Importing Pets into Taiwan (Paperwork, Quarantine, etc.)

Thanks a lot for your answer

unfortunetely I find in your two links that 21 days will be the period for rabbies countries and just an examination for non rabbiues countries

but I don’t have any clue in netherlands is a rabbies or non rabbies country I try to go on the website to get the information but it is only in Chinese so … no comments i don’t speak yet

do you know maybe for the netherlands ??

laeti

[quote]3.25 Netherlands NET
by Gerard Visser

The country remained rabies-free in terrestrial animals.

No bat rabies was reported.

Surveillance

11 animals (3 foxes, 1 muskrat and 7 bats) were examined for rabies with negative results.

[/quote]
This comes from the WHO’s rabies bulletin website.

All the others I could find relate to bringing animals into The Netherlands. Animals coming into The Netherlands from the US (which is rabies-endemic) have to be inoculated.

So it looks as if its safe to say The Netherlands are officially rabies-free, so maybe you’ll only need to have your animal examined.

I imported my dog from Australia last year, and I can tell you with some confidence that the only countries that Taiwan currently deems rabies-free are Japan, Australia, New Zealand, Great Britain, Sweden and Iceland. I think it’s not enough for a country to be currently rabies-free, it has to have been rabies free for a certain amounbt of time

Well, I was a bit surprised to see the WHO site, because I was under the impression that continental Europe has rabies.
Anyway, its clear that it doesn’t matter what the rest of the world thinks, its what the Taiwan authorities think that matters.
Mea Culpa. :blush:

hi maoman

thanks for your information about countries rabbies free I got the same answer by the taiwanese authorities

one more because you already done the importation of your dog
where are the animals kept exactly which city??
and also do we have the right to visit them and how are they treated because my cats are my babies and sleeo in our bed so I am worried

thanks a lot

laeti

My dog is in quarantine now and will be released at the end of the month. I think you will find this link helpful (see FAQs):

baphiq.gov.tw/main/BranCls.a … SourceID=2

I think this link will answer most everything.

Some things I found confusing:
A) This is a two-step process- an import permit and getting everything ready for the quarantine.
B) The health certificate’s a bitch. Basically you need to do it twice:
(1) the airline (and I suggest China Airlines because they can handle everything smoothly locally) requires a health certificate within 10 days of departure
(2) you will need another health certificate that has RECEIVED THE SEAL OF USDA (I can’t remember if you said you are coming from the US and sorry if my memory has failed me). Unless it’s possible for you to take care of this seal within the 10 days, you will need to do the health certificate twice.
C) You have numbers for the agencies handling the two stages. Use them and make sure you are 100% clear on everything because screwing up could mean a longer quarantine time.
D) You can visit your pet(s) at the most 3x per week for 30 minutes. The people at Tai Da (where my dog is staying) are very nice and professional, but they stick to the rules.

Tell me if there’s anything else I can help with. This has been a stressful part of my move but it’s almost over!

My wife and I will be arriving in Taiwan in August along with our dog (a lab). We have all the paper work and travel arangmnets in place for our dog. We know that he will have to stay in qaurantine for a minimum of 21 days and would like to know what type of experience anybody has had with this process. Sharing any helpful tips or personal experiences with this process would be very nice to hear. We will be arriving in Taipei and living in Keelung. I believe he will stay at The Animal Isolation Quarantine Hospital: National Taiwan University Hospital. Thanks

Hi,

I brought two cats over in February. Are you interested in the process for cats?

I asked my wife since she brought our dog over about 1.5 yrs ago… She says the place is about as nice as you can imagine considering your dog is staying in a cage. She said the Dr. /people there are extremely nice though and you can schedule an appointment 1 or twice a week (she forgot) to see the dog for 30 minutes at a time only, but dont be late. If you are late for the appointment too bad from what she says. From what I am being told now that the dog has plenty of exercise time…

She wants me to tell you though very important to bring plenty of your dog’s toys, favorite food, chewies, etc… since the dog will be there for a while…

Also, she says make sure you arrive at the airport early if possible… If not the dog will have to stay in customs overnight before they will release him/her or let the dog out of the cage…

This is very brief, my wife keeps telling me what to tell you… If you want and this info is not enough you can PM me and I will give you our number… She has much advise to give you.

Hi Laetitia,

Here’s my experience:

I brought over two cats in February. They stayed at the Tai-Da Gongguan Hospital (NTU Vet Hospital #153, Sec. 3, Keelung Road. Phone number 02.2733.5891). I think if you live anywhere in Taipei, your pets will be brought there.

I went to the hospital with my cats and a rep from the airport. Had to pay a few thousand NT the first day. Total cost of the 21 day quarantine was just over NT$20,000. On that first day the doctor wrote down a visitation schedule for me. Three times a week. Bring your own food and water (I don’t know if the staff feed the animals clean or tap water). Your two cats will stay in a big cage together with two litter boxes for each of them. You get half hour private time with them, so you can let them out to play and make the other cats jealous. There are separate rooms for cats and dogs. I always saw the dogs playing with staff. My cats were allowed home after 20 days. Bring your own cages to carry them home.

I had a nice experience with bringing my cats to Taiwan. The hospital is quite big, the staff is professional. Quarantine is on the fifth floor. You take the elevator to the fourth, then walk straight ahead to the fire escape staircase up one floor, ring the bell, step into a disinfecting solution with your shoes, and you’re there.

Don’t bring your own food from Netherlands. I bought a huge new bag of a special diet for my cat I was sure I couldn’t find in Taiwan. It was confiscated at the airport. Silly me. Hill’s Science Diet is the best brand I find in Taipei, by the way.

