULD JOYFULLY DO EVERYTHING EXACTLY AS I HAVE DONE, EVERYTIME

don’t you guyz know your Nietzsche?

[quote=“trubadour”]I would JOYFULLY DO EVERYTHING EXACTLY AS I have DONE, EVERYTIME

don’t you guyz know your Nietzsche?[/quote]
Not a huge fan of German philosophers. Far too droll for my taste.

[quote=“trubadour”]I WOULD JOYFULLY DO EVERYTHING EXACTLY AS I HAVE DONE, EVERYTIME

:no-no:
Obviously, you don’t.
The above quote is, in diction and in spirit, quite indicative of the abominable manner in which the nuance of Nietchy has been repeatedly sabotaged.

[quote=“TheGingerMan”][quote=“trubadour”]I would JOYFULLY DO EVERYTHING EXACTLY AS I have DONE, EVERYTIME

Obviously, you don’t.
The above quote is, in diction and in spirit, quite indicative of the abominable manner in which the nuance of Nietchy has been repeatedly sabotaged.[/quote]

Most people also dunno that he rarely came up with anything on his own, SO much of his stuff he took from his contemporaries, or even Jewish stories which predated him a couple hundred years at most…reworded the just a TEENSY bit and passed it off as though they were his own ideas.

I don’t think this thread deserves a spectacle with our in-house professors discussing “Nietchy” and other completely unimportant German philosophers. :roflmao:

[quote=“Confuzius”][quote=“TheGingerMan”][quote=“trubadour”]I would JOYFULLY DO EVERYTHING EXACTLY AS I have DONE, EVERYTIME

Obviously, you don’t.
The above quote is, in diction and in spirit, quite indicative of the abominable manner in which the nuance of Nietchy has been repeatedly sabotaged.[/quote]

Most people also dunno that he rarely came up with anything on his own, SO much of his stuff he took from his contemporaries, or even Jewish stories which predated him a couple hundred years at most…reworded the just a TEENSY bit and passed it off as though they were his own ideas.[/quote]

This is a valid point you make. He did synthesize much of what he read in libraries. However, I would argue that is precisely the point. His whole trip was atavistic.
Not that there is anything wrong with that.
Oblique often carries the day!

All the staring and pointing makes me feel like this:

“I am not an elephant! I am not an animal! I am a human being! I am a man!”

[quote=“TheGingerMan”]

He did synthesize much of what he read in libraries. [/quote]

A highly prized academic skill. You try writing what you think in a science paper and watch as your grade comes back with shit all over it. :smiley:

[quote=“bismarck”][quote=“trubadour”]I would JOYFULLY DO EVERYTHING EXACTLY AS I have DONE, EVERYTIME

Not a huge fan of German philosophers. Far too droll for my taste.[/quote]

Not Nietzsche: he wrote The Gay Science

Of course ‘gay’ had different connotations at the time.

“sorry, no autographs.”
“Goddamn papparazzi following me while I am on vacation.”

My response changes all the time. These days I do my best to give the staring person/people my back.

[quote=“downtownandrew”]“sorry, no autographs.”
“Goddamn papparazzi following me while I am on vacation.”[/quote]

LOL, that’s a cute way to put it. Yesterday I was still in a foul mood and I literally growled at this weird looking guy that was going through the routine of “do you speak Chinese? do you understand English?”. Usually I am a pleasant, all smiles self. It ocurred to me I’d make a terrible celebrity, if you have to smile all the time, a budding career is doomed.

[quote=“formosa”]i heard the #1 worst place in the world for pointing and staring is

INDIA

bar none.

Anyone confirm?[/quote]

Yeah, it was pretty bad there. Not bad in Mumbai, but anywhere outside of the downtown core of Mumbai. Southern Sri Lanka was just awful.

[quote=“Kick-Stand”]
Yeah, it was pretty bad there. Not bad in Mumbai, but anywhere outside of the downtown core of Mumbai. Southern Sri Lanka was just awful.[/quote]

so it’s Karma when they goto the US they got all the Apu impressions?

“Wo bushi ingway ro”
I am not a piece of meat.

Is there some crazy foreigners news lately?

People seem to be looking at me in bewilderment more than usual the last week or so on the street. Whenever I look up, someone is looking at me. A bit startling.

Are you sure it’s not you on the news?

You didn’t accidentally walk out of a 7-11 without paying, or something? :slight_smile: