I'm an acupuncturist (OMD) in Taipei

There will be a pediatrics diseases seminar focusing on [color=#FF0000]ADHD [/color]and[color=#FF0000] atopic dermatitis[/color] at National Defense Medical Center Tri-Service General Hospital in Neihu, Taipei in [color=#0000FF]April 12th, 2015[/color]. The seminar is held by 台灣中醫病理學醫學會 (Taiwan society of TCM pathology). For each topic, we invite experts in these field including modern medicine doctors as well as TCM doctors to deliver speeches. This seminar will be conducted in Mandarin. If you’re interested in how these two different medical systems talk to each other, how they approach and treat patients differently, you can’t miss this seminar.

The agenda are in this link: cmptw.blogspot.tw/2015/03/blog-post.html

You’re more than welcome to come join us.
Thank you! ↓ NDMCTSGH Neihu Main Facility ↓

Hello, I have a skin problem, it has been called by chronic dermatitis, chronic neurodermatitis or atopic skin. I am Spanish and I gonna be in Taiwan until the month of jun, I have studied biotechnology but my my mother insisted that I should try Traditional Chinese Treatment. I have a scientific mind, but If there are nothing illogic I am open-minded to alternative treatment, so if do you think that you could try to help me, tell me something and I gonna visit you.

Of course, I’d be glad to see you. You could come anytime in my clinic hours:
(For first time visit: no later than an hour before the section ends)

Tue. 08:30-12:00 Neihu Clinic 176
Tue. 14:00-17:00 Tingchou Clinic 220 (Acupuncture Only)
Thu. 14:00-17:00 Neihu Clinic 162
Fri. 14:00-17:00 Neihu Clinic 176

↓ Map of TSGH Neihu Main Facility ↓

Larger map: i.imgur.com/z5baBNw.jpg

[color=#0000FF]1. [/color]If you have never visited TSGH, please go to the registration counter and fill out a “first-time visit form.”
If you’ve been here before, you could make an appoint online : www2.ndmctsgh.edu.tw/webreg/DrList.aspx and skip to Step 3.

[color=#0000FF]2. [/color]After that, give the form to the receptionist along with your ID card (and health insurance IC card if you’re with NHI). Tell the receptionist that you want to see [color=#FF0000]Dr. Hsieh[/color] (my last name is exactly the same worlds as “thank” in English:[color=#FF0000]謝[/color]) in [color=#FF0000]Chinese medicine department[/color]. Or you could just tell them the [color=#FF0000]clinic room number[/color], make sure you show up at the right clinic time section and remember the right clinic room number. They will register for you.

[color=#0000FF]3. [/color]Go to clinic room (162, 176 in Neihu or 220 in Tingchou branch), insert your NHI card to the card reader under the display screen near the clinic door. If you’re not with NHI, you could knock the door and tell the nurse that you’re here.

[color=#0000FF]4. [/color]Wait outside for a little bit. We can’t guarantee the time to see you since patients come at their own convenience. Please bring something to read. Sometimes no one’s waiting and you could come in right away.

[color=#0000FF]5. [/color]we’ll do a detailed TCM history taking, including asking you some questions about your symptoms and body constitution, see your tongue and feel your pulse. For the first visit, I’ll prescribe herbal medicine for 1-2 weeks and/or do acupuncture, which usually will take 15 minutes. If everything goes well, we can prescribe for a longer period of time the second time you visit. (maximum 1 month)

[color=#0000FF]6. [/color]After the treatment, you could go check out at the registration counter.

[color=#0000FF]7. [/color]Take the herbal medicine at the pharmacy right in front of Clinic 162 and you’re all set.

Looking forward to meet you!

If you do acupuncture and it “works” how often do you need to repeat the process ?

thanks

Chris

Thanks for asking, Chris. We would suggest the patient to come twice a week for acupuncture. If he feels better after a period of treatment, we’ll suggest them to come back weekly or biweekly or even monthly. Most of them will pick up herbal medicine to strengthen or maintain the effect.

As for how long will it take, it depends on the type of diseases, some are fast, some are slow. There are multiple factors that affect the patient’s condition. The most powerful effect comes from their habits, works and life styles. We have to inquire all these factors and evaluate the effect of our treatment carefully. Usually patients feel better and they come back for refill or acupuncture. We can’t cure all kinds of diseases, neither does modern medicine, but we can better one’s life quality to a certain level.

Just an FYI.
Tomorrow (Friday, April 3rd) is national holiday but we still provide outpatient services tomorrow.
If you don’t have time to come during weekdays, you could come tomorrow in the afternoon.
Give acupuncture or herbal medicine a shot.

