ICRT (part 2)

Rooftop,

RTI could be what I have been listening to… 88.1FM. They have BBC world broadcasts in the morning, till early afternoon I think, then they have a couple of hours each of some different languages (French (?) early afternoon, followed by what I guess is some South-East Asian language, makes me feel like a language dummy!), some Chinese, and early in the evening they have some more BBC world. And they also have some Radio Australia somewhere there, too. I haven’t figured out exact times yet, but the BBC World is just excellent, and if I could speak anything else, I’m sure the other material would be great, too. Happy listening… NOT to ICRT!

[quote=“Hobart”]
Guys, if it is really that important to you, start some pirate station run by laowais, I don’t have much money, but I will sponsor you.[/quote]

Internet streaming broadcasts.

We are all on the internet. This is the target audience.

Can this be done from each IJ’s (Internet Jocks) home?

Hmmmmmm…?

Tianan Cowboy,

Check out internet radio service to find out how to broadcast from your pc.

One of the reasons why I don’t listen to ICRT that often is because with internet radio you have a choice of what you hear. You don’t hear Motorhead :noway: that often on any local station.

[quote=“Hobart”] Damn laowais always complaining about something!

quote]

Can I get an AMEN?!?!?!?! :bravo:

[quote=“Limey”]Tianan Cowboy,

Check out internet radio service to find out how to broadcast from your pc.

One of the reasons why I don’t listen to ICRT that often is because with internet radio you have a choice of what you hear. You don’t hear Motorhead :noway: that often on any local station.[/quote]

Limey…quite agree. I listen to internet radio all day and several hours in the evening.
I think its a viable iption to the ‘problrm’ presented by ICRT’s lack of quality and relevent programming to this target audience.
‘Foreigners’ have $$$NT’s and they are a viable advertising audience.

There is an opportunity here. (IMHO…lol)

Internet Radio is not really an option. You can’t get it in your car, and it doesn’t cover Taiwan topics.

The car thing is valid…however its just a matter of having Taiwan related programing, i.e., news, political commentary, Island information, tourism spots - things such as this. Interspersed with programming of interest to the targeted audience.

Anywhere there is a computer ot internet access…the ‘station’ can be received.

Just an idea.

[quote]Now I’m started, those bloody commericals by Tito Grey about Malaysia would have to be the most excrutiating radio I have ever heard. It sounds like a high school radio project spending friggen 3 minutes talking about circling friggen eagles and goofing at how ‘amazing’ it is.
Guy’s, Radio is not a visual medium, those ads are BORING the first time you hear them - just feel I need to point that out to ICRT.
To make matter worse, the play those Malaysia ads back to back in about a 3-4 minute segment, and then comes the Chinese version…yee haa… [/quote]

Dude. I totally called up Jeff Locker’s show once and started yelling at him that I hate those ads and I want Tito Grey to be eaten by cannibals. It was live, and he called me an A-hole on the air.

I still listen to Rick and Bill on the way to work, but I’ll pass on the rest of the programs. Ron Stuart’s show is an instant aneurysm enabler.

I can barely get them on my stereo-- :boo-hoo:

There was a brief period of time, I’d say 1989, when they weren’t bad, but they have slid beyond control. I only listen to them if a friend is on. I wouldn’t even give them the pleasure of telling their advertisers someone is listening to their station. Get an MP3 player or learn Chinese and listen to a local station. Or start a “Real Foreigners Don’t Listen to ICRT Campaign”.

I liked ICRT in the early Eighties…an all-day tape of classical music with the Gwo-Ge at midnite and sign-off. Did it for me.

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

Really? I seem to remember Caves, Chin Shan*, Imperial, Grand, LinKo and Mei-Ya…just to name a few.

*And is there ANY WAY to turn off that stupid pinyinizer? The bookstore’s name was C-H-I-N S-H-A-N! It was NOT Jinshan. :unamused:

:bravo: :bravo: :bravo:

ICRT served me well during my years at Dominican. Back when no one spoke English, back when we only spoke English during school hours, back when we hung out in Tianmu because at least there were people there who spoke English.

It was nice to go home at night, turn on the radio, and kinda do homework. Hearing English was like comfort food. Of course, this was 15-20 years ago, mind you.

Sorry, I didn’t read all ten pages … maybe people have already mentioned it … but what about that guy Joseph Lin - the program director? Not only is he the dullest radio personality I’ve ever heard, but he’s in control of programming!!

Sure, he’s trying his best, but some people just aren’t meant to be on radio. Makes me wonder … is he reading this? Should be.

I wonder if there is some sort of ban on posting here by ICRT staff. You’d think that someone would step up to the plate and explain things.
It is interesting that you mention this, inspire; just today I was thinking, “The song selection is consistently atrocious. It actually makes me physically get up and turn the channel.”
I hit the station sometimes for the news at the top of the hour, which they no longer provide on weekends, and tune in occasionally to see what they are playing. Last time was in mid-interview in Chinese. The only way THAT could be international would be if it were for our friends on the mainland (or Singapore and Malaysia, I guess).

Earth to ICRT! The 80s are DEAD!

6 am, the ungodly hour, there is bbc world service for an hour. The rest is pure shit. i have trouble understanding the guy who blathers at about 10 pm every evening. He has a poor voice for the radio.

You know, you might be on to something. After all, DC Rafier (or whatever his surname is), who hosted the Blues Power Hour, has posted here, but only after his show was pulled from ICRT.

BY trying to please everybody they end up with shit. I arrived in Taiwan in 1988, the last time I tuned in my radio to ICRT was in 1988.

The only station I really like in Taiwan is FM96. 只聽音樂不聽話

Jazz hour. what drivel, I like Jazz, well like Jaco and the like, but the junk they play, barely makes the grade, no, doesn’t do it at all.

I confess that it’s on in my car. I keep leaving my cd’s at home, darn it and I don’t know where the cool local stations are.

Ah, Taichung stations anyone?

If Jeff Locker wasn’t there the station would be …

much better. Did you hear the garbage he spouted on the forumosa interview. Gate crasher. :smiling_imp: :fume: :fume:

Thats right Amos, your daughter sucks on VB and listens to the radio stoned… where’s the AFL and meat pies? And you have the ABC from Oz, BBC from UK, DW from Germany, TV5 from France, Fox News, CNN, CNBC.

I like listening to BBC 1 / 2 / 3 on the radio, damn sometimes I even listen to VOA broadcasts as well.

Pirate radio? :sunglasses: