I Was Stuck Between Hualien and Suao (3/4 December 2017)

I’m currently driving back to Taipei from Hualien on Highway 9. There was a landslide between Hualien and Suao, the road closed, and I’m stuck. I’m not in any hurry and have no need to be anywhere so I’ll just wait here and if I need to stay the night then I’ll look for a room.

I reached the back of the line of traffic which is about 3 km long where I am waiting outside NanAo 南澳. Its 2pm. Not only cars waiting but also tourist buses and regular scheduled buses. I don’t know what the other hundreds of car loads and bus loads will do if it doesn’t open eventually today.

Google Maps tells me the road is closed until 6:30 p.m. which is could be useful information.

After I passed Taroko Gorge heading north, I received an SMS telling me the road is closed from landslide but with no information about potential opening times. I find it quite interesting that they know where I am driving and that it’s important information to send to me by SMS.

Oof, good luck. On SMS: I was in Hualian about six weeks ago, when there was a whole bunch of flooding. I was impressed by how many different text message alerts I received in different areas, as our driver tried taking us to different (closed) tourist destinations. Ditto when we were taking the train home. I don’t know how well the system will work for the inevitable earthquakes, but for the flooding and road issues, the alerts seem to be working well.

The road is totally closed and not open until 7 tomorrow morning.

Schools, police stations, temples open to stuck travelers when hostels are full or unavailable. Take care.

The police were driving along and telling everyone to turn around. The buses and cars were trying to turn around and there were hundreds and hundreds of cars all doing the Taiwan 8-point turn around. I turned around in one quick move and drove back down to get a hotel. Hundreds of people and buses trying to get hotels. At least a hundred people came to my hotel physically while I was checking in and the phones were ringing off the hook.

I found a room luckily.

Not much in this town.

Nan’ao
272, Yilan County, Nan’ao Township
https://goo.gl/maps/cLK4dxktzz22

2 Likes

Nanao is awesome! There’s the fish market! And the beach!

I second that. One of the best corners of the island.

Is that the cove with the factory about 300m away from shore? I’ve always wanted to go there but the factory is a big turn off for me.

And as a general comment on this thread, we now refuse to take the Suao highway. We are waiting for construction on the new road to be finished. I’m hearing that it will be finished in about a year. Anybody have information on that?

Finally passed the landslide area at 1230pm after being stuck over one night total almost 24 hours.

Cars were backed up today at least 8 km in both directions. They were only letting one car pass at a time because they had to have a man watching for rocks falling. So one car went past, they would look up the mountain for rocks, and the next car would pass.

The problem area between Suao and Hualien is between Suao and Dongao so once that first section of tunnel is opened, driving south on Highway 9 should not have the big landslide delays anymore.

20171204_121757

So from the article below, it looks like the section between Suao and Dongao will be completed by January 15, so in time for Chinese New Year as previously projected. And the completion date for the entire highway is at the end of 109, so I guess at the end of 2018/beginning of 2019. Anyone feel free to correct my rough translation.

Will this be much of an improvement after that Suao to Dongao section is completed, @tango42?

蘇花公路改善工程蘇澳到東澳段,路段工程最艱鉅的東澳隧道,最後一塊襯砌已在日前提早完成,相關機電、交控等設備也陸續進行測試,蘇花改工程處指出,預計明年1月15日,蘇澳到東澳段可達通車標準,確定明年農曆春節前通車時程不變,全線108年底達通車標準。

I kind of look at the highway 9 improvement in two parts.

The first tunnel part will resolve the landslide and road closure problems which are almost always in Dangao Suao area.

The second part will make much of the remaining road straighter and efficient.

I’m a bit surprised that the environmental groups had a problem with this highway, because really it’s going to lessen the impact on the environment by adding tunnels and taking traffic away from the sensitive coastline.

South of taitung is another story for the environment as they are constructing a huge four lanes superhighway type road along the coastline. It’s an eyesore on the eye and a pain for the environment.

1 Like

We travel often to Hualien. I was originally thinking of buying a cheap used car to leave there and travel by train. But maybe just driving back and forth with our existing car would be preferred, especially if the drive will get much better after that first section is finished on 1/15. Hmmmm.

I can’t see why that would even be needed. I thoroughly enjoyed the drive to Taitung from Haulien. I don’t remember traffic ever being an issue.

Blocked again today at 4:00pm. Fortunately no casualties.

su-ao

Extra wide load?