How to get Taiwan Citizenship - Primer, FAQ, and Resources

Bis I don’t think it should be a problem, guess after living here for so long and facing all sorts of problems I have become a pussy ( as far as dealing with these kinds of issues ) and just like to play it as safe as possible. On paper it does not look like you will have any problems and specially since you are not going to leave Taiwan for one year!! I do not know that, suppose if you decide to delay getting your ID card and plan to travel using the TW passport, then some countries do not give you the visa if you don’t have a Taiwan ID card, like for instance you cannot get your Tai Bao Zhen w/o the Taiwan ID card. Just Taiwan passport will not do.

I did observe that it takes a wee bit longer to get things done down South. I was comparing your case with mine and for stuff like the getting the letter to apply for the TARC and then the actual TARC, it has taken you a bit longer. For example it took me about 10 days to get the letter whereas it took you @ 3 weeks. Anyway better later than never!!

Just kidding but next year you can gobble up all the kindy jobs in Tainan!!!

I guess in A-ha’s case, it is taking time for the MOI to get the confirmation that he has really and truely given up his SA citizenship. I guess the guys in the SA liasion office are just sitting on their butts!! If my memory serves me right, PK also had to wait for a long time to get the letter, but that was because his country of origin/birth did not have any Trade or Liasion office in Taiwan. Guess A-ha will just have to wait!!

Yep, aware of that. For example, I know you don’t qualify for visa free entry into Canada on a Taiwanese passport unless you have an ID Card. I don’t plan on going anywhere until I have my ID Card, but I’d like to have the passport nonetheless. Just impatience, I guess.

It does seem that way, doesn’t it. Perhaps partly because we have to send everything up to Taipei to the HQs. Anyways, just happy it’s all done now and I can just settle down and wait out the year.

Mate, that would be an absolute nightmare. Elementary school, junior or senior high, yes, but kindy? Aaaarrrggghhh!

That’s my suspicion, also. I think it’s more probable that the delay is with the Liaison Office or with SA somewhere, rather than Taiwan. They have a penchant for losing, misplacing, forgetting and sending things to the wrong people.

I can’t stop looking at my TARC. I think I must have shown it to about 50 people already. :smiley:

Congratulations on your success Bismarck! All that you have to do now is just wait for 365 more days. About 3 weeks ago I went back to my country of origin (frist overseas trip after gaining the ROC citizenship) to reclaim my previous citizenship. I travelled with my two sons and a funny thing happend here at the Taoyuan airport upon returning to Taiwan.We lined up in “ROC citizens” queue for immigration clearance. A kind lady in the adjacent queue very politely told me that I was not supposed to be in “ROC citizens” queue instead I shoud move to a queue designated for foreigners, and then I showed her my ROC passport and she was quite surprised and quickly apologized to me. :smiley:

Make that 358 days to go. :wink:

So your resumption was also just an easy fill in a form thing, like with the Aussies? Lucky, that! Ex-Saffas have to go back “to stay”. Of course, once you get it back there’s nothing stopping you from leaving again. That said, considering it took me 36 weeks to get my renunciation certificate, who knows how long it will take to resume. As we retain permanent residence status, I don’t think I’m going to bother with that TBH.

But congrats on joining the ranks of the dual citizens! :wink:

Thanks mate! Getting back citizenship in my country is pretty much straight forward and easy. like you said, just fill up the application and hand it over along with other relevant documents, and then wait for 1-2 weeks for approval. That’s it. Do I have to live there ? no, not even for a single day.

Al last I also went to pick up my TARC today after waiting almost 2 months for my final application for nationality to be approved. Yes, as we all guessed, there was a hold up somewhere on the South African side. :unamused: Oh well, after taking almost 3 years with the process up to this point, I suppose and extra month here and and extra year there doesn’t really matter.

Can I just say that getting yet another blue card that looks exactly like a garden variety ARC/APRC/JFRV is a bit of a disappointment. Other than that…H U R R A Y ! ! ! :yay: :yay: :yay: :yay:

Congrats A-ha! I guess you must be more than happy to start your 1 year sentence!!

ahh a blue card it maybe, but it packs a bigger punch than the ARC / APRC / JFRV ( all combined !!! )

Congrats, mate. Yeah, I was also hoping it would be unique somehow, other than the info on it. A nice green one, or something to that effect, or as it doesn’t have Citizenship noted on it, they could have placed Nationality: Taiwanese on the thing.

[quote=“speed_maniac”]Congrats A-ha! I guess you must be more than happy to start your 1 year sentence!!

ahh a blue card it maybe, but it packs a bigger punch than the ARC / APRC / JFRV ( all combined !!! )[/quote]
True enough, once you’ve convinced someone what it is. No one seems to know what it is and just keeps on calling it a 居留證, as if it’s the same as an APRC, JFRV or ARC. :frowning:

Thanks lads! :slight_smile: I’m just super happy I don’t need to fly anywhere with it. It was a pain in the ass at the airports with the APRC, because nobody knew what the hell it was! :loco:

Any way, no worries - I’m super chuffed to have it in my hand at last! :discodance:

there should be a separate thread on this " Pitfalls associated with the APRC when travelling "!! I don’t know what you guys had, but I got mine in 2005 and it was bloody PINK in color!! The photo was just stuck on it and every freaking time I had to go thru hell at HK airport. First try to convince the guy / gal at the check in counter, then the immigration guys!!! THANK GOD those days are over!!!

Of course now it is a new ball game, I get questioned by immigration in China " How come you are a Taiwanese?. You don’t look like a Taiwanese". They even doubt the one year China visa sticker, in the Taibaozheng, that was issued by the immigration office in China.

Wow!! This is very good news. I am very happy to hear that A-ha has just started his 1 year waiting period.恭喜你! :discodance:

Similar thing happened to me a week ago at Singapore “Changi” airport, I got irritated and angry when the immigration officer (an Indian woman I guess) asked me to produce my Taiwan ID card which wasn’t in my wallet at the time.Totally bizarre.

Thank you Pioneer! It’s not an proper ID yet, but I’ve been eyeing and re-reading it all day! :slight_smile:

Thank you Pioneer! It’s not an proper ID yet, but I’ve been eyeing and re-reading it all day! :slight_smile:[/quote]
Such as it is, it gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling, doesn’t it? Come on, be honest! You’ve shown it to everyone already, right? :wink: I was showing mine to anyone who would look! Even the girl at my local 7-11!! :roflmao:

Thank you Pioneer! It’s not an proper ID yet, but I’ve been eyeing and re-reading it all day! :slight_smile:[/quote]
Such as it is, it gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling, doesn’t it? Come on, be honest! You’ve shown it to everyone already, right? :wink: I was showing mine to anyone who would look! Even the girl at my local 7-11!! :roflmao:[/quote]
Hahaha! Really? No, I haven’t done that yet, but I did show that Citizen Certificate to almost everyone! :wink:

Such as it is, it gives you a warm and fuzzy feeling, doesn’t it? Come on, be honest! You’ve shown it to everyone already, right? :wink: I was showing mine to anyone who would look! Even the girl at my local 7-11!! :roflmao:[/quote]
Hahaha! Really? No, I haven’t done that yet, but I did show that Citizen Certificate to almost everyone! :wink:[/quote]
Yeah, I was showing it to almost everyone. The novelty has worn off a little now, though. Wait until I get that ID Card!! Then I’ll get all SatTV on them. :roflmao:

I think Fedex has lost one of my documents after it was almost done going through all the *!@#$ing legal hoops :frowning:

Ouch!! that really sucks! hope they do manage to find it…

It turned up, almost there now :slight_smile:

Good news! :thumbsup: