Imported goods over NT$2,000 to be levied with customs duty

Yeah, that was my think too.
Touch wood

They refunded 21 TWD from my Import Fees Deposit last Friday. 😁

1 Like

I’m also curious about Japan. I saw an instrument that interests me for around $540, including shipping. Anywhere you can find a list of what’s taxed how? It would ship EMS if that makes a difference.

This system really is annoying. Here’s a list I find via the post (came via EMS and ended with a government site) that seems to say that musical instruments have a 6.8% tariff, but since it’s from 2013, who knows?
http://portal.sw.nat.gov.tw/PPL/RedirectorNonLoginAction?appId=APGQ&privilegeId=GC451

Sure enough, as expected, there was no surcharge or additional fees, on a total cost of about $US120 with shipping.
So apparently the Post Office (the government) isn’t cooperating with Customs (also the government) in their nefarious scheme, but the Private Sector operators are.
Savour the exquisite irony.
Hopefully, a little extra elbow grease will enable one to resource dealers who don’t insist on using FedEx or DHL or other similar pigfuckers.

As for the equally heinous one per month limit, which promises to be equally troublesome, I got a minor dodge, alternating shipments to me at the office (my normal method) with shipping to the Mrs at my home addy.
So at least I can get 2 a month without worrying.

4 Likes

Inquiry: Amazon is telling me the “Import fees deposit”. Should I trust this number? I’m worried about ordering something and then discovering I’ve got to pay another few thousand (or whatever) in import duties upon arrival. Is there a way to accurately predict what the final customs duty is going to be?

Amazon UK once refunded me £8 when it wasn’t used on import duties. It’s not a big deal. Although usually there’s no refund.

3 Likes

The amazon customs fee usually nails it, but sometimes they overcharge and then refund. It has never been short for me when ordering.

1 Like

Ok, that’s good to know. Thanks.

So the Ministry of Finance website didn’t offer a lot of specific details about these new customs laws/number of package limits, so I’ve called them a few times and this is what I was told:
-First time I called: they said they are only tracking the address of the place the package is going to.

• Next time I called: tracking address AND name on the parcel, but eventually it will become tracking just your name through your passport/ID number.

-Parcels that come from overseas but not from actual companies (e.g. family sends you something/a present etc) is included in your 6 packages in 6 months allowance (which to me makes no sense). However, if your family member sends the parcel using local post in their country then there is a possibility that that parcel will not get chosen for inspection by customs (apparently when it’s sent through local post customs only randomly inspect some parcels because local post doesn’t usually offer tracking so customs can’t really know what’s going to be coming in), as opposed to DHL/Fed Ex etc that offers full tracking.

Hope this helps!

2 Likes

On shopping from iHerb: huh. So, it looks like the TWD$2,000 limit is calculated from the non-discounted price of the goods, plus shipping charge. Right now my shopping cart, including delivery and discounts, is TWD$1,797 total - BUT, if I add back in all the discounts, it’s actually worth TWD$2,065 … which means I’ll get dinged for additional duty? I think?

Right now there’s a 5% discount for dollars worth more than USD$50 - but I believe it’s basically impossible for me to place an order over USD$50 without also exceeding the (after shipping + discounts are added in) TWD$2,000 limit.

Just ordered something from Amazon for around 4K NTD. Amazon asked me for my ID number. Of course the website complained that my ARC number is not in the proper format, but accepted it anyway.

This is all about protecting local web vendors and conglomerates . Momo is owned by the same family as Fubon and Cathay . PChome local too. Just rent seeking.

Picked up one package tonight. Weight was 10KG.
No fees. No issues picking it up at the depot.
Sent surface from Japan.

Yeah I’ve had over 10 packages arrive in town this year, mostly over 2k in value. Besides a delay during CNY, nothing out of the ordinary.

Ordered from where and with what shipping company?

Who are you asking? For me, iHerb and Amazon.

Sorry, not you, but thanks. What was the shipping company? DHL or something else?

Wiggle, Pro Bike Kit, Chain Reaction Cycling mostly. I guess from UK/Europe?

Normal post.