I want these scooters off the streets!

[quote=“TheAmericanNomad”]I know I’m 22 pages late for this thread, and I know it isn’t good forum etiquette to post without reading all the replies to make sure your point hasn’t already been touched on, but I’m NOT reading 22 pages.

So, in response to the OP, does anyone find it a tad bit ironic that he (she?) is complaining about the repressive government in regards to marijuana, and then asks said repressive government to ban(or heavily tax) scooters?

your oppressive government is preventing me from smoking weed, Go away big boss man!

Help me help me! The smoke from scooters is bothering me! Get rid of all these dirty scooter drivers!

Though, not that I disagree with the OP’s point, just, that it is ironic, is all.[/quote]

Well he succeeded in making a very long thread. However, I’d go for a ban on motorcycles as long as a string of Dutch Style Coffee shops could be opened in Taipei. Although on second thoughts I’d rather not have plasticizer in my spliff :roflmao:

[quote=“fenlander”][quote=“TheAmericanNomad”]I know I’m 22 pages late for this thread, and I know it isn’t good forum etiquette to post without reading all the replies to make sure your point hasn’t already been touched on, but I’m NOT reading 22 pages.

So, in response to the OP, does anyone find it a tad bit ironic that he (she?) is complaining about the repressive government in regards to marijuana, and then asks said repressive government to ban(or heavily tax) scooters?

your oppressive government is preventing me from smoking weed, Go away big boss man!

Help me help me! The smoke from scooters is bothering me! Get rid of all these dirty scooter drivers!

Though, not that I disagree with the OP’s point, just, that it is ironic, is all.[/quote]

Well he succeeded in making a very long thread. However, I’d go for a ban on motorcycles as long as a string of Dutch Style Coffee shops could be opened in Taipei. Although on second thoughts I’d rather not have plasticizer in my spliff :roflmao:[/quote]

My analogy was meant to point out the inconsistencies on how your government cares about your health. It was not meant to be a statement pro or contra taking drugs of any kind.
Secondly, there is nowhere a single line in my whole post including the title where I want scooters to be banned.

I believe in individual transportation! I do not think you can force people to enter a confined space with hundreds of others buttfucking each other.

All I say is that I want [color=#FF0000]these[/color] scooters off the street.
That’s not too much to ask for. And I can’t understand the people here rambling for 24 pages and more defending their little pieces of last century trash.

Yes it is too much to ask for. I need my scooter, I like to be able to park easily at shops and other places. It’s cheap to run. #1 its very convenient. So there. Last century’s trash is next century’s collectors items.

I ‘need’ my scooter…waahhhhh.

All I know is that even here in the U.S. of A which must be one of the least scooter friendly countries in the world, I have been enjoying the hell out of my 2011 Tomos St, and I fail to see how trading my 80-100mpg Tomos for a 20mpg SUV is going to help air quality.

You have sufficiently proven (in my mind at least) that scooters are contributing significantly to air pollution, but you have yet to prove that Scooters are significantly worse than traditional car vehicles, which are what would replace scooters on the street if you banned them.

I don’t get it. The OP never said ban scooters in favour of cars? He said make them electric or more efficient?! Which is a good idea, is it not?

Surely that should be: “Nobody! Not the government, not the public, not the scooter riders, NOBODY! is even listening to me … waaaahhhh!” :laughing:

Where does the electricity come from, then? Should we have more coal power plants or nuclear ones?

Where does the electricity come from, then? Should we have more coal power plants or nuclear ones?[/quote]

From a battery :smiley:

Hey don’t shoot me I’m the messenger! Seriously though, In terms of numbers of scooters the pollution from them is pretty bad. As i’ve stated before I don’t have an alternative, I just agree with the OP’s POV and it would be nice to cut pollution levels on this wonderful island.

