Imported goods over NT$2,000 to be levied with customs duty

I actually had about 3 small ones delivered in Jan because 2 were ordered in Dec. and shipping was slow over Christmas, so…

Everything was DHL. I think I have two more packages on the way this month so I’ll almost be at 6. Yayyyy for me!!

I don’t order from iherb anymore but couldnt you just pay a friend to buy it for you, then they gift it to you?..Voila another 6 orders?

Got a package from Amazon today with some networking stuff. Got here in 10 days.
No customs duty needed to be paid when I received my package.

Amazon took some Import Fees Deposit which they refund if it was not used up. We’ll see how much I will get back.

amz

Probably with your next purchase!

They sent me an email and put it back on my credit card last time. I was surprised they actually paid me back.

Like dan said, they refund it to you credit card. But it takes some time.

Watch your orders, don’t get too close to 2,000NT$

4 Likes

This is bullshit :face_with_symbols_over_mouth:

Who thinks that is a reasonable tax on imports. :exploding_head:

Almost every country taxes imports. Corporations are always taxed, for personal use there is usually some threshold. Taiwan has been more lenient about this in the past, so some of us old-timers will need time to adjust.

That being said, import duty rates are public information. You can look up before your order what it will be. 0% for whisky, 30% for clothing, etc. If you still order above the threshold, you shouldn’t be surprised to be asked to pay taxes.

There are of course illegal ways to get around the import duty and in some countries mail and hand carried items carry different duty thresholds.

I am not against taxes. But like in your example having 30%*5% on clothes in a country that does not produce much clothing is too much.

There is no benefit besides government cashing in. This raises prices everywhere in a country where government helps companies keep wages low with their agenda.

Btw. I have never been taxed on hand carried items (in the luggage) anywhere. The only thing I can think of is, if you bring booze or cigarettes over the threshold of duty free allowance.

“But WAIT, there’s more! Not only do I have to pay $361 in import duties, but also another 5% AFTER import tax on the total order value + tax. So I’m PAYING TAX ON THE TAX.”

That’s the normal way to go! VAT on Cost+shipping+insurance+import duty.

1 Like

Oh, I have been, in Amsterdam Schiphol!

I am not arguing that the duty levels are set optimally, just that the information is publicly available. Anyone can do their own calculation on whether it makes more sense to buy a product here or to buy it on Amazon/iherb/etc. and pay shipping, duties and VAT. Often it is still significantly cheaper to buy in the US and pay shipping and taxes. I just don’t understand how people get upset at the tax rate they have to pay if they could have looked up the tax before placing an order.

Taiwan happens to have a low VAT compared to many (Western) countries, but import duties on some product categories are higher. As a business owner, I prefer not having to give 15-20% of every transaction to the government.

You’re a lucky guy, but it’s not unheard of. I’ve been checked multiple times in different countries, but luckily had no price tags on my clothing and my electronics showed signs of use.

The point is that some products are not available in Taiwan and therefor should not be taxed to the brim.

6 Likes

I like how Amazon in China includes the original price and the price after duties etc. That way you know exactly what you are paying at time of purchase. Often you then just go to taobao where you find it significantly cheaper.

I only ever got a bill when sent via UPS.
I have some second hand stuff from Japan coming via surface. Will be interesting to see if there is a bill. Combined value is around 15K. No invoice included.

I think this might fly under the radar.

Keep us updated! Seems like on going trend is mostly UPS/DHL parcels get taxed.

Yeah, I got some stuff from the Yewess that’s coming through USPS. It’s WAY over the limit. The Post Office called yesterday for an addy confirmation, they’re supposed to be delivering it today, but they didn’t say anything about extra fees being charged.
It does appear that, so far, only the big carriers are playing ball. Probably because it gives them a chance to wet their fucking beaks.

Seems like if they are not asking for fees before delivering, you’re home free.

DHL held my parcels when they asked for payments.