Impromptu Tutor

Are there any places, coffee shops, language schools, with impromptu tutors? Someplace where you can just walk in and talk with a tutor for an hour without an appointment?

The Bill Murray school of education!

1 Like

Would be nice to add some more practice after a class occasionally but not have a regular appointment.

Isn’t that the deal at Global Village?

Japan, so I’ve heard.

The local cram school? I only see internet info about them teaching English.

Well, yeah, except in English.
They used to distinguish themselves by not having studes enrolled inn classes. Students would buy a certain number of hours, and then drop in whenever they felt like it and join whatever class was going on. No curricula, no class-to-class continuity, every class was a standalone event. Easy for students and admin, but not much quality going on. They also used to be the easiest place to get hired at, you basically just needed a pulse.

Specific to your post, though, someplace where there are a bunch of Chinese teachers just hanging around waiting for a walk-in? Like bar girls in a cowboy movie saloon?
Considering that the teachers would pretty much have to be on some kind of salary/retainer irrespective of their revenue generation, it doesn’t seem to be a very sound business model.
To me, anyway.

I’ll ask the two Chinese cram schools I’ve been to. They have teachers sitting around between classes and during the day and might be available.

Chinese teachers, (most) getting significantly less than English teachers, might be more affordable for management in such a scenario

iTalki.com has an instant tutoring feature that might work - but it’s obviously online.