How to get an International Driving Permit/License here?

Just to summarize for those interested in driving in Japan. The U.S. AAA-issued IDP is valid in Japan along with your U.S. driver’s license. The Taiwan issued IDP is not valid in Japan but a Taiwan driver’s license is but must be accompanied by the A4 sized Japanese translation of your TDL.

Just an update, all you have to do if you have a Taiwanese license is to go to the Motor vehicle office with your ID, passport, a small picture like the one you used fo you DL, your DL and 200nt. They do it in a couple minutes as they literally just glue your picture on there… and it last for 3 years. It’s literally just a booklet they stamp with a date and name. And glue your picture.

1 Like

Sounds like something anyone can do at home :noway:

7 posts were split to a new topic: US States With Taiwan License Reciprocity

A list of countries that allow or not allow driving with an IDP based on a local Taiwanese driver’s license.

1 Like

If you have a copy machine and the right kinds of paper to make the booklet that is about 8 pages with thick grey paper cover, white inside, and don’t forget the official red “chop”.

It’s so cheap and easy to go to the office to get one. It’s just a quick admin process.

Contrary to what I’ve read elsewhere online, you can get an International Drivers Permit for a Taiwanese scooter license (Class A). I just did this today in Taoyuan because I plan to rent a scooter in Bali next month.

I was required to bring the following:

1. My Taiwanese driver’s license
  2. My passport
  3. My ARC
  4. Two photos (the larger passport-sized photos, not the smaller size in TW driver’s licenses)
  5. $250ntd

Of course YMMV depending on which office/worker you get, but I would bring all of the above just in case.

2 Likes

It appears they’ve given you a full motorcycle IDP, i.e. the only restriction is 400KG! Interesting how freely they hand these out (assuming you only have a white plate scooter license here) as I had a fairly drawn out argument before they would accept my IDP with legitimate full A driver license from my home country!

Also interesting that they gave you a 3 year validity period as they insist on maximum 1 year for those using an IDP in Taiwan…

2 Likes

They don’t make distinction, it was already like that like 5 or 6 years ago.

They try to refuse motorcycle IDP’s from other countries, even when the holder actually has a full A motorcycle license. If you don’t have an “A” on your home country license you’re not actually supposed to have an “A” on the IDP.

The IDP is simply a money racket anyway, there is no purpose other than translation for it.

I’m glad I was able to get it. I’ve read that a number of tourists in Bali manage to rent scooters without a valid license but police, knowing this, target tourists to assess “fines” (bribes). What I was really worried about is that no license automatically means you’re at fault in a traffic accident.

I’ve seen the same situation so many times with foreigners here, driving without a license. I myself don’t want to play the odds, especially since I’ve already been in two injury accidents, neither my fault.

Go to what the equivalent of the DMV or RTA is here, just ask, takes like 10 minutes. Got mine like 2 years ago and still has something like 8 years left on it.

Wow, ten years on an Int’l Permit? I was surprised mine is good for three years because US IDP are only valid for one.

IDP are valid for a maximum of 3 years or the expiry of the drivers licence, whichever comes first. Most countries only issue for 1 year.

If you have a 10 year IDP from the DMV then they’ve made a mistake, it’s unlikely to be valid after 3 years in any country.

Dunno, full scooter+car licenses, just checked expires 2026. Would have to ask my wife, she sorted it all out, I just sat in the chair and waited :smiley:

Guys, how much was the cost for a car IDP?

According to the MOT website it’s NTD250

Muchas gracias. Thank you very much.

I was not reading correctly, I thought it was several thousand.

Is an ARC required to get a driver’s license? Can I get a driver’s license with a tourist visa?

The last I heard, no.
The ARC is needed for a local license.

They will accept an international drivers license if you got one from home since you’re considered a tourist

1 Like