How important is a Chinese name?

Dan I see your point, but I think there are good practical considerations for choosing a common surname and well-known characters for the rest of your name. If your Chinese is still not that good it might be difficult to explain to people how to write it. I didn’t choose my name, it was given to me, but I was lucky enough to get ‘wang’. I don’t have the hassle of people asking ‘which “xu” is that?’ and it’s really easy to write On the other hand I once had a friend who wanted to call himself yi er san, because they were the only chracters he could write

When I first got here, someone said to me “don’t choose a Chinese name, wait for someone to give you one” and I think there’s something to that.

I like two character names, but I see ironlady’s point there too.

Bri

I’m damned proud to say that I went to Shih-ta for three years and never got lumbered with a Chinese name – and you HAVE to have one there to register. Don’t know how I got away with it really, but whenever people asked me for a Chinese name I simply said I didn’t have one and if they insisted that I must I told them to make one up – which they never dared do. Never have approved of this Chinese name nonsense. I’m not Chinese, why on earth should I have a Chinese name? Oh, and since someone is bound to ask this, no I don’t see why the Chinese should use Western names to facilitate interchanges with Westerners. They should use their own names and make the Westerners sweat it.

When I first arrived in Taiwan, nobody could pronounce my name correctly, especially in Chiayi, where I was living. After hearing my name butchered one too many times, I gave up and asked for a chinese name (Not a Chinese version of an English name!). I was given a nickname, “Da Mao”, which turned out to be invaluable in making friends with people who wouldn’t have been normally able to say my English name. My younger brother, naturally, became Xiao Mao when he came to visit me, and a year later, when he went on a high school exchange to China with his classmates, he was always the one with whom the Chinese students spoke most frequently, just because they could pronounce his name easily.

I agree with Mr. Sanders that locals shouldn’t feel compelled to choose an English name. The roman alphabet allows us to pronounce foreign names more accurately than Chinese does. Also, I think some of the names chosen by locals are just ridiculous. One student I had informed me that her name was Pruedissana (her spelling). She said she wanted to use this “English” name because it was more convenient! I asked her where she got it, and she told me that she made it up (Surprise, surprise). I told her that I also liked using my Chinese name, “Bala ba Bulu” out of convenience, and she said without a hint of irony, “But that’s not a Chinese name!” I said, “But I made it up, AND I can write it in Chinese!” She still didn’t get it. And Taiwanese citizens who give themselves names like Apollo, Adonis, Pandora, etc, are just opening themselves up to ridicule.

If and when you get a “real” Chinese name, make sure that you know how to describe the characters. For instance, my Chinese surname, “Dai” is “Dai maozi de dai”, i.e. the Dai in the sentence of putting on a hat. The Quan in my name is “Quan shui de quan”, i.e. the quan found in the word for spring or mineral water. Especially in telephone conversations with strangers, you might be asked for this name, from the pizza place, the cable tv place or wherever.

I’d be curious to know if it is possible to have a non-Chinese name and still be a Chinese citizen. Given the phonetic limitations of Chinese, it would be impossible to write most foreign names in Chinese. Could one be a Mr. Smith and still become a citizen of Taiwan without a Sinicized name? What about local women who marry foreigners? Are there any who have legally changed their surnames to their husband’s surname, as is common in the west? Can Miss Chen Huimei become Ms. Julie Peterson, without giving up her nationality, or does she have to submit to the unwieldy “Pidesun Zhuli”?

If you wind up in the hospital for some reason, it’s useful to have a Chinese name. That’s how I acquired mine. Of course it’s a bastardization of my English name, and quite a common Taiwanese female name, “Li Jen”.
This name is used on my phone bills, some bank accounts, and various other things. I rarely use it, but some Taiwanese friends call me that, while others call me “Lali”.
My Chinese surname is my ex-husband’s, but there’s no reason to change it because that’s the only one I ever had, so no biggie.

Originally posted by Maoman:

quote[quote]Could one be a Mr. Smith and still become a citizen of Taiwan without a Sinicized name?[/quote]

I remember reading that some members of Taiwan’s tribes were unhappy that they were not able to have their real – i.e. original language, not Sinicized – names listed on their Taiwan ID cards. Not enough space to fit all those letters, it seems.

Most of my foreign friends call me “TC”, which sounds not unlike “Kick to death” in Taiwanese. Probably not the best name in the world. To my Chinese friends I’m just “Ah-ming”. My Chinese name is extremely common. There were five people in the Hsinchu phonebook with the same name, and I would guess there are dozens in Taipei. But it has good “ba zi” so I’m happy. It also happens to be a common Japanese name, which could be useful.

My Chinese name was chose by my first-year Chinese teacher at the University. It is 司馬偉. This name was chosen to be phonetic as well as meaninguful. 偉 implies David and 司馬 implies Schnell. The name together implies a “great official of the Sima clan”. The dual-character surname (like 歐陽, 太史, 皇甫, 諸&#33883 ) is rare and gives a feeling of a family of stature from the ages of old. 偉 means great.
The random name generator gave me a little shock! It named me 沈旦舞: One Immersed in a Dawn Dance. Lost in dance trance til dawn is a favorite pasttime of mine.

