How high are our chances to score a decent job in Taipei?

https://vimeo.com/34353538

2 Likes

I had this whole thing written, but re-reading OPā€™s post I see heā€™s interested in a marketing position. I have no idea about the marketing field. So I guess this is more a general job info post. For teaching, the best time to apply is from now until about May or June when schools start making hiring decisions. Some places have rolling deadlines. Teaching doesnā€™t pay great (certainly nowhere near the salary you want for that marketing manager position), but I find it rewarding.

IMO, your ability to get a good job depends on three criterion:

(a) Your level of experience and qualifications, (b) Where you are, and Ā© Who you know.

For example, I have a full-time university job in Kaohsiung. I have a Masters and almost a decade of ESL teaching experience, but I donā€™t think I could have gotten such a sweet gig in Taipei unless I had a PhD as well. My wife is also a teacher and one of her old professors is part of the faculty and recommended the position. So thereā€™s a variety of factors that come into play. Taipei is difficult these days. Unless youā€™re cool with an average cram-school position, Iā€™d suggest checking out Kaohsiung, Taichung, Tainan or some other place. I assume if teaching jobs are easier in the smaller cities, then other jobs such as the one OP desires may be as well. Speaking Mandarin is a plus and will certainly help you.

oh really? thank you for your response. Generally speaking, people in Taiwan seem friendly and nice comparing to people in Sydney.

Taiwanese are hospitable. You are their guest, so they make an effort to treat you as a guest. That is what you likely saw. Visiting and living are two different things.

When you get into the living in Taiwan aspect, such as utilities, opening bank accounts, opening credit cards, renting, buying a house (probably wonā€™t happen unless you pay cash or get a Taiwanese guarantor), and working here, you will see a different side to Taiwan.

The citizenship law here says volumes. Taiwanese do not have to give up their citizenship to get a second passport. But non-Taiwanese must renounce their citizenship to gain a Taiwanese passport. One standard for Taiwanese, one standard for everyone else. To me, it doesnā€™t seem like a non-Taiwanese can ever be equal to a Taiwanese here.

1 Like

thank you for your information! As Iā€™m a Mandarin Chinese speaker, I just like the culture and food over there and wish I can find a job there.

[quote=ā€œnonredneck, post:85, topic:156767, full:trueā€]
To me, it doesnā€™t seem like a non-Taiwanese can ever be equal to a Taiwanese here.[/quote]

You say that like itā€™s a bad thing?

[quote=ā€œRocket, post:87, topic:156767, full:trueā€]

Yeah, thatā€™s definitely a double-edged chopstick. I thank the Buddha every day Iā€™m not treated like the locals at work.

[quote=ā€œDr_Milker, post:88, topic:156767, full:trueā€]

Yeah, I know what you mean.

Like, for example, Iā€™ve never beat up a local person.

Well, most of the abuse is mental, but Iā€™d rather get pimp-slapped than sit through some of those ā€œmorale buildingā€ meetings with the boss.

[quote=ā€œRocket, post:87, topic:156767, full:trueā€]

OK. I get your point. I forgot that the locals treat each other like garbage a lot of the time, especially at work. There is some positive discrimination that goes on, treating certain types of foreigners more favorably that the locals in some situations.

Ha. Exactly. In many ways foreigners from the west are treated much better than locals.

True, but you are also excluded from a lot of things like promotions, pay-rises and career progression.

Of course, if you had to go through what local folks have to go through for ā€œthings like promotions, pay-rises and career progressionā€, never mind the paltry outcome, youā€™d be outraged and insulted and youā€™d piss all over the whole deal, so, you knowā€¦keep cutting, but I donā€™t see a lot of bleeding in your future, sport.

1 Like