↓ Waiting Area Outside of Our Chinese Medicine Department Clinic Room in TSGH ↓ 

Is anyone interested in Tai Chi Chuan, Tao-yin or Qi-gong?
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tai_chi
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tao_yin
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qigong

↑Ju-Ming Art Museum in Jinshan, New Taipei City ↑ juming.org.tw/ I’ve been here twice.

The theory of Tai Chi has a lot to do with daoism, which is the core spirit of traditional Chinese medicine.
Tai chi chuan’s theories and practice are believed to have been formulated by the Taoist monk Zhang Sanfeng (張三丰) in the 12th century. Although Tai Chi has been practiced for hundreds of years, not until recent years did we see some randomized control trials about the effectiveness of Tai Chi. In these RCTs, unlike most of the medicial research, not a single drop of blood was sampled, no lab tests or image studies required, just using questionnaires. And it was published in the best medical journal, NEJM. We hope there will be more and more studies like these to prove the effectiveness of the TCM theory, which came from the invaluable wisdom of ancient Chinese.

Lots of Taiwanese benefit from Tai Chi or Tao-yin and Qi-gong, they might not know the result of RCTs, they just feel more comfortable after doing it. Share with you.

A Randomized Trial of Tai Chi for Fibromyalgia
N Engl J Med 2010; 363:743-754 August 19, 2010
nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa0912611

Tai Chi and Postural Stability in Patients with Parkinson’s Disease
N Engl J Med 2012; 366:511-519 February 9, 2012
nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1107911

Tao-yin pictures in ancient books.

rodalesorganiclife.com/video … dian-herbs

Take a look at this herbal medicine store. NYC’s source of Chinese herbs, custom formula filling and acupuncture supplies for over 35 years.

Hi Joey, I have a quick question for you.

I recently got in a minor accident and fractured a rib. The dr said I need no surgery and to rest and not to irritate the area. She prescribed me pain killers which I took for 3-5 days after the accident to help with the pain. After the pain went away, I started taking Calcium vitamins to help with the healing process.

Before my accident, I was taking herbal medicine for my nose allergies three times a day before my accident and have stopped since my accident. To my knowledge, western and Chinese medicine should not be mixed.

My question to you is, is it ok to be taking the two simultaneously, just not one right after the other? I’m currently only taking the vitamins for my fracture and have completely stopped taking my herbal medicine, even though my allergies still bother me.

In our daily practice, many patients took both medicine in a period of time, most of them have hypertension, diabetes or other common chronic diseases, also those inpatients who are consulted from modern medicine department. We usually educate them that they can take both medicine simultaneously, but with more than[color=#0000FF] an hour gap[/color]. For most of the cases, the western medicine is prescribed to take after meals, so we would tell patients to take herbal medicine before meals, vice versa. The reason for one hour gap is to avoid direct mixing of both medication to prevent drug herb interaction. For the herbs that treats allergic rhinitis, there should be less worry about the interaction. :slight_smile:

In our daily practice, many patients took both medicine in a period of time, most of them have hypertension, diabetes or other common chronic diseases, also those inpatients who are consulted from modern medicine department. We usually educate them that they can take both medicine simultaneously, but with more than[color=#0000FF] an hour gap[/color]. For most of the cases, the western medicine is prescribed to take after meals, so we would tell patients to take herbal medicine before meals, vice versa. The reason for one hours is to avoid direct mixing of both medication to prevent drug herb interaction. For the herbs that treats allergic rhinitis, there should be less worry about the interaction. :slight_smile:[/quote]

Thanks Joey! Very glad I can take them simultaneously. My fracture bone and allergies thank you too. :slight_smile:

There will be a seminar on the pathology and treatment of [color=#FF0000]
diabetes mellitus
[/color]
and diabetes complications at [color=#0000FF]
Taichung Veterans General Hospital
[/color] in [color=#FF0000]
June 7th
[/color], 2015.
The seminar is held by 台灣中醫病理學醫學會 (Taiwan society of TCM pathology) and the traditional medicine department of Taichung Veterans General Hospital. For each topic, we invite experts in these field including modern medicine doctors as well as TCM doctors to deliver speeches. This seminar will be conducted in Mandarin.

Agenda
08:50~09:00 【開幕致辭】by 台中榮民總醫院 許惠恆 院長
09:00~09:50 糖尿病之病理學與治療進展 Speaker: 台中榮民總醫院 內分泌新陳代謝科 林時逸 主任
09:50~10:40 糖尿病之[color=#FF0000]中醫[/color]病理與臨床治療 Speaker: 中國醫藥大學附設醫院 前中醫內科主任 陳文秀 醫師
10:50~11:40 糖尿病腎病之病理學與治療進展 Speaker: 臺中榮民總醫院 腎臟內科 黃士婷 醫師
11:40~12:30 糖尿病併發症之[color=#FF0000]中醫[/color]病理與臨床治療 Speaker: 中國醫藥大學附設醫院 中西醫結合科 黃國欽 主任
12:30~13:00 綜合討論

You’re more than welcome to join us.
Thank you!

