I'm embarrassed to live in Taiwan

[quote=“JMcNeill”]"…but I grew used to that living in Detroit in the 70’s.[/quote]JMcNeil -
Well…not everyone has experienced the thrill of a Blind Pig in Livonia… :wink:

Every time I come back I ask myself, “Why? Did I forget what it’s like?” The place could be damn near paradise, and for a few weeks every autumn comes pretty close. When friends and family going to be in the neighbourhood and are thinking of dropping by–that is, those that can even consider coming to Taiwan given their health issues–“Yeah, buddy, I know you’re looking to put some miles on that new kidney of yours, but the anti-rejection drugs kind of kick the crap out of your immune system, don’t they?” or “What’s that, Unc? You’ll be where for a wheelchair race? Tell you what, how about if I come and watch?”–I typically ask whether or not they’d rather tweak their schedules around my work and meet elsewhere for a few days. Not that I wouldn’t mind introducing them to the life I’ve carved out here, it’s just that outside of my comfortable niche, there’s a lot to shock.

Well, my family came to visit a couple of years back. They were only here for a week, but after visiting Wulai, driving through Taroko and the Cross-Central Highway, hitting up temples, the museum, Taipei 101, drinking beers and BBQing seafood in Danshui, and spending the last night drinking tea on Mao Kong they were pretty damn impressed.

The fact I was so enthusiastic and had made such great Chinese friends, 15 of which accompanied us to Mao Kong certainly helped.

Tonight I just got off the phone with my mom, and they’re scheduling another trip.

So am I lucky? Or does it actually matter a great deal that since I am the tour guide, what I look at is what they look at? This goes deeper than physical sights; every day I choose to see what I love about Taiwan, whether it be the food, tea stands, the mountains from my porch, my scooter, etc., and what I don’t like passes me by without a second thought - and so it was with them.

They will see what you see. It’s your problem, not theirs.

[quote=“jdsmith”][quote=“derek1978”]You dont have to live in Taiwan years and years to realize or see that it is dirty. Anyone who can see can afirm that.

Truce? (extending a handshake)[/quote]

Taiwan is not dirty. It’s rustic and reflects the latter end of the last great Chinese empire.

:smiley:[/quote]

Yeah, emphasis on the “latter end.” :wink: :laughing:

Bodo

You could always put a blindfold on your parents at the airport and take them up to Yangmingshan and then remove it.

Yeah. If it wouldn’t be this ugly esthetically this place would be full of foreigners by now, lucky us :slight_smile:

Also thanks to the great foresight of Mister Kai Chek the government capital is Taipei with all the rain, stupid intellectuals and associations and their -I have to think for everyone- ideas while the true capital of love and culture is in Taichung or anything else near the tropic of cancer. I must still laugh at foreigners who are living southwards and think wasting their money in Taipei on weekends is the best. Go ahead! :bravo:

Oh, and I think beside the settlements this place is beautiful, especially if you ride into the mountains.

Not to mention the most beautiful thing are the shiny and extremly bright 7-11’s at night which are everywhere. If you are afraid to tell someone you live in Taiwan or you are afraid to let your parents or family come here cause of the esthetic factors I have only one thing to say. Thats your problem! :laughing:

[quote=“Sirakwai”]
Taiwan is an embarrassing place really. [/quote]

Remember this very zen thought…“where ever you are there you are”

And it SURE as hell beats living here.(Iraq)

[quote=“derek1978”]Call me crazy or nuts…but that is why I like Taiwan.

My thoughts when I got off the bus at the MRT main station:

“Nice subway system wow, im impressed so clean and efficient!” [/quote]

San Francisco’s BART system is really shabby compared to Taipei’s MRT!

Well, the Taipei 101 building was on the itinerary of course, as was the Chiang Kai-shek memorial, but apart from that everything else was an embarrassment. Friends suggested I take my family to a night market, particularly the one where we live which is famous in Taiwan, but it is nothing more than a sprawling flea market really. I hate going there myself because of the noise; the smell of greasy food and the pack of people, but then again most people like the night market for these very reasons. To be fair I have never met someone who doesn

God, you poor man! I hope you’re getting a shitload of money for being here! I can’t imagine how much I’d need to be paid to live in a place I hated so much.

I like your posts – they make me realize how lucky I am. Good luck on getting out of here soon!

I’m with sandman… your comments they make me treasure what I have even more - an open mind, open minded friends and open minded family.

Best of luck finding something resembling happiness. Sounds like it will be tough for you though.

[quote=“Sirakwai”] Taiwan is an embarrassing place really. The buildings look like crap, the roads are terrible, the air is toxic, everything is grimy

Is their underwear hanging on your balcony?

We have to hide ours apparently in case the neighbours spot it through the windows from across the street.

I must tell knickers about this. She can just get over it.

