I am flying to Taiwan to look for a job

Don’t see what’s wrong with a suit to an interview. As long as it’s not one of the off the rack cheap suits. I get a bad impression from people wearing those. Every man should save up and invest in a tailored suit that looks well doesn’t need to be ridiculously priced with the finest materials. But should be fitted nicely with decent materials.

Wonderful Mayor Hsu decided to re-zone all the Bars. There are just a handful of Western style bars left in the whole of Taichung. The Club fire was his excuse to do it . There are a lot less Foreigners with higher paid jobs also. When Power Station, HSR work etc, was in full swing , it was a much wilder place.

Can you recommend anywhere now?

If you are young (under 30), I would recommend living near a university.
Typically the food stall prices there are a bit less, due to students’ budgets.
You can also maybe try to study Chinese part-time at their language center or find a language exchange partner with a student.
University areas are a lot more active for all kinds of things that young people want to do.
Taichung has a few big university areas you can check out:
Tunghai U., Feng Chia U., NUTC, and some others.

Buy a cheap fold-up bike that you can roam around the city in (and easily carry in a bag on trains).

What? Right NOW! Ha. Give you a PM soon.

I thought the party was 10 or more years ago.

I think the term fashionably late applies

I hear Hsinchu’s nice…:tumble:

One thing to be aware of in terms of savings is Taiwan’s magic 183 day rule. If you spend less than 183 days of the calendar year in Taiwan, you’ll be taxed at a flat rate (I think it’s 18%, with no deductions). If you spend more than 183 days, you’ll be taxed on a progressive rate with deductions possible. Since you’re arriving early in the 2018 calendar year, this should definitely help as this distinction really makes a big difference in terms of what you can keep!

I hope this helps,

Guy

@Andrew0409 could you give some advice on where in Taipei to get a tailored suit made, and approximate cost? I know a lot of folks do this kind of thing in Hong Kong or Bangkok but is it possible to get as good quality right here at home?

It’s been about eight years since I bought a suit so I’d say it’s about time.

1 Like

I haven’t got one done here. But don’t need to get super high quality materials. Very few people can tell. You should be able to get a decent quality one for 15-20k in Taiwan from a few places I walked by. The important part is it’s tailored to you and looks fitted and not polyester off the rack stuff. Lighter fabric which you’ll probably want in Taiwan’s heat is a bit cheaper as well.

Update:

I have arrived in Taipei, been to two night markets (Shilin and Ningxia) which are incredible. Went to an electronic darts bar and got introduced to one guy’s extended family (10+ people) who all wanted photos.

This place is amazing. I have 1 more day then I move to Taichung to work.

Witnessed my first earthquake earlier, (mag 5) which was interesting as we tal about it but the Taiwanese don’t even flinch.

Sounds great. Most of us went through the same after first landing here.
Here’s the stages (below) you’ll go through.
I don’t know about the others on the forum, but usually 1-2 years to get to stage 4 (stage 5 is when you go back to home country).
Some don’t even make it to stage 3 or 4 and skidaddle out of here.
Keep updating your experiences.

The five stages of culture shock are:

1) The Honeymoon Stage - You are very positive, curious, and anticipate new exciting experiences. You even idealize the host culture.
2) Irritability and Hostility - You start to feel that what is different is actually inferior. The host culture is confusing or the systems are frustrating. It’s a small step from saying that they do things in a different way to saying that they do things in a stupid way. You may blame your frustrations on the new culture (and its shortcomings) rather than on the adaptation process.
3) Gradual Adjustment - You feel more relaxed and develop a more balanced, objective view of your experience.
4) Adaptation of Biculturalism - You feel a new sense of belonging and sensitivity to the host culture.
5) Re-entry Shock - You go home and it isn’t what you expected it to be.

8 Likes

The stages can overlap, like for me 1 and 2 overlapped in the beginning.

I’ve heard that re-entry is generally a shock.

I’m in all five stages simultaneously at all times, after two years here.

Do I need to seek medical attention for this condition?

1 Like

The five stages of culture shock are:

Love this. Out of all the stages, I was probably stuck on stage 2 the longest. It took me four years to reach stage 5, and now I’m back working in my home country and can’t wait to go back to Taiwan later this year.

That’s ya honeymoon phase right there…

3 Likes

Just wait a day or two.

I almost didn’t make it past stage 1 when once during the second month in Taipei I got food poisoning. I was like, wtf! This quick! Broke out in rash over mid and lower parts of body. A cheap shot at a public hospital (no insurance back then) did the trick.
Not happened since.
I think my stomach lining has formed some new layers protecting me from night mkt food. Lol