HTC is still ALIVE! (previously no more)

We consume for a variety of reasons. Most people make emotional consumption decisions and then try to justify them to themselves logically. If Taiwanese companies understood this better, they might have a chance competing globally as brands.

Did well for a while but no clue on marketing.

Even stupid companies like Oppo killed them marketing wise.

The problem in Taiwan is the scale.

I bet the problem wasn’t marketing per se. Rather departments and decisions being overruled by old executives from engineering backgrounds who think they are Steve Jobs. Imagine they had decent marketers and marketing budgets.

1 Like

Are you joking? Did you see the ads they ran with Robert Downey Jr? They were a disaster!

1 Like

Well they couldn’t market (apple) and they couldn’t own the market (samsung). Stuck in the middle and got crushed.

Exactly. Imagine the marketing department were being overruled all the time by the decisions from elsewhere.

In impressed with Oppo cos they know their market. Found a strategy that works and go at it 200‰. Cheesy so what.
No messing around.

1 Like

Chinese companies respect skills. Taiwanese companies dont.

Taiwanese companies are all engineerocracies and cant get out of the ODM mindset. They dont even understand their own market.

1 Like

I had no idea what HTC is (was) and reading the replies, it doesn’t seem like I missed much.

I used my last phone–HTC Incredible S–for over 4 years, and I bought it over a year after it was initially released (so, almost 6-year-old technology). I still have it as a phone for my parents to use when they come to visit. It’s a bit slow running current apps, though. I’ve even dropped it a few times with no damage. Otherwise, best phone I’ve ever had. I have the HTC 10 now, and my wife has the solar red HTC U11. I’m hoping for a similar lifespan out of them, but who knows.

They made some stupid phones before the 10, and I don’t think their non-flagship phones were the best quality. Their marketing SUCKED, too (or has someone already mentioned that?). :wink:

They’ll probably just be used for the Pixel devices from now on. I’d get one for my wife, but I’m seriously considering SailfishOS for my next phone…but hopefully that won’t be for a few years.

I was walking Bobby in their park and as their bus pulled in their offices to take people to Taoyuan, I looked at the engineers I wondered what would be to work there. Maybe exciting? Creative job? Marketing all over the world?

Guess now I will never know.

i knew someone who worked there before, even went to the HQ, cool building but seemed like a typical taiwanese company. i quite like the phones but it seems like they were becoming less unique. in this current market you need to be unique, 95% of phones offer the same thing these days. i chose the LG one i have because it had some unique features instead of just being slightly faster, more megapixels with the camera ect.

I wonder if there will be massive layoffs, sucks for the folks who needed a job and were bound by NDAs.

I’ve been trying to buy the newest HTC smartwatch (which gets great reviews) for like the last 6 months but all the shops keep telling me they don’t have it in Taiwan even though it’s a Taiwan own company

The management sucks.

2 Likes

My landlord works at HTC, hope he keeps his job and doesn’t need to sell his house!

Oppo seems to be doing pretty good compared to HTC “According to IDC report, it (Oppo) was ranked as number 4 smartphone brand worldwide in 2017 Q1, and was number 1 smartphone brand in China in 2016”

Not even half price. They bought it in 2011 for more than 12 billion and sold it in 2014 for 3 billion!

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I gave HTC a chance and switched from my Samsung S2 to the HTC Butterfly S. Big mistake! At first, it wasn’t bad. Just big and heavy. Only after a few months it started to lag pretty bad. Then I noticed my pictures had a weird purple hue to them. Found out the Butterfly S (and HTC One at the time) had a faulty sensor.

Switched back to Samsung with the S6 and now have the S7. Absolutely love it and so happy to be back with Samsung!

HTC had some reasonably successful phones, then customers kept telling them:“The hardware is good, the software is a brick. Use a lighter version of Android and keep the price low”. HTC kept fiddling with their OS and the price kept going up.
Meanwhile, Asus started producing the kind of smartphones that people were asking HTC to produce.

Well rekt.

I have a couple as well. Very disappointing. Terrible build quality.

I had a HTC touch back back in the day and then the HTC desire. I wanted to like them but they removed the removable battery early like apple and that was a necessity for me along with stupid moves like removing the headphone jack. Plus their screens aren’t as good as samsung

I’ve since switched to LG phones as they lose value quickly and you can pick up a flagship phone for dirt cheap a few months after release.