Hi Doc Joey!

Can I ask if using acupuncture or chinese medicine would be a big help for my eczema/skin itchiness all over my body and head which I had after giving birth and and moving to Taipei for almost 2 years. I’m from the Philippines and pollution is much worst there compared here. But my skin used to be flawless, probably my skin prefer the dirty environment. LOL. Anyways, I live nearby and I’m planning to visit your clinic soon, but want to know the details first if it would work for me. I’ve been to many skin doctors since last year. They’re all prescribed the same meds and ointment. I don’t think I have the patience anymore to see another one unless he or she is no traditional taiwanese doctor. Don’t like taking meds anymore. Been a healthy vegetarian for more than 10 years. I don’t eat out often unless meeting with my father in law for dinner once a week. So please tell me if you could help, I would really appreciate it. God Bless.

[quote=“ldybug608”]Hi Doc Joey!

Can I ask if using acupuncture or chinese medicine would be a big help for my eczema/skin itchiness all over my body and head which I had after giving birth and and moving to Taipei for almost 2 years. I’m from the Philippines and pollution is much worst there compared here. But my skin used to be flawless, probably my skin prefer the dirty environment. LOL. Anyways, I live nearby and I’m planning to visit your clinic soon, but want to know the details first if it would work for me. I’ve been to many skin doctors since last year. They’re all prescribed the same meds and ointment. I don’t think I have the patience anymore to see another one unless he or she is no traditional taiwanese doctor. Don’t like taking meds anymore. Been a healthy vegetarian for more than 10 years. I don’t eat out often unless meeting with my father in law for dinner once a week. So please tell me if you could help, I would really appreciate it. God Bless.[/quote]

According to your description, I believe there’s something we could do to help you with your skin problem. We will evaluate your body constitution and adjust the imbalance with herbal medicine or acupuncture. The non-specific skin problem is usually related to some organ disorder, according to TCM theory. (Notice: the organs in TCM is not totally equal to the organs in modern medicine.) However, we can’t guarantee that your problem can be solved by TCM, but you’ll feel better in some ways. Let’s evaluate your condition when you come. Since modern medicine can’t help you, you could give TCM a shot.

This will be the new schedule for my clinic section since June 1st, 2015

Tue. 08:30-12:00 Neihu Clinic 176
Tue. 14:00-17:00 Tingchou Clinic 220 (Acupuncture Only)
Thu. 08:30-12:00 Neihu Clinic 162
Thu. 14:00-17:00 Neihu Clinic 162

Here’s an interesting animation about yin and yang from TED-Ed.
This is the first thing one should learn in order to study traditional Chinese medicine.
Also take a look at this: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Yin_and_yang

↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ed.ted.com/lessons/the-hidden-me … -bellaimey ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓ ↓

About a month ago, I submitted a recertification application for NCCAOM diplomate of oriental medicine.
In order to be recertified, I had to earn 60 PDAs (Professional Development Activity) during the past four years.
Thankfully, I received a new diplomate wallet card and wall certificate this week.

Here’s the website of NCCAOM about Diplomate of O.M.
nccaom.org/consumers/orienta … tification

Here’s an article about the cost of acupuncture in U.S. The median cost of acupuncture nationwide is [color=#FF0000]$100[/color].

If you pay out of pocket for acupuncture in Tri-service General Hospital in Taipei, [color=#FF0000]$20[/color] only. If you’re with national health insurance, $5 only. [color=#0000FF]

The people in Taiwan are blessed to benefit from NHI, please use your health insurance properly.[/color]

nerdwallet.com/blog/health/ … ture-cost/

We’re now conducting a clinical research on [color=#FF0000]“Improving Sleep Disorder by Practicing Tao-yin for Menopausal Women”[/color]
We’re looking for participants who live in Taipei, Hsinchu, Taichung and meets the following criteria:

歡迎45歲~60歲(實歲),有睡眠障礙之更年期婦女(無治療中之重大疾病)。
能自由行走,無肢體障礙或限制活動,
可以親自至收案地點。(約6次,每次半小時至1小時,填寫問卷。)
可以國語及台語溝通[color=#0000FF](speaks Chinese or Taiwanese)[/color],經解釋研究目的及過程,
能理解測量問卷之內容,同意受訪加入本研究,並簽署受試者同意書。
在家練習道家養生引術,共持續2個月。

If you know someone who might be interested in participating this research, please contact us.
bcq-health.blogspot.tw/