How to get an International Driving Permit/License here?

Just to note on the International driving permit, you will need to go and register it within the first month of arriving. Then it will be valid for one year, but you can always Renew it as long as it’s valid and you leave the country.

3 Likes

Correct but they may give him/her some issue if no arc. As I remember the DMV wanted to see a copy of peoples arc to stamp the international license. Not sure if it’s the same issue today

It was a while ago but I can’t remember them asking for mine as I did it the same day I applied for my ARC. I did it all in my first couple of days of arriving, wife can’t remember what documents I showed also, as we where registering lots of things that week. I do remember the woman on the counter being very helpful, she was the one who told me to do the car licence first, then the motorcycle one, so I only needed to do one computer test.

1 Like

I love Taiwan. The efficiency of government services and workers is unheard of. I was in and out in less than 5min getting my permit for 250nt.

In Italy it would have looked like this.

Buy a form at the post office for 20 euros. Buy a tax stamp at a tax stamp selling place to put on it to make it official for 15 euros.

Go to one government building and wait hours. Then after you’re told to go to another office In the other side of town for another thing. You also pay some fee.

Go back to the post office to ship the documents to another office. (I actually did this once when the post office is literally next door to the building they had to send to) costing 20 euros because you need secure tracking.

Wait months. I waited for me residency card that took more than 12 months to come they didn’t even bother to send it since it’s pointless by that time.

5 Likes

So is it possible to get this for an American license while living in Taiwan?

Absolutely. I do it every year.

1 Like

But it says it takes 2 months…

Yeah, for me it’s always taken close to 2 months so I have to account for that.

Damn I’m planning a trip to Greece but it looks you need this to rent a car. Looks like I’ll have to rely solely on public transportation

Taking a plane to Greece would be substantially faster than both driving or public transportation.

4 Likes

The question bank for license exam is around 1000 questions. Including the law and fines.
If its just road sign then it is definitely passable with common sense. but with law included? fines?
Good luck passing the exam. you only have 10 or 12 mistakes allowed to get the passing score.

It needs a week of scanning the reviewer to get confident enough. At least that’s what I did to pass the exam 1st time.