How to get Taiwan Citizenship - Primer, FAQ, and Resources

Great info! What about proof of giving up your original citizenship? Also, may I ask what country you’re from? Be sure to keep us updated as the process continues!

I will go renounce my Original Citizenship after I receive the Candidature certificate. I’m from India…and yes, I will keep you guys updated :slight_smile:

Finally received my Candidature Certificate (Quasi-Naturalization Certificate) yesterday… It is in both Chinese & English so I don’t have to go through the hassles of getting it translated :slight_smile: . The HHR official also warned me not to leave the country from now on as doing so would require me to get a new Police Clearance Certificate…Next step…renounce my Original Citizenship.

Just submitted my application for renunciation …It will be ready in about 2 weeks.

Received my Renunciation Certificate yesterday ( I’m currently stateless :smiley: ) …took it to MOFA/BOCA to get it authenticated today (Costs NTD400)…will get back the authenticated doc in 2 days time (Friday)…will get it translated, notarized and then head back to my HHR to apply for Nationality.

Got the authenticated document from MOCA on Friday, translated it myself and took it to the notary public to get it notarized (Costs NTD750)…then headed to the HHR and submitted everything:

1. Original Renunciation Certificate with MOFA stamp
  2. Translated Renunciation Certificate with notarization
  3. APRC (They will make a photo copy and return it)
  4. Cancelled Passport (They will make a photo copy and return it)
  5. 1 Recent passport sized photograph
  6. NTD1000 postal order made out in the Ministry of the Interior’s name (內政部)

The HHR guy then told me it will take about a mth’s time and he will call me to collect my Nationality Certificate (歸化中華民國國籍證明書)

and…it gets interesting…Today he called me and asked if I had submitted the Police Clearance Certificate from my Original Country when I first applied 3 mths ago…I told him “No” as he didn’t ask me for it when I inquired and when I submitted the application 3 mths ago, he accepted it and even the Ministry of the Interior accepted it…and now I have already surrendered my citizenship and they want my PCC??? He told me there might be a problem and will call me back…Now I’m pissed and nervous as I’m stateless…

But thankfully, I remembered a clause in the Application form which says “If the applicant has been previously married and divorced with a Taiwanese Citizen and never left the country AFTER the divorce, then he/she need not submit the Police Clearance from Original Country”… Since I’m already divorced and never left the country, I called him back and pointed out this clause and he breathed a sigh of relief and said everything is OK now (He checked his system and found out my divorce records) and apologized to me for NOT asking me for the PCC in the first place as he “forgot”… I was like WTF!!! Anyway, he said everything is smooth sailing from now and I should get my Nationality in a mth’s time (Fingers crossed)

Here’s the Application Form (In Chinese):

Weird, as it was the first thing the person at my HHR place mentioned. “I know how difficult it is to get the certificate from abroad”, she said. For APRC, the NIA does not ask it anymore if you not have been abroad more than 3 months. I’ll ask again, too, thanks for the heads up.

[quote=“Icon”]Weird, as it was the first thing the person at my HHR place mentioned. “I know how difficult it is to get the certificate from abroad”, she said. [color=#FF0000]For APRC, the NIA does not ask it anymore if you not have been abroad more than 3 months[/color]. I’ll ask again, too, thanks for the heads up.[/quote] That’s interesting…I haven’t heard about this new APRC Rule till now. If they can relax the rule for APRC, I’m sure they can do the same for Citizenship.

Great minds think alike, my friend. :howyoudoin:

BTW, that APRC change has been around a couple of years. Same with medical tests.

Thanks for posting all the info. Will you be able to get your original citizenship back? Also, am I correct in assuming that if you have an APRC by marriage, you don’t have to provide a police certificate from your home country? Hope everything goes smoothly!

Thanks for posting all the info. Will you be able to get your original citizenship back? Also, am I correct in assuming that if you have an APRC by marriage, you don’t have to provide a police certificate from your home country? Hope everything goes smoothly![/quote]

No, I won’t be able to get my Original Citizenship back but I can apply to be an Overseas Citizen which will basically grant me all Citizenship rights except voting rights :slight_smile: …and yes, I believe you are right in assuming that someone who is married to a Taiwanese Citizen don’t need to provide a Police Certificate from his/her home country (provided that he/she did not leave Taiwan after getting married and prior to applying for Nationality). …and Thank you for your kind words mate … Cheers!! :bow:

Hey! Not fair! How about us singles!?

Maybe it’s time to tie the noose…er, knot, ha ha.

Maybe it’s time to tie the noose…er, knot, ha ha.[/quote]

Volunteers? Taiwanese volunteers?

“Foreign woman -with traces of Cantonese ascendency- of independent means, great cooking skills and sexy shape requires Taiwanese guy as life travel companion. Must like pets.”

Maybe it’s time to tie the noose…er, knot, ha ha.[/quote]

Volunteers? Taiwanese volunteers?

“Foreign woman -with traces of Cantonese ascendency- of independent means, great cooking skills and sexy shape requires Taiwanese guy as life travel companion. Must like pets.”[/quote]

LOL…I’m ready to volunteer after a year or so hee hee …I too have Cantonese ascendency, admire anyone with good cooking skills and I love pets :smiley:

Getting back on topic…actually the reason Married peeps don’t need to provide a PCC is because they have already done that when they applied for the JFRV thus negating the need to provide one 3+ years later when they are ready to take the plunge. Since APRC holders don’t need a PCC during application (per the new rule), it makes sense why they need to submit one during Nationality application.

Then the logic would follow is that those with APRC that already did it -like me, in the old times it was necessary to present it, now if you have not left for more than 3 months you do not need it- should be exempt too.

We need a Mafia of Atogas that Have ROC Nationality.

Yup…I completely understand your logic since I had to do my PCC too when I applied for my APRC back in 2009 and have never left the island for more than 3 mths (This was the argument I used when he first called me on Monday but it didn’t work)…BUT…since we’re dealing with Taiwanese logic here, our logic cease to exists lol…So unless the powers that be amends this ridiculous rule, I’m afraid those seeking Nationality as an unmarried individual MUST get a PCC.

Does anyone know the minimum period that you need after getting a PARC before you can apply for ROC ID?

I am thinking now’s a good time… but I only got my PARC in 2013. I couldn’t give up my citizenship then for family reasons…

Wondering
I like coffee