Also, make sure ALL your forms and documents are filled out nicely. All shots must be done within the past year (so they had to retake some shots from back home just for documentation purposes). And make sure your vet fills out the dates the way the form asks you too ie year/month/day 2004/01/31 (NOT 31/01/2004, which my vet did, and when I faxed it over to NTU, they required me to redo the form).

Hope all this helped. There is nothing to worry about at the hospital. My biggest worry is if they will get through the heat in the summer time.

[color=blue]What kind of papers are needed,
Is there a quarantine period?
Do they have to be injected against specific diseases?
Anyone who has a clue about the price by airfreight ?
Is it better to send them upfront before we relocate ourselves?
Is it safe to let them go outside (not finishing in the neighbors soup like in Korea)

Any suggestions are very very welcome![/color]

As for quarantine, have a look at this link

baphiq.gov.tw/en/ENGCLS.asp? … ClassID=11

There is a document for download, but the rules in that document become effective only in June. When do you plan to arrive?

EDIT: the current rules and regulations are in the document, too.

Hi ceevee369,

This thread might also help you a bit: [Importing Pets into Taiwan (Paperwork, Quarantine, etc.)

Remember, fill in the paperwork EXACTLY the way it should be. The Taiwan side might send it back to you and say it’s not done properly such as the date isn’t filled out the “correct” way. At least I had that happen to me.

Your kids will like it here. Mine do. They even meow in Chinese now, kind of.

Pet owners coming to Taiwan, please be warned: Taiwan authorities have changed the rules for pet quarantine (for “rabies-infected countries”).

A key change is that a blood test will be required 6 months prior to the pet in question’s arrival in Taiwan. The change will go into effect on June 6.

See Appendix 3 in the bureau’s new rules for the exact wording of the “Quarantine Rules for the Importation of Dogs or Cats into Taiwan”. If their objective is to make Taiwan a less expat-friendly place, these new rules will help achieve it.

The current three-month quarantine is onerous enough. I think the concern should be with animals smuggled from China - not well-heeled pets of expats.

I wonder if there is any chance that the government might reconsider this ill-advised move.

I can assure people from non-rabies free countries that the procedure is not as simple as it was (probably) in the past.

You better investigate very very profoundly all requirements BY COUNTRY.
Regulations are changing as FROM 05/05/2005 anyway.

Meaning as from that day, forget to bring your cat & dogs from outside if they are not tested on rabies 180 days UPFRONT shipment. Vaccination should be done prior to testing.

A “european unique VET. Passport” (in development in most European countries) is recommended to relocate cat/dog from inside Taiwan to outside in the future.

At least, the cat/dog will be in the European database to trace easily in the future.

I see an informative topic on bringing a dog or cat home from Taiwan, but I have a great dog here in the US and I’m trying to decide if it would be better to bring him with me to Taiwan or find a home for him here in the US. I would really like to take him with me since it is always difficult to find a home for a mixed breed dog. My Taiwanese wife and I will be moving to Taiwan when she becomes a naturalized US citizen next year.

I’ve heard that dogs imported from the US have to stay in quarantine at the airport in Taiwan for weeks on end before they’re allowed in. I wondered if this is really the case and if anyone knows how traumatic this really is. Any details you could post about the process would be very helpful.

Thanks in advance for your replies!

Here’s some links and information I got when researching it when I was planning on moving back to Taiwan:

ramblincat.com/taiwan.html

Also, I emailed an official in Taiwan about the procedure from Canada for a dog. I imagine its similar for a dog from the US. They sent me procedure rules and an application form that I can forward to you by email if you PM me your email address.

Id on’t think the quarantine facility is at the airport. I think the main one is in Taichung, but I could be wrong. There is definitely a quarantine facility at the Tai-Da Vetrinarian Hospital on Keelung Road in Taipei City. It’s not too bad apparently, but you can only visit your pet once a day. Space at this facility is limited, so it’s best to make reservations there, although I don’t know how to do this.

Quarantine procedures do not apply to dogs from New Zealand, Australia, Swden, Iceland, Japan or the U.K. as these countries are deemed “rabies-free”. You still have to meet all the other health requirements, though. Our dog came from Australia - we picked him up at the airport and brought him straight home.

This topic is covered.
[url=http://tw.forumosa.com/t/importing-pets-into-taiwan-paperwork-quarantine-etc/383/1 cats AND dogs from CANADA to TAIWAN.[/url]

There is applesolutely nothing to worry about at the hospital. They are fed, cared for, and most importantly, there is a/c. Pets can’t always have the good life. They need to rough it once in a while. :wink: 21 days go by like that.

PM me if you are still unclear.

Best,

just a quick note to those bringing dogs into Taiwan, heartworm is prevalent here, so make sure you are giving some form of preventive medicine. All the vets here carry it (Heartguard is the one I use).

The box and the vet will tell you to give the medicine every four weeks, but if you don’t relish the thought of your dog ingesting too much in the way of insecticides (or whatever they call them - poisons, anyway), you should know that the dosage works fine given every six weeks (my vet told me this, and I read it in another vet’s ‘medications’ book, and I’ve been doing this for three years).

Heartworm is not something you want your dog to get, as the treatment (not the preventive) is nasty.

Sorry if I hijacked the thread, but my beloved Foxie is suffering the after effects of heartworm infestation, and it’s not something I would like others to go through.

We’ll be putting together a list of similar ‘things to know’ on our web site. I’ll probably also start a thread to get some more tips from others.

Life for dogs here is not as easy as it is at home, but it can be just as much fun, if not better, once you know what you’re doing.

Anyway, welcome to Taiwan. Now buy some of our dog biscuits!