[quote=“TheAmericanNomad”]All I know is that even here in the U.S. of A which must be one of the least scooter friendly countries in the world, I have been enjoying the hell out of my 2011 Tomos St, and I fail to see how trading my [color=#FF0000]80-100mpg[/color] Tomos for a [color=#FF0000]20mpg SUV [/color]is going to help air quality.

You have sufficiently proven (in my mind at least) that scooters are contributing significantly to air pollution, but you have yet to prove that Scooters are significantly worse than traditional car vehicles, which are what would replace scooters on the street if you banned them.[/quote]

Who wants to trade scooters for suvs? And what logic are you following if any?

suv 2900 and 4400 pounds

[quote]SUV
Top 10 gasoil

1. Fiat Sedici 2.0 - Verbrauch 4,9 l/100 km
  2. Suzuki SX4 2.0 - Verbrauch 4,9 l/100 km
  3. BMW X1 sDrive18d - Verbrauch 5,2 l/100 km
  4. Nissan Qashqai 1.5 - Verbrauch 5,2 l/100 km
  5. BMW X1 sDrive20d - Verbrauch 5,3 l/100 km
  6. VW Tiguan 2.0 TDI - Verbrauch 5,3 l/100 km
  7. Dacia Sandero Stepway 1.5 dCi - Verbrauch 5,3 l/100 km
  8. Skoda Yeti 2.0 TDI - Verbrauch 5,4 l/100 km
  9. Volvo XC60 2.4 DRIVe - Verbrauch 6,0 l/100 km
  10. Volvo XC70 2.4 DRIVe - Verbrauch 6,0 l/100 km
    Die komplette Liste finden Sie unterhalb des Artikels

Top 10 gasoline

1. Fiat Sedici 1.6 - Verbrauch 6,2 l/100 km
  2. Suzuki SX4 1.6 - Verbrauch 6,2 l/100 km
  3. Lexus RX 450h 3.5 - Verbrauch 6,3 l/100 km
  4. Dodge Journey 2.0 CRD - Verbrauch 6,3 l/100 km
  5. Skoda Yeti 1.2 TSI -Verbrauch 6,6 l/100 km
  6. VW Tiguan 1.4 TSI - Verbrauch 6,7 l/100 km
  7. Nissan Qashqai 1.6 - Verbrauch 6,7 l/100 km
  8. Suzuki SX4 1.5 - Verbrauch 6,7 l/100 km
  9. Suzuki SX4 1.6 - Verbrauch 6,8 l/100 km
  10. Hyundai Tucson 2.0 CRDi GLS - Verbrauch 7,0 l/100 km
    Die komplette Liste finden Sie unterhalb des Artikels[/quote]

