I am half-white and half-Chinese

and I pretty much look like it. I could pass for Caucasian, but my skin is a little darker than most whites and my face might look a bit Asian. (My dad is American white and my mom is from Hong Kong.)

Will my physical appearance keep me from finding a job?

I am graduating from college this year and otherwise I think my background is similar to that of other first-time teachers. I will have a political science degree from a large state university. I am from Wisconsin and have lived in the US all my life. My English has a neutral Midwestern accent. I speak some limited Mandarin and Cantonese, but not very well.

I’m just worried that buxibans will refuse to hire me because I look like I might be Asian, or worse yet, an “inferior” race like Hispanic, Middle Eastern, Indian or SE Asian. Should I ever admit to being half-Chinese so they don’t think it’s something even worse? I have an Eastern European last name; maybe I could just say I’m Czech or something, would they have any clue that Eastern Europeans might have a more tan complexion? I was also thinking of claiming to be Jewish (I am often mistaken for this), but I wonder if Taiwanese have any clue that Jewish folks might look a little different too. I have an American-sounding name; hopefully that will be enough.

I am not unattractive, and most Americans just guess I’m white. However, my Chinese relatives all say they can tell I’m half-Chinese (although this might be because they know). My plan is to keep quiet about my ethnicity and hope the Taiwanese give me the benefit of the doubt.

(Of course, I do not endorse any sort of silly xenophobia–I’m just trying to get a job and improve my Mandarin.)[/i]

Hi there, jakay1620. It is a sad fact that different forms of discrimination , against Africans, African-Americans, Filipinos, Thais and even against other Chinese people, does exist in Taiwan. I have read at least one story in one of the forumosa forums before and of one of my friends, a girl from Canada, has had the same experience. She had to act as if she didn’t understand what people were saying about her in company.

I am also of mixed ancestry (White and African although most people think I’m White) and I speak with a slight accent (strangely, one school fired two English English teachers because the kids couldn’t understand them and hired me to work in their stead), but after four years in Taiwan, I’ve only been insulted once about my racial background. I have never had a problem finding a job and I’ve already had three job offers for this summer.

I would say that it would be pragmatic not to mention your racial background at first. Your interview should tell you a lot. If the manager asks you anything about your racial background, think twice before accepting work from them. The main thing is to get a job and prove yourself. Basically, if the kids like you, you shouldn’t have a problem. If the manager tries his/her luck by trying to lower your salary/or giving you more duties later, threaten to leave. Once you’ve proven yourself to be an asset, they’ll think twice before trying to abuse your rights.

You also have to be willing to leave a company if they start abusing your rights (they normally don’t fire people, but exploit them). If they know you’re desparate, they will probably exploit you. The only way to do that is to work at more than one school legally (I think you can have up to three schools on your ARC) and you also read a reserve fund in case you decide to leave. I would say if you maintain a bank balance that can sustain you for three months without any income, you’ll feel more confident. I would recommend these two points to any teacher, in fact.

I doubt whether one post will be enough to overcome our problem. If you’ve been following imaniOU’s thread, you’ll realize that it might be a continuous struggle to get and maintain a job, on the other hand you might be lucky and get a good school right away. Good luck and know that there are many people who will give you good advice and moral support at forumosa.

Congratulations for getting as far as you have. Being half-African, you probably have it worse than I will.

I just read another post a while back from someone else who’s Taiwanese and German. I assume he probably looks a little like me. Anyway, there was not a consensus on whether or not he would be fine. One person said he would be, and another person said he only would be if he looked white enough.

There’s got to be some more specific knowledge about this, particularly pertaining to getting a job. Are half-white-half-Chinese people liked or not? Am I worth less than a 100% white person, and if so how much less?

Perhaps being from the US gives me a slight advantage? Not sure. Are these people sophisticated enough to tell what sort of accent I have, assuming they would prefer my Midwestern diction to, say, an Australian accent?

In any case, I can probably find a picture of myself where I look positively Caucasian.

hi, i’m half irish, half german, and half dutch.

you should be embracing your cultural heritage, not hiding from it.

even in a job interview. if they really care and use it as a consideration then you probably wouldn’t want to work there anyway.

we are a global people.

you should be looking at your strengths, your virtues, your skills. there is nothing one can do about their genetic makeup.

every person is more than just a race, or an age, or a gender. for those who can’t look any deeper, you are better off without them.

get out there and show them the real you.

jm

The difference is that you’re 100% European.

It is the ideal, but it’s not always pragmatic.

I agree.

It is a good point. Personality and character are more important in the long run.

[quote]Congratulations for getting as far as you have[/quote].
Maybe it’s because and not in spite of previous struggles. Struggle builds character.

I’m not exactly half-African. I think every racial group is represented in my DNA although I’m only sure about my European and African ancestry.

Some people excell because of their mixed ancestry. There’s a guy teaching English and Chinese on TV who’s a case in point.

I think your accent will count in your favour.

Depends. See now if it’s just upper half white and lower half Chinese, I doubt anyone would really notice. However, if it was a left right split, employers may well be a little cagey.

