I'm tired and I want to go home

Denny Crane…

Ridin a scooter in the rain ain’t helping. I want a truck.

Could be worse:

Yeah but… Fort Mcmurray doesn’t get cold, does it?

I lived a summer in Fort Mac… very short… and the horseflies and mosquitoes there are huge and swoop down and attack… never again would I live there. Stayed indoors a lot …

Could be better:

{imagine inserted pictures of sunshine and blue sky}

Good money?

it was in the 80"s when I was there… I was a bar waitress… yes … very good money… it was in the boom times… things have changed now… well not the horseflies… that’s still the same…

I’ve got a sister in Calgary so I’ll go there first. Get my H2S and first aid then head to Red Deer and Nisku to find drilling companies.

youtu.be/bjAkg2BNShc

Old Fort Mac song.

Looks like the northern gateway pipeline is going. Alberta will be boomin!

cbc.ca/m/news/#!/content/1.2470465

Other than Toronto, Vancouver or Montreal, maybe Calgary I wouldn’t want to live anywhere in Canada year round. Fort Mac is a good place to earn some money if you cant do it anywhere else but as far as a place to live I cant imagine it has much of anything to offer. after such a long time teaching in Taiwan you’ll be lucky to find a decent job there. Hope it works out though, ive seen Taiwan kindy teacher to huge success before one or two times before.

1 Like

I thought horseflies in Belgium were a pest …

Responses to dumb posts were sent from my Nexus 7, I hate Apple BTW, with Tapatalk 8

Yeah, I’ll be an old rookie. My fear is that if I don’t go soon I may never leave. Taiwan’s been good to me for a long time but I can’t do this forever.

I can sort of relate to the OP (sort of because I’d only spent 2 months in Taiwan). I wanted to leave so badly, I packed my bags 5 days in advance and if it weren’t for work, I probably would have spend those 5 days sitting on the said suitcase and rocking back and forth in anticipation. For the first time in over a decade I was actually happy to go back to Moscow. Usually, it’s a real chore coming here, even for a little bit.

Fort Mac is an oil sands town. Never been there but it is still booming. I think the GDP per capita up there approaches $170,000 a year. Even McJobs up there pay up to 20 dollars an hour. That being said, it is very cold in winter, there is not a lot to do (outside of outdoor activities) so people spend a lot on vices/toys (drinking, 4X4s etc.), and it is remote (although well connected through air). Lots of workers from other parts of Canada, especially from the maritimes.

This is a big part of it. As long as I don’t make a fool of myself in a boom town I oughta make it. Hell, I moved across the world once and it worked out okay.

I figured out that I’m just permanently restless. I’m ‘back home’ for loonanooyear and I’ve spent the last week wanting to stab myself in the forehead with a fork and counting down the days til I can go back to China. I’m supposed to be ‘relaxing’ and ‘enjoying being with family’. My company bought my ticket. I’m lucky. I don’t feel it: I just feel tired, angry and bored.

It’s getting closer. Gonna need to start selling stuff soon. Anyone need a houseful of furniture?