Scooters 225 pounds and less

[quote]scooters
Best gasoline consumption

1.  Aprilia SR 50 DiTech 	2,2

2.  Yamaha Majesty 125 	3,0

3.  Kymco Spacer 125 	3,2

4.  SYM Jungle 50 	3,2

5.  MBK Flame 125 F 	3,2

6.  Peugeot Elyséo 125 	3,3

7.  Daelim Tapo 50 	3,3

8.  Aprilia Habana 50 	3,3

9. Yamaha Aerox 50 Ultimate 3,3

10.  Yamaha Aerox 100 	3,3

11.  Aprilia Rally 50 	3,4

12.  Hyosung Hyper 125 	3,4

13.  Hyosung Avanti 50 	3,4

14.  Aprilia Area 51 	3,4

15.  Derbi Atlantis 50 	3,4

16.  Yamaha Why 50 	3,4

17.  Yamaha Teo´s 125 	3,4

18.  SYM Shyrk 125 	3,4

19.  BMW C1 	3,5

20.  Vespa ET 4 	3,5

21.  Peugeot Elyséo 50 	3,5

22.  Kymco People 50 	3,5

23.  Honda Bali 50 	3,5

24.  Suzuki Katana 50 	3,5

25.  Honda @125 	3,5

Highest gasoline consumption

26.  Honda Silver Wing 600 	6,0

27.  Piaggio X9 500 	5,8

28.  Yamaha Tmax 500 	5,7

29.  Italjet Dragster 180 	5,6

30.  Suzuki Burgmann 400 	5,4

Die sparsamsten 50er Lit/100

31. Aprilia SR 50 Di-Tech 	2,1

32. Benelli Naked 	2,8

33. Malaguti Ciak 50 	2,8

34. Italjet Torpedo 50 	2,9

35. Piaggio Zip II 50 	2,9

36. SYM DD 50 3,0 (neu)

37. Kymco Yup 50 	3,1

38. SYM Mask 50 	3,1

39. Kymco top Boy 50 Cross 3,4

40. Piaggio Diesis 	3,4

41. SYM Fiddle 50 	3,4

42. Beta Ark 50 AC 	3,5

43. MBK Booster NG 	3,5

44. Peugeot Looxor 50 	3,5

45. Peugeot TKR 50 	3,5[/quote]

More importantly the oil that’s burned per 1000KM

[quote]Öl-Verbrauch - 1.000 km Liter

1. Aprilia SR 50 DiTech 	0,45

2. Kymco Spacer 50 	0,48

3. Aprilia Habana 50 	0,56

4. Yamaha Aerox 50 Ultimate 	0,60

5. Hyosung Avanti 50 	0,60

6. Suzuki Katana 50 WR 	0,60

7. Aprilia SR 50 LC 	0,62

8. Malaguti F-10 Jetline 	0,62

9. Suzuki Estilete 50 	0,64

10. Kymco People 50 	0,68

11. Hyosung Supercab 100 	0,69

12. Italjet Dragster 180 	0,70

13. Peugeot Speedfight 50 II LC 	0,70

14. Benelli 491 Army 	0,71

15. Aprilia Area 51 	0,72

16. Honda Pantheon 125 	0,73

17. Siam Birdie 50 	0,74

18. Piaggio Hexagon 180 	0,74

19. Malaguti Yesterday 50 	0,75

20. Honda Bali 50 	0,75

21. Malaguti F-12 100 	0,75

22. Aprilia Rally 50 	0,76

23. MBK Nitro 50 	0,76

24. Malaguti F-12 Phantom 	0,77

25. Kymco Super 9 	0,78

Höchster Öl-Verbrauch Liter
  26. Yamaha BW´s 100 	2,00

27. Yamaha Neo´s 100 	1,90

28. Peugeot Trekker 100 	1,80

29. Peugeot Elyséo 100 	1,70

30. Yamaha Aerox 100 	1,35 

[/quote]

Your suv can weigh up to 4400 pounds and uses 6.6 L per hundred KM
Your scooter weighs only 225 pounds only 1/20 the weight of an SUV but still burns half the amount of gas per 100Km an SUV would.

VW polo 2645 pounds 3,3 Liter per 100Km

Therefore your scooter is nothing to be proud of! It’s last century’s junk and should go where it belongs.

Where does the electricity come from, then? Should we have more coal power plants or nuclear ones?[/quote]

Hey don’t shoot me I’m the messenger! Seriously though, In terms of numbers of scooters the pollution from them is pretty bad. As I’ve stated before I don’t have an alternative, I just agree with the OP’s POV and it would be nice to cut pollution levels on this wonderful island.[/quote]

And I am suggesting that it might not cut pollution levels at all, just change the source. Taiwan already has issues with power generation. Imagine if, suddenly, millions of battery-powered vehicles needed juice. Solar panels aren’t going to cut it. So, I ask again: Do we build more coal-fired power plants or a couple more nuclear ones?

Actually that’s what you titled the thread as. In your OP you ranted about scooter and incomplete combustion. Incomplete combustion covers all scooters. I can’t don’t remember seeing any post where you stated that you only wanting to ban one specific type of scooter (eg 2 stroke 50cc scooters). I can’t say for sure that you never did get specific it’s possible I don’t remember or didn’t see it.

