How is the accommodation at Tzu Chi Hualien?

Hi there,

In a few days I am arriving in Hualien to study Mandarin at Tzu Chi university. (Currently backpacking in Europe)
I applied to stay at the dormitory there because so cheap - anyone heard about it or have experience?

I read there are many rules like no meat and curfew at night - pretty strict. I looked at some rental sites but all the Chinese is too intimidating for now!

Jim Jones and the kool aid kids man…

I attended Tzu Chi last year and few of my classmates stayed in the dorms; these were all in their early 20s and from other Asian countries.

There are four people to each room, no air conditioning, and officially cooking and meat are not allowed, but the students I knew snuck in meat and cooked instant noodles and dishes from their home countries. The cafeteria is strictly vegetarian. Teachers, staff, and students in the Chinese Language Dept. will often bring snacks to share, but remember to only bring non-meat items. The students I spoke with did not like the curfew, but they were used to similar situations in their home countries.

The rest of us, who were older and/or came from other countries, preferred the freedom of living off campus. Some lived close enough to school to walk, others had bicycles, and some of us had scooters. I believe the dorms are 3,000nt per month, while off campus places run about twice that amount for the cheapest places (and you’ll usually need to pay a two-month deposit, plus pay for utilities, etc.). Check out http://www.591.com.tw/ for rentals, which can easily be translated into English with Google translate.

I’m not in Hualien anymore, but I still keep in touch with some friends there. Contact me if you’d like them to give you some pointers about finding a place there.

1 Like

Hey Steve! I’m an expat from the US/Hong Kong I’m thinking about attending Tzu Chi this winter because I want to be on the east coast (I like to surf and like being in nature) but I’m nervous that the social life won’t be that great. What do you think?

Hi Jordan, sorry for my late reply. If you like nature and surfing then the east coast is perfect. And while Hualian doesn’t have the variety of bars and clubs that Taipei has, you can still find activities. Check with your classmates, both the locals (good Chinese practice!) and foreign students who’ve already completed a semester or more, and I’m sure they can give you suggestions.

One of my own classmates has stayed in Hualian and is a musician who plays at various venues in the area. There are more and more cafés, restaurants, and art centers being opened all the time. You should have no problems; it depends on your willingness to get out there, talk to people, and explore. Have fun!