My boyfriend chose my Chinese name for me. As Schnell said, it was chosen to be both phonetic (as possible) and meaningful. It is Fu4 Jing4Shan1.

The surname (meaning “teacher”) is based on the first letter of my English surname, and the fact that I work in education. The first or given name (meaning “quiet mountain”) is as close to my first name (Jonathan) as possible. The mountain part works, as I’m what is considered in the US big & tall (198 cm, and we won’t state the weight ). I’m not sure where he got the quiet from, though. Me quiet? Hmmmm?

As for Cranky’s comment that the third tone is difficult for beginners. I must be unusual (weird?). I have more trouble with the second tone. Oh well…

Now, some questions… Can you/should you legally change your name to a Chinese name? How often do you use it? Is it just good to have one for easier recognition, etc…? Is it easier to use when setting up accounts, paying bills, etc…? What is the most important reason to have one, or not have one?

Thanks in advance…

Rgds,

LJ

I would be aliitle wary of putting your CHinese name on your visa application…

If you get in troubly wubbly in Taipers, which who knows may happen, and you have to “lose” your passport, they’ll get you with your chinese name as they got me. I know they cross-reference on names and dates of birth, but this isn;t flagged up unless there is a suspicion. The Chinese name is always displayed on their pooters.

I presented a nice visa-free Australian passport to a nice chappie at Chung Hwa travel in Honkers who asked me was I the same Hexuan who had been visitng Taiwan for 2 years on a British passport. What could I say ? (I said I wanted to keep the remaining few pages of my almost used up Aussie passport as I was planning to move there soon and um er didnt want to get a new one - pure twaddle)

When I was looking for a name that wasn’t just my English name with an “uh” in the middle, I picked a character I liked, and that was not different in short-form (I don’t want my name bastardised when written in short form) and asked around in the pub (the Bushiban). The girlfriend of a German bloke sorted me out with the surname He (7 strokes) which went nicely with Xuan (5 strokes, xuanmiao de xuan), both simple characters. The xuan sounds like another xuan which with “he” means harmonious. Which as I fancied myself as a bit of a guitar player in my drunken Bushiban haze suited me fine.

Obviously two character names are regarded by some as as daft as a brush, but they’re quite common really. As in English I only have 2 names I thought I’d have 2 in Chinese.

My advice would be to chose a nice simple name that a Chinese person might have (I actually met someone in Malaysia who had the ridiculous name the MTC gave me!) and stick to it.

If a really attractive Korean girl who you fancy tells you your name sounds good in Korean it is of course a far better basis for choosing your Chinese name.

TB

For those who are intent on reaching a level of “super-fluency” in Chinese, I recommend going to the library with some local Taiwan friends, getting out the largest set of dictionaries available, and picking out three obscure characters which no one can pronounce. (You should be careful to secretly note down the pronunciation yourself in your pocket notebook, so that you do not forget it.)

In the following weeks and months, you will no doubt have many chances to talk to Taiwan people (on the bus, on the telephone, in business offices, etc.). When the topic of your name is reached, and you see (or hear) the other party’s reaction, you will immediately gain valuable insight into the Chinese mentality, something not available to the “average foreigner”.

Your discussions into the historical importance and classical significance of the Chinese language will be able to proceed on an entirely different level from those of us with “easily pronounced” Chinese names.

I have often considered the notion that perhaps the government needs to define an APPROVED GROUP of Chinese characters, and forbid all other ones from use. (I note that the English alphabet has 26 letters, no more, no less.) While the local citizens scoff at such a proposal when they speak to me, with your status (as a person with a three-character name which they cannot pronounce) they might be willing to reconsider the entire idea in a more serious fashion.

I seem to recall that, when I was registering my name for the family book, that it had to comply with some rules about chinese names. There was no problem so I never found out what the rules were.

My Chinese name is 泰 勒 (tai4 le4) also given to me by my 1st year (and only year) Chinese professor in the US. It’s a rhyme of my given name and means tranquility and peace. I like it even though when I told my students they said that it was a strange name.

I use my Chinese name on every Taiwan document since it is kind of an alias of sorts also cause non-Chinese names many times just don’t fit in their databases. To date only FarEastTone uses
my English name everything else from bills / licences /taxes are in Chinese.

I don’t know about the rest of you but I was actually pissed that the new ARC card format had no space to put our Chinese names - the booklet format of 5/6 years ago had a special line for Chinese name. Now you have to ask them to add a mention on the back of the ARC. At the time,
I thought they were taking away my right to a
Chinese name.

Most fun use of my Chinese name:
I received a foreign telegraphic transfer to my bank account in my Chinese name (romanized of course).

Hi,

I’d like to revive this subject briefly. Two questions:

1. I am being told that for employment contract purposes (not a buxiban), that I MUST have a Chinese name and a chop. Apparently the bureaucratic personnel office cannot or will not prepare a contract with any English words in it, including my name. I have been thinking about getting a Chinese name, just for the heck of it, but somehow being told that I must have it is rubbing me the wrong way. Does anyone know if this is some crap made up by the employer to simplify his/her life, or could the obligation to get a Chinese name be legitimate? Is this stipulation from an employer common?