But if all you’ve said is ; [quote=“Hamletintaiwan”] All I say is that I want [color=#FF0000]these[/color] scooters off the street. [/quote]

Then you can’t be surprised that someone would take it to mean all.

Hey don’t shoot me I’m the messenger! Seriously though, In terms of numbers of scooters the pollution from them is pretty bad. As I’ve stated before I don’t have an alternative, I just agree with the OP’s POV and it would be nice to cut pollution levels on this wonderful island.[/quote]

And I am suggesting that it might not cut pollution levels at all, just change the source. Taiwan already has issues with power generation. Imagine if, suddenly, millions of battery-powered vehicles needed juice. Solar panels aren’t going to cut it. So, I ask again: Do we build more coal-fired power plants or a couple more nuclear ones?[/quote]

Honestly I don’t know! Looking forward it may be possible to build a hydrogen power station (that is really looking forward). Given the two options, then it would have to be nuclear, wouldn’t it? What do you think Mr Toasty?

What I have learnt is that the testing procedure for motorbikes doesn’t kick in until five years from manufacturer and then it is only advisory. A badly emitting exhaust on a motorbike is open to a fine (NT$ 1,500) and that is about that. All very discretionary and not black and white law! It would help if a yearly check was compulsory and a certificate (in the UK they have M.O.T) was issued that would have to be produced to gain insurance. This could be databased and cameras set to record number plates and offenders could be dealt with via the post. Easy policing!

Well we seem to have two classes of people saying this. Those that can’t understand written English and those who for lack of fact simply make up shit.

Here’s what the OP said;

[quote] To make it short.

I hate them.
Their gasoline combustion is so terribly incomplete that it makes us become sniffers.
They are making such a big deal here if someone gets caught with a joint. When driving a scooter, however, you can let people sniff your gasoline as much as these things can blow through their pipes, often straight into the face.

Are these people aware of the health-risks involved in sniffing unburned gasoline?
For example; you could smoke pot everyday for 20 and more years and still be a functioning human being. After a few years of sniffing gas, however, your brain is toast.
Besides, gasoline damages pretty much all the organs and is proven to cause cancer.

So, when will the government have the guts and step in. The technology to have them run on electricity is here, eventually with a combustion engine as a range extender.
All these scooters burning or better not burning gas at the traffic lights is mass suicide. [/quote]

So let’s go slow here for you Stevie shall we;

Opening paragraph;

[quote] I hate them.
Their gasoline combustion is so terribly incomplete that it makes us become sniffers.
They are making such a big deal here if someone gets caught with a joint. When driving a scooter, however, you can let people sniff your gasoline as much as these things can blow through their pipes, often straight into the face. [/quote]

[quote] Their gasoline combutstion [/quote] That’s all of them he doesn’t specify further. He follows that with a sentence making some semi-coherant rant comparing joint smoking to the exhast fumes.

Second paragraph;

[quote] Are these people aware of the health-risks involved in sniffing unburned gasoline?
For example; you could smoke pot everyday for 20 and more years and still be a functioning human being. After a few years of sniffing gas, however, your brain is toast.
Besides, gasoline damages pretty much all the organs and is proven to cause cancer. [/quotes]

Again pretty general statment about scooters. He’s over doing the amount of unburned gasoline is actually released. He also seems to know quite a bit about dope smoking.

Last paragraph;

[quote] So, when will the government have the guts and step in. The technology to have them run on electricity is here, eventually with a combustion engine as a range extender.
All these scooters burning or better not burning gas at the traffic lights is mass suicide. [/quote]

He expresses his opinion that the technology to have them run on electricy is here as fact. Of course it’s not quite as simple as that so that gets debated which is fair. Then he says [quote] All these scooters burning or better not burning gas at the traffic lights is mass suicide. [/quote][/quote]. Well that pretty much covers all scooters doesn’t it?