Nope. In order to get to “my” balcony they would need to go through my apartment. “Their” balcony however is conveniently located right across the hall and out in the open so as to catch the breeze. My jimmies hang out there for a day or two generally and the ladies in the office building across the alley seem to get quite a charge out of seeing me run out to fetch them. Especially in the summer.

Nope. In order to get to “my” balcony they would need to go through my apartment. “Their” balcony however is conveniently located right across the hall and out in the open so as to catch the breeze. My jimmies hang out there for a day or two generally and the ladies in the office building across the alley seem to get quite a charge out of seeing me run out to fetch them. [color=blue]Especially in the summer[/color].[/quote]

Obviously disappointing for them in the winter.

I do the same sort of thing and sometimes worry I’m shocking the over the road neighbours. They’d have to be actively looking in the window. I guess it becomes their problem then.

Still on thread. Embarassed while living in Taiwan, just different reasons.

I get down on the Island at times. Food, pollution etc. Things I can’t change other than choose higher elevations to live in the search for clean air and choosing cleaner food.

But, overall it’s okay and as with anywhere in the world its the people you mix with that make the difference. Not where you are.

If you want to talk dirt and embarrassment head down into the New York subway (talking 8 years ago). I was disgusted with how grotty it was. London, Hong Kong and even Taipei seem to do it better.

[quote=“AWOL”]I’m with sandman… your comments they make me treasure what I have even more - an open mind, open minded friends and open minded family.

Best of luck finding something resembling happiness. Sounds like it will be tough for you though.[/quote]

I think he is being very realistic. Negative, yes…but what does it take to be positive in a place like Taiwan? I have always been a postiive person…until I came to Taiwan, that is. I have gradually changed over the years, so gradually that I didn’t even notice it until my husband pointed it out to me recently. I don’t doubt that my positivity will return when I leave in a few months, though.

The most positive western people I know here are those who know they will be here for the forseeable future, or possibly their entire lives. There is a sense of “turning a blind eye” to the not-so-nice things about Taiwan and focusing mostly on the good, which is a great survival skill here. More power to them…I wish in a way I could have been more like that here, but I just can’t be. That’s why I know it’s time to leave. And, I would encourage others who have grown negative to think about the same thing…a change of environment is the only remedy at times.

[quote=“Indiana”]
The most positive western people I know here are those who know they will be here for the forseeable future, or possibly their entire lives. There is a sense of “turning a blind eye” to the not-so-nice things about Taiwan and focusing mostly on the good, which is a great survival skill here. [/quote]

Real easy to have that perspective when you got a woman/man… :laughing:

[quote=“Namahottie”][quote=“Indiana”]
The most positive western people I know here are those who know they will be here for the forseeable future, or possibly their entire lives. There is a sense of “turning a blind eye” to the not-so-nice things about Taiwan and focusing mostly on the good, which is a great survival skill here. [/quote]

Real easy to have that perspective when you got a woman/man… :laughing:[/quote]

Yes, especially when that woman/man constantly says, “You think too much!” You might actually start to believe it! :stuck_out_tongue:

[quote=“Indiana”][quote=“AWOL”]I’m with sandman… your comments they make me treasure what I have even more - an open mind, open minded friends and open minded family.

Best of luck finding something resembling happiness. Sounds like it will be tough for you though.[/quote]

I think he is being very realistic. Negative, yes…but what does it take to be positive in a place like Taiwan? I have always been a postiive person…until I came to Taiwan, that is. I have gradually changed over the years, so gradually that I didn’t even notice it until my husband pointed it out to me recently. I don’t doubt that my positivity will return when I leave in a few months, though.

The most positive western people I know here are those who know they will be here for the forseeable future, or possibly their entire lives. There is a sense of “turning a blind eye” to the not-so-nice things about Taiwan and focusing mostly on the good, which is a great survival skill here. More power to them…I wish in a way I could have been more like that here, but I just can’t be. That’s why I know it’s time to leave. And, I would encourage others who have grown negative to think about the same thing…a change of environment is the only remedy at times.[/quote]

My perception of beauty, hope, joy etc isnt in blatant displays of architectural beauty, reams of dusty history books etc… I see it in the way my wifes family operates, the way my friends are from multiple countries, backgrounds and races and we always have wonderful times, the way I can slip away to the mountains or a lovely beach, how I can choose NOT to live in the city and find a lovely house in the mountains 10 minutes to Taipei 101 and wake up listening only to birds in the garden. Its all about the way YOU choose to see things.

I was a negative person til I came to Taiwan. The fact we see things differently is what makes the world a wonderful place.

I agree 100% with you Indiana.

I’ve still got a foot on Taiwan and one dangling somewhere else. If I made a long term commitment to Taiwan I’d probably stop seeing the crapology.

AWOL. Good point. We’re all individuals with different perspectives. I could however see a theme amongst the mid term residents with an escape plan.

5th year might make me a mid termer if you gathered all the plus one year expats together then took a mean average of their stay on this hell hole or beautiful Island depending on where you stand.