How to get Taiwan Citizenship - Primer, FAQ, and Resources

Well done, I’m made up for you :slight_smile: I absolutely love your last paragraph and shall be thieving it in future should anyone ask me the same question.

The more I hear about Taiwanese naturalisation, the more attractive it seems. Before I knew anything about the actual processes involved, I’d only heard a few expat Americans complaining about how difficult x or y was in Taiwan and was quite scared about even managing residency. It actually seems much easier, cheaper and more efficient than the same process in England and certainly better than the farcical US immigration system. I’m sure I can manage five years residency without getting into trouble and stories like yours give me encouragement to do so.

[quote=“coolingtower”]If I’ve confused some of you, sorry about that!

I love Taiwan, but I only “like” the US and you know how everyone says “love it, or leave it”? Well, I didin’t love it, so I left it.[/quote]

Is the consensus on age for being too old for the military 35 now as Feiren said? I assume there is an official age, and some sort of unofficial age? They’re not going to call up a bunch of elderly foreigners are they?

It’s 35 and your safe. And you won’t be a foreinger if you hold ROC nationality.

Last year there was a passage of law dealing with the military age requirement but I thought it said it wasn’t going into effect in a couple of years. Clarification?

TIA,

I’ll keep you guys up to date as my military situation unfolds in the next few months. I just turned 35 last week. My leg is made of steel, so we’ll see what happens…

Anyone have any info on the new Chinese-language tests? I’ve seen in the papers about SE Asian spouses complaining, and I recall one saying it was so messed up that most locals couldn’t pass- who wrote the National Anthem; what are the garbage recycling regs etc.
Anybody know?

If nobody knows, I’ll ask next week when I go to the Household Registry office to FINALLY pick up my ID card!!! :smiley:

Im curious… why become Taiwan citizen and give up US citizenship? I know millions here would kill for a chance to become US citizen. Besides dont you have to serve in the military?

I’ve made several calls to the Ministry of the Interior and even the Ministry of Education about this. Nobody seems to know a damn thing for sure. Typical!

I’m curious… why become Taiwan citizen and give up US citizenship? I know millions here would kill for a chance to become US citizen. Besides dont you have to serve in the military?[/quote]

Nope, Cooling Tower fiollowed my advice to get his ID Card after you turn 35, then you don’t get drafted. I didn’t have to serve either.

Millions here wouldn’t kill for the chance to become a US :astonished: :astonished:

What exactly is this interim ID card? It allows you to work, right? There are no restrictions on your length of stay? So in theory you could simply drag things out on the interim ID card until you turn 35 and then get a real ID card? Is there a time limit between getting your “nationality” and interim ID card and having to finally get the real thing? an’t you get drafted all the same as soon as you have completed HH registration? Isn’t the draft compiled from the HHR?

I think its still 45, but they are thinking about changing it to 35.

[quote=“rahimiiii”][quote=“Satellite TV”]

Nope, Cooling Tower fiollowed my advice to get his ID Card after you turn 35, then you don’t get drafted. I didn’t have to serve either.
[/quote]
I think its still 45, but they are thinking about changing it to 35.[/quote]

No, because I got my ROC nationality several years ago and I’m only going to be 45 this month. :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

The draft office will also tell you, if you change your nationality to an ROC national and you get your ID & Hukou after you turn 35 then you won’t have to serve.

The interim is a Taiwan Area Permanent Resident Visa which allows full working rights. It’s permanent and does not limit length of stay, but it’s valid for 3 years which can be renewed if you havent got your ID thru. However once you have it if you don’t leave Taiwan for 12 months from the date of issue then you can complete the final medical, pass that, and then get your ID card.

If you travel then it’s 24 months before you can get your ID card. Terms and conditions apply lol. Once you have your ID card in hand you can get drafted if you’re under 35 when they draft you.

That’s why I advised Coolingtower to complete the medical and get his ID card after he turned 35.

[quote]
That’s why I advised Coolingtower to complete the medical and get his ID card after he turned 35.[/quote]
You did? I don’t remember that. :astonished:
I’ve been putting it off because I’m too lazy to do the medical. :blush: Either way, I probably wouldn’t have gotten it before my 35th birthday anyway (Aug 4th).

