I-Pass, charging me twice for one bus ride?

So, I bought an i-pass card at a 7-eleven in kaohsiung. I started noticing that every time I would scan it on the bus, it would say “24” as the total instead of “12” - with the exception of the very first time I used it on the bus.

I looked up the transactions, and yes indeed, two transactions for 12 NTD each time I scan to get on the bus, but listed as different types of transactions.

Any idea why it’s doing this and how to fix it? Maybe I’ve got this wrong but I thought it was only 12NTD to take the bus, and that’s what I have paid when I pay cash. And I thought that’s what the fare sign said! Below is a picture of the transaction times/types.

It works fine for the MRT, ferry etc.

Maybe it’s defective.

You get charged per section, so maybe you are traveling two sections.

Can you elaborate on what a section is exactly? Is it something to do with how far I go on the bus?

With the exception of one bus ride, there was no scanning of the card when you exit the bus…

Thank you!

Then why do two charges show up at the same time? With easy card, there is one charge getting on the bus and one charge getting off the bus if multiple sections are involved.

I think I have the answer.

There are two different ways the fare is charged.

I Chinese it either says 段次扣款 or 里程上車

段次扣款 means you pay by section, meaning that you have to swipe your card when boarding (上車投票) or alighting (下車投票). Look at the sign above the driver. (At least that’s how it works in Taipei, not sure about Kaohsiung.) When the distance you travel is more than one section you have to swipe your card twice. Look at the route map in the bus to see if you travel more than one section. There is a “buffer” zone where two sections overlap. If you get on or off in the buffer zone you need to swipe your card only once, if you get on and off the bus outside the buffer zone you need two swipe it twice.

里程上車 means there are no zones, and the bus fare is calculated by distance. You need to swipe your card when getting on AND off the bus every time so your total fare can get calculated. If you don’t swipe when getting off the bus, your card will get locked. In Taipei that means you cannot use a bus of the same bus company any longer unless you have the card unlocked. Never done that so not sure how to unlock a card. In your case it seems (according to info from a Chinese online discussion) you are charged a second time because your card was locked on your last ride because you did not swipe the card when getting off the bus. Therefore, beside the second charge it says 特許搭程 (“riding with special allowance”) meaning that you are allowed despite the locking of your card and you are charged extra because you did not swipe the card the last time. Try to swipe the card the next time you get off the bus and see if the second charge goes away.

That’s my best educated guess. Hope it helps.

1 Like

That definitely DOES help, hannes. Thank you.

So, the last time I rode the bus there was a place to swipe your card upon exit, and a sign telling me to do so, so I did swipe it when I exited the bus that last time. However the 2nd charge from that ride still didn’t go away. I guess the easiest thing to do would be to pay CASH for the bus LOL.

Or I could call the number on my card and try to get it unlocked…? Anyone know if they speak English?

Thank you for your help!