How to get a money order or cashier's check

I’m in Taiwan now and have to take care of some business in the states (by mail) which I need either a money order or a cashier’s check (in USD) for. Does anyone know how or where I could get one in Taiwan?

thanks.

p.s. I did a forum search but couldn’t find anything, maybe I’m just awful at forums.

[quote=“jackalope”]I’m in Taiwan now and have to take care of some business in the states (by mail) which I need either a money order or a cashier’s check (in USD) for. Does anyone know how or where I could get one in Taiwan?

thanks.

p.s. I did a forum search but couldn’t find anything, maybe I’m just awful at forums.[/quote]

I’m fairly sure you can go to any full-service branch of any major bank in Taiwan (e.g. Bank of Taiwan, Mega Bank, Bank SinoPac, Chinatrust, etc.) and just buy one over the counter with cash or with funds out of your account at that bank. Just go to the bank’s information desk and ask where to get in line. For security, make sure you instruct them to make it non-endorsable and payable only by deposit by the named payee.

Yeah, the search function can be tricky; you have to learn what to toggle to get results. Try this: if you set the search terms as ‘money order cashier’s check’, set to search for ‘any’ not ‘all’ terms, choose the business and money area for the search, search within topic titles, and return results as topics, you’ll get about 76 hits, within which are:

international money order or bank draft
Money order in USD
certified check or money order?
Money order?
International Money Orders

Can anyone confirm that this information is accurate? I can just go to any bank and get this done?
I need a money order for a (US) government agency. Thanks.

Judging from my experience just now- going to the nearest bank to my office which happens to be Hua Nan- yes, any full-service branch of any major bank can generate money orders.

I went to the second floor where I saw the 外匯 sign, and didn’t bother to ask at an information desk or anything. All done in ten minutes. Fee of NT$400.

Thanks. So it’s definitely a money order in USD negotiable in the USA?

I wonder if they can generate money orders in any currency for example Japan yen or Philippine peso or others.

Different currencies would seem possible. I’ll let someone else figure that out! I needed a document from the Department of State in the US. Has to be done by paper, otherwise I would have just used my credit card in an online form.