How to deal with plagiarism

[quote=“gcat”]The teacher of the class at NTU that I take in intellectual property is the DEAN of the law school. He sees at least five of his graduate students blatently plagiarising every single week and does nothing. Surely in a class on intellectual property rights academic plagiarism would mean an automatic fail - ‘sorry but you didn’t get it’.

Off to see my plagiarising student now. We’ll see how it goes.[/quote]

Report it to the university. I’m a student there and don’t want to see things like that give my school a bad reputation. If you need help reporting it, let me know.

I can’t report it to the university; I’d probably get a fail for all my classes. Not only that, but I’m reliant on Taida for my ARC. NTU will never never believe me over the extremely well-connected Dean of the Law School (who is one of Taiwan’s leading experts on the WTO, which, as we all know, is important to Taiwan). I also need credit for my classes this semester to graduate from my law degree. I’m sorry, but I’ve done a lot of work this semester getting through my law classes (without plagiarising), and I can’t then turn around and put that on the line. Wimpy and self-interested perhaps, but it just wouldn’t be worth it.

On another note, my student who plagiarised apologised for ‘misunderstanding’ the scope of the assignment and emailed me a piece of her own work (on intellectual property!) a few hours later.