How to make acquaintance with a taiwanese guy?

Hi everybody! I am new here, but I am so glad though :slight_smile: There is a topic I would like to discuss here. I am a Russian girl studying chinese at the university, so everyday I go back from my university to take MRT, I am passing by an open tea shop near it. There is a very cute Taiwanese guy selling tea. First time I saw him, I liked him. The second and the third times I saw him, I liked him even more :unamused: I was lucky to have been waiting for my friend there and having the chance to look at him. I think he noticed I was staring at him, so he smiled at me, moreover, I guess all the tea sellers that were there noticed that as well lol. So since then he is always on my mind :lovestruck: , but the problem is that I do not know how to become friends with him, especially when my chinese is not so good, and his english is not either, I suppose. I guess I can time from time buy tea from him and in such a way start communicating with him and get closer to him, but it is just that when I see him, my tongue will be unable to speak I guess :aiyo: For me it is much easier to ask his phone number, or to give him a note with the introduction of myself and my contact information, or even to go out with me :astonished: But I have no idea how he would react, I do not know much about Taiwanese guys. I heard they are shy, modest, romantic that will not approach a girl even if he liked her. So I am not sure he will try to make acquaintance with me, so it is me who should do it, because I really want it. So how do you think: should I keep on passing by his shop and buy tea so as we can start communicating, or should I make a more courageous move like giving him a note or something like that. :astonished: I really need your advice! Thank you in advance! :wink:

Where’s SuchAFOB. She’d know how to charm a moma’s boy…

Ten Foot Pole------------------------ :no-no:

sounds like a fake post

1 Like

:astonished: What does exactly sound fake to you? Cannot believe you really think it is :frowning:

Your infatuation is based on a physical attraction. Talk to the person and you will find that you have nothing in common.

Who cares? Follow your heart.

Honey, try and buy tea. Stumble in Chinese. Then speak English. He doesn’t speak English? Tell him, in Chinese that you’re learning his language. Tell him it’s hard. Maybe he’ll offer to help. If not, then repeat daily. Expect to take it slowly. He will probably be unnerved if you push too hard.

When you discover that Dr McCoy was right, remember that I’m the nice guy who cares. Press the button marked PM.

I’m not Taiwanese, but I can make tea … or at least buy it … Wanna practice w/me? :laughing:

Ya ne govru po Russki, S dniom roĹždenija, Gde tualet? :howyoudoin:

Loretta, thanks for your advice! It is the first kind advice :discodance: I guess the only way to get closer to him is to buy tea and try to speak with him. And only then I will found out if we do or do not have anything in common. Just imagining opening my mouth with him makes me nervous. Well, tomorrow I will pull myself up and make the first step :wink: At least, I have decided this today, but who knows maybe I will lose nerve when I see him tomorrow :s
Anyways, better to do something than to do nothing! :bravo:

[quote=“sjhuz01”]

Ya ne govru po Russki, S dniom roĹždenija, Gde tualet? :howyoudoin:[/quote]

Haha, nice :bravo:
Anything else? :wink:

That’s it in a nutshell. You know next to nothing about this person and have no way to communicate with him. It’s pure physical attraction.

However, if you want to pursue this despite the handicap that you can’t talk to each other, the next time you buy tea at his place, tell him that you’d like to learn Chinese but don’t have someone to teach you. Flirt with him a bit and casually suggest a language exchange - “Ni jiao wo chongwen, I teach you English.” If things don’t work out romantically, at least you learned a bit more of the language.

Is that like 99% of men’s choices?

Is that like 99% of men’s choices?[/quote]

Men and women aren’t nearly as different as some people like to pretend we are. Masculine/feminine stereotypes are just that, for the most part.

Of course physical attraction is extremely important but there has to be more than just that. I’ve never dated a woman who was hot but a bitch, and couldn’t see myself continuing to date someone that I didn’t like, no matter physically attractive she was. There are lots of pretty girls and beautiful women out there that I wouldn’t go out with, either because I find her too boring or mean-spirited or obnoxious or flakey or u-m-b-d-a-y or just personality incompatible. I agree with Dr. McCoy - the quickest way to get over a crush is to actually talk to the person and find out that you don’t have anything in common. Best to admire from a distance.

Is that like 99% of men’s choices?[/quote]

Men and women aren’t nearly as different as some people like to pretend we are. Masculine/feminine stereotypes are just that, for the most part.

Of course physical attraction is extremely important but there has to be more than just that. I’ve never dated a woman who was hot but a bitch, and couldn’t see myself continuing to date someone that I didn’t like, no matter physically attractive she was. There are lots of pretty girls and beautiful women out there that I wouldn’t go out with, either because I find her too boring or mean-spirited or obnoxious or flakey or u-m-b-d-a-y or just personality incompatible. I agree with Dr. McCoy - the quickest way to get over a crush is to actually talk to the person and find out that you don’t have anything in common. Best to admire from a distance.[/quote]

The one percent always has to point out why they’re special… :bravo: :laughing:

The OP appears to be young and inexperienced in the ways of the world. I would imagine that for someone like her (or for me for that matter) it’s perfectly possible to conceive of a desire to be with someone, to fulfil that desire, spend some time with them, and then one day realise that you’re interested in them any more. Telling people not to do it is like telling Tommy to grow up. They’re not listening.

In the short term, the best advice is “don’t catch any nasty diseases, especially Egyptian Fever.”

In the longer term, you learn to recognise this behaviour in yourself and focus on valuing people for who they really are instead of deluding yourself because you fancy them. Then you stop chasing people from massively different cultures who don’t have near-native fluency in your language in at leas one of the languages you do.

[quote=“Loretta”]
In the longer term, you learn to recognise this behaviour in yourself and focus on valuing people for who they really are instead of deluding yourself because you fancy them.[/quote]

Sigh…

Guys hi! :slight_smile: It is unbelievable, but today I bought tea from another seller whom I also saw last times - also a Taiwanese guy. I was waiting my friend, and the funniest thing that it was him who tried to speak to me, he asked me whom I was waiting, where I am from, is my friend Taiwanese…So we kinda get into contact with him. Maybe it will help me to get closer to that guy :ponder:

Right. Roadmap please. I am lost… :eh:

[quote=“Buttercup”][quote=“Loretta”]
In the longer term, you learn to recognise this behaviour in yourself and focus on valuing people for who they really are instead of deluding yourself because you fancy them.[/quote]

Sigh…[/quote]
:soapbox: patience sweetie…

I have to admit it wasn’t me. It was this guy.

What happened to Zoideberg?