How much do the banks charge for a savings account?

It just occured to me that I have never bothered to know what my bank (Taipei Fubon) charges me for their savings account (where I get salary) and VISA card service. I know what they charge for outward remittance (it’s there in passbook), but I’m clueless about other things they might be charging me for.

I didn’t find this info on my passbook. I’ll go to the bank and ask them.

What’s your experience with your bank? How much do they charge per year for a savings account?

btw you may or may not already know this… in Taiwan theres no such thing as a Checking Account (for Personal use Checking exists for businesses only). So the whole Savings Account vs Checking account thing doesnt exist. I dont think they charge anything. I haven’t seen any charges on my Taishin account before… I guess since it holds your money the Banks can use that money for other purposes like banks do.

I’ve never seen any regular fees on my many bank accounts here, except for things like transfer fees, taxes on interest, and ATM fees. My monthly salary statement matches what’s deposited in my bank account. On my credit card, yes, I do pay an annual fee.

However, given how I’ve needed to get a new bank account pretty much every time I’ve got a new employer (hence those many bank accounts!), I assume there are some kinds of kickbacks and fees and arrangements made between employers and the banks. I’d be curious to know just how those arrangements work.

(Stupid ATMs still asking me if it’s a chequing account or a saving account. And sometimes I apparently get it wrong. All I know is I haven’t used a cheque this millennium, yet I still apparently need to select chequing once in a while.)

Transfers within the same bank (hence why employer’s want you to use the same bank) are free of charge… However if you don’t use the same bank as your employer does, the transfer fee is yours and not theirs… So there isn’t actually a good reason for us to have to open up a new account other then to safe some 15 nt$ each time your salary is paid.

Banks don’t usually charge for cards here but they might if an account goes inactive after a while, check with your local bank…