The Bing Eee Ke (military office) told me the cut-off was 40, however that was a couple years ago, I think. So far, I’ve heard 30, 35, 40, and 45. Anyone see that 45 and raise it to 50? I know a guy whose brother didn’t have to do military service because he had a steel pin inside a lower leg bone (fibia? fibula?). I have the same steel leg, so I’m not worried about it at all. (Hey, my leg is “Made in Taiwan”).

I scanned my ID card and I would like to post it here for all to see. The problem is that I have never been able to insert images or make an avatar work yet. Help, Satellite TV!

rahimiiii, check out page 1 of this thread. I think I remember covering the main points in here somewhere. If you have any more specific questions, feel free to ask.

[quote=“coolingtower”][quote] That’s why I advised Coolingtower to complete the medical and get his ID card after he turned 35.[/quote] You did? I don’t remember that. :astonished:

I scanned my ID card and I would like to post it here for all to see. The problem is that I have never been able to insert images or make an avatar work yet. Help, Satellite TV![/quote]

Heheh you had too many beers and whiskey when we you came for a BBQ at my place and lost track of everything, yeah I did say wait until you’re 35 to get your ID card as it was just after the 12 month period to get your id card.

Go to imageshack, register an account and you can upload images from there. Or scan it and perhaps take off your ID card number if you don’t want to show that and I’ll post it.

PS… did they let you choose a good number like I did?

Thanks, Sattelite TV!

Those circles below my picture look like lottery numbers or maybe part of something on the screen during a 9-ball tournament.

This afternoon, I finally got up the nerve to do my stupid health exam. It was very interesting. They kept saying “ju liu” (residence) and I kept correcting them that this was for “ding ju” (settling down). Then later they said it again–telling someone else that my exam was for “ju liu gen gong zuo” (residence and work). I told them I do NOT need a work permit. I really hope they got this right.

This test was different than any I’ve had before. I had to give them some shit, but not urine. I guess the urine test is for illegal drugs. That’s useful for workers, but since I have canceled my original citizenship, there’s really nothing they can use to deny my next step. The eye test was the same. Blood pressure and taking a blood sample were the same. Seeing the doctor to look in my ears, eyes, and mouth were the same. I really hate the blood pressure test. Feeling my own blood pumping in my arm always makes me nervous–I don’t know why. My blood pressure was 171/113. Last time it was 193/115. The doctor and I had this conversation:
doc: “This means you have high blood pressure.”
me: “Yeah, I always get nervous when I take these things.”
doc: “Yes, but that is too high.”
me: “My friend is a nursing student and used me for practice. When I’m not in the hospital it’s always normal. Will this affect my acquisition of citizenship?”
doc: “No, but the point is: your health. Take it every week or two and watch it. If it’s still high, there is medicine that can help you. It’s easy to have a stroke if your blood pressure is too high.”

That’s the first time the “health certificate doctor” ever said anything about my high blood pressure. I guess if he cares beyond simply giving me my certificate, this should be considered a good thing.

I paid ($1500), and my last step was X-ray and then out the door. Just before I went for that, a nurse said “shouldn’t he see the skin doctor, too?” The plain-clothes nurse at the computer said “I’ve never heard of having to do a skin test too.” Then, a hot nurse took me to do my x-ray and then walked me upstairs to the skin doctor’s place. There were a lot of people waiting for their number to be called. Since I was a special case, it would look bad if I was able to go inside before the others. They took me into an adjacent room and I sat down and talked to the nurse for a minute or two. The doctor came in and I had to pull up my shorts to nearly the Daisy Duke level. He said OK. Then I had to lift up the front of my shirt, revealing my chest and belly. Then, I turned around and pulled the back of my shirt up to my neck. The doctor said OK and put his stamp on my certificate. Easier than I thought.

The nurse walked me over to some stairs where I could go down and then I thanked her and I was FREE!!! Next Wednesday, I can pick up my health certificate and then take it to GaoXiong to do my “settling down certificate”. When I get that I can give it to the Household Registry office and then get my ID card. I’m SO close!!