HG

The difference is that you’re 100% European.

[/quote]

Erm… by my calculations, he’s 150% European.

jaykay1620,

The company I work for does not seem to have isues hiring people of your heritage. I know of one fellow in particular who is half Chinese and doing very well. Locals are quite fascinated by the offspring of Chinese and Caucasians, it seems. The guy I work with is generally regarded as very handsome. He was contracted out to teach classes at a local airline, a while ago, and was soon appearing in their advertisements.

[quote=“Huang Guang Chen”]Depends. See now if it’s just upper half white and lower half Chinese, I doubt anyone would really notice. However, if it was a left right split, employers may well be a little cagey.
HG[/quote] :roflmao: :bravo: Thanks for the morning laugh. :bravo:

What’s your name?

[quote]My name is Jon Jonson, I come from Wisconsin , I work in the lumber- woods there

When I go down the street, the people I meet, They say… “What’s your name?”

…and I say

My name is Jon Jonson, I come from Wisconsin , I work in the lumber- woods there

…and I say

My name is Jon Jonson, I come from Wisconsin , I work in the lumber- woods there

…and I say…[/quote]

Why would an American accent be preferable to an Australian one? They are both horrid! Now French or Italian that might be nice or just a beautifully neutral English accent. :laughing:

Americans don’t say words like “horrid!”

We say “horrible” or “terrible” or “Man, thats fucked up!”

But never some wanky word like “horrid!”

I think that’d get yer ass kicked in a lot of places.

“America…we talk good!”

“…as is our wont.”

We sho’ do.

[quote=“jaykay1620”]Congratulations for getting as far as you have. Being half-African, you probably have it worse than I will.

One person said he would be, and another person said he only would be if he looked white enough.

Are half-white-half-Chinese people liked or not? Am I worth less than a 100% white person, and if so how much less?

Perhaps being from the US gives me a slight advantage?

Are these people sophisticated enough to tell what sort of accent I have, assuming they would prefer my Midwestern diction to, say, an Australian accent?

In any case, I can probably find a picture of myself where I look positively Caucasian.[/quote]

:fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume: :fume:
While we all know what it’s like to live in Taiwanese society, when folks (foreigners) come here with preconceptions such as the moron above’s, it pi##es me off!
I suggest that, if you cannot embrace your own heritage, you best not come here. You’ll only serve to give credence to the locals’ false insistance that white folks are superior to anything but white.

Oh… I too am from mixed heritage and no, I don’t have it worse than you will.

Did you have to pay a price or being of mixed ancestry?

Did you have to pay a price or being of mixed ancestry?[/quote]

It may be a typo, but just what are you asking? :s

Mea culpa.

Have you ever been discriminated against because of your mixed ancestry. I would also like to know what you mixed ancestry is, as a matter of interest. I hope you don’t find my request too invasive, but it is germaine to the discussion.

[quote]While we all know what it’s like to live in Taiwanese society, when folks (foreigners) come here with preconceptions such as the moron above’s, it pi##es me off!
I suggest that, if you cannot embrace your own heritage, you best not come here.[/quote]

I suppose I was not expecting this sort of rude, ad hominem and utterly unhelpful response. I want to teach English in Taiwan, and I plan on dealing with any obstacles I face pragmatically. If someone won’t hire me because I’m half-Chinese, I can cover my eyes, stay home and pretend there is no problem, or I can try to make it through any sort of discrimination I face and teach English anyway. Of course, I’m trying to do the latter. On here, I’m trying to figure out exactly how many barriers I will face, and how I might deal with them. I believe this is constructive. (And I should note I’m not really that concerned, but it seems to be a tight market.)

This is not just about heritage. There are all kinds of unethical grounds for discrimination practiced constantly in Taiwan (and lots of other places, like right here in the good old USA). People will have trouble getting employed if they are too old, too ugly, too dark, too fat, (to some extent) male, or any combination of those. This subject has probably been beaten to death on here. I am a male who doesn’t look completely white, and I’m trying to see how much trouble this causes. I’m awfully glad I am who I am–in fact, I am trying to learn Chinese because of my heritage, and this is my entire reason for wanting to come to Taiwan! But that has nothing to do with my practical question.

I’m also certain this won’t be the worst practical problem I’ll have. Just like everyone else, I plan on trying to stay afloat while breaking as few laws as possible. I’m way more worried about that than I am about my ethnicity.

Are there a good number of half-white-half-Chinese folks running around, or are they a rarity? I hope the previous poster is right about a half-Chinese dude being considered attractive. :slight_smile: I was initially hoping there might be a half-Chinese person on here with some firsthand knowledge. Girls in the US have always liked that I look a little non-white, although no one has dated me for that reason. My impression are that the Taiwanese are a little less nonchalant about skin tone.

I’m still waiting for TaiwanSaffies to reply. Instead of concentrating on a typo, why doesn’t he just answer the question. It is a very pertinent question considering our history.

The OP didn’t deserve to be rebuffed in such a way. If you haven’t walked a mile in his shoes, you wouldn’t understand what it feels like to look in from the outside.