So you can be amazed that this has carried on for 25 page or so. But, that is what happens when you get people who when their not misrepresting what been said they’re busy misrepresenting basic scientific fundamentals.

WTF? Don’t shoot me!

Why not build little minature nuclear power plants for motor vehicles. Clean energy and you could drive around for years without needing to refuel.

Well we seem to have two classes of people saying this. Those that can’t understand written English and those who for lack of fact simply make up shit.

Here’s what the OP said;

[quote] To make it short.

I hate them.
They are making such a big deal here if someone gets caught with a joint. When driving a scooter, however, you can let people sniff your gasoline as much as these things can blow through their pipes, often straight into the face.

Are these people aware of the health-risks involved in sniffing unburned gasoline?
Besides, gasoline damages pretty much all the organs and is proven to cause cancer.

So, when will the government have the guts and step in. The technology to have them run on electricity is here, eventually with a combustion engine as a range extender.

So let’s go slow here for you Stevie shall we;

Opening paragraph;

[quote] I hate them.
They are making such a big deal here if someone gets caught with a joint. When driving a scooter, however, you can let people sniff your gasoline as much as these things can blow through their pipes, often straight into the face. [/quote]

[quote] Their gasoline combutstion [/quote] That’s all of them he doesn’t specify further. He follows that with a sentence making some semi-coherant rant comparing joint smoking to the exhast fumes.

Second paragraph;

[quote] Are these people aware of the health-risks involved in sniffing unburned gasoline?
Besides, gasoline damages pretty much all the organs and is proven to cause cancer. [/quotes]

Again pretty general statment about scooters. He’s over doing the amount of unburned gasoline is actually released. [color=#FF0000] He also seems to know quite a bit about dope smoking.
[/color]

Last paragraph;

[quote] So, when will the government have the guts and step in. The technology to have them run on electricity is here, eventually with a combustion engine as a range extender.

He expresses his opinion that the technology to have them run on electricy is here as fact. Of course it’s not quite as simple as that so that gets debated which is fair. Then he says [quote] All these scooters burning or better not burning gas at the traffic lights is mass suicide. [/quote][/quote]. [color=#008000]Well that pretty much covers all scooters doesn’t it?[/color]

So you can be amazed that this has carried on for 25 page or so. But, that is what happens when you get people who when their not misrepresting what been said they’re busy misrepresenting basic scientific fundamentals.[/quote]

[color=#FF0000] He also seems to know quite a bit about dope smoking.[/color]
Yes, I do after working in closed and open psychiatric hospitals for a few years. Sniffers and Dopers!

[color=#008000]Well that pretty much covers all scooters doesn’t it?[/color]
No it doesn’t. There are a handful of scooters on Taipei’s streets that I can accept.
The others are all too poor to buy a new upgraded version of a scooter and therefore, according to your and other poster’s statements, will go ahead and buy an SUV.

Why not build little minature nuclear power plants for motor vehicles. Clean energy and you could drive around for years without needing to refuel.[/quote]

LOL, have you seen the way people drive here?!? Taipei land of the 10,000 mico-fukushimas.

[quote=“Hamletintaiwan”]
The others are all too poor to buy a new upgraded version of a scooter and therefore, according to your ad other poster’s statements, will go ahead and buy an SUV.[/quote]
And some of us’ll buy BOTH. :laughing: :thumbsup:

No it doesn’t. There are a handful of scooters on Taipei’s street that I can accept. [/quote] Well that’s not what you said in your post which I site is it? You gave no qualifications.

There you go again completly misrepresenting what I’ve said. Actually as far as what I"ve posted you are factually incorrect. Some of you folks seem to have a serious issue with facts. For the record, I made the point that if you banned or made scooters too expensive to own (which even an idiot should be able to understand eliminates the option of buying a new or upgraded scooter) then a portion of those people (me among them) will end up buying automobiles.