Hsinchu highest salary in Taiwan, Taichung lowest among cities

I don’t think users of PTT are reliable sources for anything.

Its basically a lighter version of 4chan

1 Like

Taipei city’s average salary is pathetically low for the capital city.

These numbers are just a competition as to who is worse paid rather than better paid.

Well these numbers aren’t even true.

They aren’t? They are taken from ministry of labours site,I’d say they are pretty accurate.

The main part that might be inaccurate is if they are using the Huji to calculate who earns what where (which might be the reason Miaoli salaries were relatively high as most young people work outside Miaoli).

No they aren’t because they are from the labour pension scheme reported by the employers. The numbers are skewed to so that they could file less taxes.

The actual figures (from the ministry of interiors) for Taipei city would be between 60-70k, with other cities ranging from 40 to 50k. Still really bad though. I’m on my phone now so I can’t post the link.

I’d like to see the link to compare.

I found this which gives national stats.

-difference between regular earnings and total earnings is large
-regular earnings is 39k/mth average nationwide

The worst part is the terrible record of wage inflation over the last 20 years. Taiwan must have the lowest wage inflation of ALL middle income nations!

From 2000-2007 when much of the world was booming Taiwan’s wage inflation was very poor (that’s with a shitty NTD exchange rate too). From 2005 until now real regular earnings have actually dropped!

Who could have predicted this as it was preceded by Taiwan having possibly the fastest earnings growth of all developing nations for three decades at least!
If you don’t believe me read a great book called Breakout nations…

It’s a real indictment of getting stuck on one way of doing things AND the horrible greed of older generation of business owners and politicians.

(On a happier note I have managed to beat Taiwan’s wage inflation by a rate of about 300x…so I guess I did something right eventually…but for how long can a good salary last on this little island).

Here. It’s pretty thorough and there’s translation. I think it reflects actual situation more accurately.

And Taiwan is a high-income country, just amongst the worst ones.

Growth of emerging countries becomes difficult when per capita gross domestic product rises above $10,000, as higher wages push up production costs, making it difficult to compete with newcomers whose wages are still low. Even then, these countries still have to try to develop their industry to maintain economic growth. Such stagnation in growth is called the middle-income trap. For example, Brazil and Malaysia, both of whose GDP per capita has leveled off at around $10,000, seem to have fallen into this trap. South Korea and Taiwan are rare examples of countries that have not fallen victim to it.

Whether or not they regard their income levels as on a par with advanced economies, these figures suggest that both have already risen above the middle-income nation label. But they now face a potential new risk that one might call the “high-income trap.”

And users of Forumosa like you are infinitely wiser because?

Here’s the Ministry of Labor statistical query form where you can compare annual wages per city and county. Try it for yourself.
https://statdb.mol.gov.tw/statis/jspProxy.aspx?sys=210&kind=21&type=1&funid=q06036&rdm=lheeJ7py

Well, as long as you think something is more accurate, it must be, right? Did the thought occur to you that there’s a difference between income and salary? A street sweeper might make NT$20,000 a month in salary, but a fat cat real estate investor is making millions a month income from his investments, but has a monthly salary of NT$0. The article is talking about monthly salary, your link is about monthly income, apples and oranges.

1 Like

I’m not buying Gain, show us the link to the “actual numbers” breaking down monthly salary per city and county and we can talk.

No need to be so defensive. And I stand by my words: PTT users talk rubbish. It’s just the reality. It’s even worse than Reddit.

I’m too lazy to debunk the figures but if you scroll down, you’d see a page of income figures coming from wages of a family, and if you divide them with the number of bread earners of each family, you’d see what I said was true.

Gain- make a claim, back it up or else just delete it!
We’ve both quoted official statistics.

You just quote yourself.:2cents:

It’s interesting to look at the global picture.

The situatjon in Taiwan of stagnant wages since about 2007 is quite normal for developed countries unfortunately.

Interestingly it is China that has really been the huge gainer in terms of salaried incomes. Take them out of the picture and things look rough for both developed and developing countries.

I will try to. I vividly remember having seen them online but I just can find them now. There must be some keywords I’m missing

And ehhhhh setting back time for like half a century the countries that see a large growth on income would be Japan, and then a bunch of other countries. Growth stops when it stops, it will happen to China as well, sooner or later, and it’s not gonna be fun for them given how much they have sacrificed for this “impressive” growth. Taiwan’s today = China’s future, just 1000 times worse in scale and multitude.

I don’t think we can compare a vast country like China with Taiwan too much although I agree their great salary growth spurt will come to a halt much sooner than later.

After that it’ll probably be major cities and tech centers which show continued income growth and stagnation in the hinterland…especially as much of the hinterland has a declining population and will suffer effects of industrial pollution.

Amen Brianjones!

Bottom line is China is sucking the world dry, including Taiwan.