How to improve my Chinese reading/writing

In my experience, that’s actually one of the less useful texts put out by ICLP, because reading the stories (which aren’t really that interesting) isn’t a very effective way of learning the chengyu, and there’s no instruction on how to use them in real life.

Nice, sounds like I have a first book and a follow up book to look at so. Thanks!

Ah OK. Thanks for the heads-up :slight_smile: I was just thinking it might have some amusement value, or at least some cultural insights.

I bought this book to translate and read. No 注音 :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:, but it gives me motivation. Learning to read may take longer for me. BUT I will have a specialized/useless vocab

2 Likes

I guess that’s what they call diving in the deep end. On the other hand, studying what you find interesting is great for the motivation. And I think everyone’s Chinese improves after a few beers. Or at least it seems that way. :slightly_smiling_face:

1 Like

This is probably the easiest book for a foreign learner of Chinese to start out reading. Pinyin is on the back of each page, out of sight, and there’s a glossary arranged by Pinyin if you still don’t know what something means. It ain’t Shakespeare but you’ll be able to read this (or any of my readers).

https://www.createspace.com/4022737

More where that one came from when you finish.

1 Like