2. From reading this thread and scratching my head, I’ve developed a short list of considerations in picking a Chinese name. Please take a minute to look over the list and make any comments that you think would be helpful, especially if I omitted an important consideration:

In order to conform to generally good and sensible ideas, a Chinese name selected by a foreigner should:

• Be simple to pronounce (avoid tone # 3, and maybe # 2)
  • Be simple to write (minimum # of strokes)
  • Have no bad meaning (like "dickhead)
  • Have 3 characters instead of 2
  • Not necessarily stick to the Chinese equivalent of Smith or Jones
  • Work OK in Taiwanese
  • Work OK in simplified Chinese (comprehensible & legible)
  • Work OK in Hanyu Pinyin?
  • Have some “ba zi” (what ever the heck that is :wink:

Comments?

Seeker4

I really don’t know what the fuss is with 2, 3 or even 4 character names. I’ve been told that originally, all Chinese people started out with 2 characters only. Then with the sinozation of foriegners, it became 3. I think the last Emperor had 6 and the Japanese usually have 4 or 5.
Both sides of my family has 2 characters, therefore I was also given 2 character name. Plus my parents believed that the Chinese name and English name should be phonetically similar. Luckily I don’t have prissy names and my Chinese name is often mistaken as a guy’s name in Japan because it’s not “flower” or “cute”. I also have a Chinese nickname that only those that know me the closest would call me. I love and prefer 2 characters because it forces me to remember the last names by ALWAYS having to say both. The ones that are intimate with me call me by my nickname.

I guess it sounds ‘strange’ because it is just a transliterated name of Taylor. Right? or am I wrong? In any case, it doesn’t sound like a typical Chinese name.

It would be similar to Chinese people in US or whatever, using thier Chinese names as their English names. You know, names like, Soo Sin, Jian Wei, Chien Che, etc etc.

Some advice for those who marry a Taiwanese: take the surname of your spouse as your own Chinese surname. If you have a child in Taiwan the law dictates the child take the father’s surname. I personally would like my child to have the same surname as the Chinese side of his or her family, rather than an arbitrary one chosen by myself. I know it’s not normal for a husband and wife to have the same surname, but I am not too concerned about this.

Isaac, I don’t think your Chinese name sounds strange at all. Names should be unique and dignified because it something you are identified with for the rest of your life. Perhaps your students are surprised that foreigners (gasp) should even have Chinese names. At least you’re not like most of the Taiwanese here who wake up and change their English names every other week…hmmm, I think I’ll call myself Rick today. I really have problems with those people.

Redmenace, I absolutely agree with you.

I don’t know what the situation is now about coming up with names in general but in my days, it was tradition to have the paternal grandparents sit down with the parents and have them come up with names. The number of strokes, the sounds, etc are taken into consideration. Nicknames are also very important to the Chinese and is not something that is used in strange circles because it indicates true closeness and acceptance. I do recommend that parents should come up with one because there’s nothing worst than your friends calling you “big chicken monster” (one of my friend’s nickname) for the rest of your life. Luckily, his nickname is only used amongst us airforce brats. :wink:

[quote=“Bu Lai En”]
Also there are a few legal procedures and stuff that you need to have a Chinese name and chop for. To make your Chinese name official, when you get your ARC removed they wiill add it to the back with an official police stamp that makes it official.

Bri[/quote]

Explain please.

I have my Chinese name printed on my ARC, on the front. There isn’t anything on the back. I don’t have a chop though, never needed one, ok… I have needed one, but with a little sweet talking, signing my name has always been good enough.

[quote]* Be simple to pronounce (avoid tone # 3, and maybe # 2)

• Be simple to write (minimum # of strokes)
  • Have no bad meaning (like "dickhead)
  • Have 3 characters instead of 2
  • Not necessarily stick to the Chinese equivalent of Smith or Jones
  • Work OK in Taiwanese
  • Work OK in simplified Chinese (comprehensible & legible)
  • Work OK in Hanyu Pinyin?
  • Have some “ba zi” (what ever the heck that is :wink: [/quote]

Simple to write is a good one, but if you practice enough you should be able to write anything.

Three characters is probably best but 2 should be fine. 4 would be a little weird.

I don’t think your three ‘work OK’ one are important.

Re: bazi - 3 character names should have a mix of odd and even number stroke counts, and the total stroke count should not add up to an unlucky number. There are a lot more consideration, but these are the basics. I wouldn’t worry about it too much.

More important considerations:

Choose a real surname, not a non-name character.

Don’t choose a surname like ‘xu’ which has two surnames with pronounciations varying only by tone, unless you’re confident of your ability to tell listeners the difference (eg ‘yan yu xu’)

Make sure you can have some way of describing the characters over the phone.

Get a Taiwanese person to pick your name for you and then check it with other Taiwanese so you don’t get something dicky, old-fashioned or ‘song’.

Brian