ICRT - is it serving you?

I searched twice on my car radio for ICRT in Hsinchu Hsien and got nothing during yesterday’s blackout. So how can I get English info when power goes down? Low tech options or sw station ideas welcome.

If you have a cell phone, try their twitter/instagram feed.

Btw, what happened to their morning show djs? Terry Engles? Papa Paul?

Unlike maybe 20 years ago, there’s nothing official about ICRT. And it sucks anyway. If you move into the current century, you can pick up their feed on the internet and you don’t have to rely on a radio.

The best way to get information is through the internet. Twitter, Google, Reddit, and all the other million services that provide news and other updates.

Charge up your extra batteries and things and when there is a power outage, you can have alternate sources of power for phones and computers and anything else without depending on a local radio station or service that doesn’t care or has no capability to continue broadcasting in an emergency.

Link to commercial please.

The first time I heard about ICRT was from my Taiwanese X- girlfriend in America. She brought me one of their old mimeograph newsletters. It was a real community.
I came to Taiwan some years later, without the girl, and ICRT was really like a friend. It was on 24/7. In the morning I was greeted by stories of travel and adventure by a new guy turned reporter. I think he just uses his terrific Chinese to sell English lessons now. He really should be putting his power into selling us Chinese! Traitor…

At night there was a party dude who rocked the house. Goodness, I forget his name, but he was a body builder and a pretty good DJ.
Late night when I could not sleep there was an interesting soft spoken DJ called Hot Chocolate. I heard he got into some trouble but HE WAS THERE FOR ME.
It was live 24/7 and they talked to us newcomers as if we were friends.
When the typhoons came, they told us what not to do. Like, do not stand under a 7-11 sign, better yet, stay indoors! If there was any trouble or question, ICRT DJs and news staff really had our backs.

Ironically, it just kept getting better and better! More and more English. There was a morning show similar an American NPR show called All Things Considered. Then there was the big Earth quake. ICRT jumped in and helped. A few days later after they congratulated themselves all English shows went dark! Adds stopped being bilingual. the news disappeared. WE ARE ALONE!
SERIOUSLY WE ARE ALONE. many months ago, perhaps more than a year fire was under everyones feet! Boom, Explosions everywhere. People were driving like nuts trying to find a place in K-town that would not explode. ICRT played recorded music. No news men, There is a transmitter site with a freaking microphone in it. There was wall to wall coverage on the Chinese media. All they needed was one freaking person with a workable English vocabulary to just man the F-ing microphone, tell us to tune into a TV Station and give us a running commentary. NOTHING! I’m a traditional radio man. You are supposed to die at the microphone and you are supposed to get the NEWS OUT like war of the worlds That is the true meaning of Radio. Even my local American Radio station put the thing on Automatic and moved to a safe distance with their mobile van to keep broadcasting during an environmental disaster.
I say, and I posted before is to find out who is ICRT. What is the charter. We are the International Community. I say either they serve us or we make them forfeit any special government or service benefit.
If we are part owners, I say close them down, now.

1 Like

What year was that? Sounds like there must of been some unique external influence to cause that. USG no longer connected? Competition? Somebody in the Taiwan government telling them to shut up?

It was the new year, I think right after the big earthquake. They did not all go dark. The news stopped being every half hour, the evening and night went canned and the morning news shows disappeared. The commercials stopped being in English.
I’m not sure when, 16 or so years ago. One year runs into the next…
For practical purposes, the station did not continue to be of any use to me.

Note that the commercial you’re asking about is from around 13 years ago.

On what happens when the power goes out: what does happen when there’s a big power outage again, whether from a typhoon or a quake? How much internet access is still available? I thought I heard that some people lost their 4G signal during the outages a few days ago. I only ever listened to ICRT in the past during situations like that - I’m not sure what options there will be in the future.

This program is still worth listening to:

Interesting to hear the leading article from last Friday, considering the blackouts yesterday.

Very relevant and timely topic.

2 Likes

ICRT enjoyed US government support until 1979. It then became a business and Taiwan government was interested and helped support the station. Apparently, after 1999 earthquake, Taiwan government quit offering support. I’m not sure of the details. Maybe someone else knows what happened in 1999.

Anyway, ICRT is basically just another business trying to make money. It is not a service organization as originally started.

1 Like

As I understand it, ICRT was the old Armed Forces Radio for those stationed in Taiwan. When the military left in 1979, they just left it to be taken over. Or gave it. Or whatever.

I really loved ICRT. Their news and current affairs programs are still great. They have talent. I love Afu’s taxi. I especially love his little aside comments or whatever you call gestures in radio that show cultural differences.
Language links is great!. But they are focusing their talent in the wrong direction. They should use some of that talent to help us integrate into society. They should produce an ULPAN type Chinese program. Maybe they could even sell that overseas and retake Taiwan’s dominance in representing Chinese culture.
I know the history of ICRT.
I think I will start listening to Radio Taiwan again.
BTW, isn’t there another foreign own radio station up in the Taipei area? I think it is on shortwave and FM?. I came across its name and address but never heard it and can’t seem to find it again. Is it on the air, does it do English.
I live in the deep south so I can’t find out first hand.

9 posts were split to a new topic: Shortwave radio

Hi Seeker, I’ve enjoyed reading your posts in this thread.
Your take on the purpose of radio is similar to mine. I guess we’re old school.
In my searching I found this: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Radio_Taiwan_International
This may answer your question about radio in Taiwan. I’ve noticed their site is not Mac friendly.
In my search for English radio for an emergency this is the closest useful site I’ve found. Yet I doubt they transmit in a power outage.
Suggestions? TIA

Grave dig here to call attention to a fascinating look back at the history of ICRT during Taiwan’s Martial Law era after the US military pulled out (roughly 1979-1987). This story does present the US as open-minded would-be saviours of the folks of this island, which is not very satisfying given what we know about US support for the dictatorship. But there are many figures here who nevertheless tried to do good, whether it was related to music or politics or labour rights or the environment. It’s a fascinating read.

Guy

3 Likes

The 8am DJ need to reduce his adderal dosage.

He talks so fast like he’s is in a speed-speaking competition. Almost incomprehensible.

I thought only old people listen to the radio.

I listen to ICRT via net on phone. At least I try sometimes but mornings especially just ear pain.