Improving running

Hmmm. Swimming, running, and now cycling. theyouhan, have you considered entering a triathlon?! That would be another good thread!

I mean, I think people think of lifting weights as something out of their reach when they see huge guys grunts and lift and drop big weights. Itā€™s a means to an end. Some people lift to keep stacking up huge weights as a hobby like power lifters. Some people lift for aesthetics, meaning gaining pretty muscles that may not be all that useful like huge biceps for athletic purposes. Some lift for strength and conditioning for athletic purposes. And you can do a lot with body weights and use light weight lifting if you train correctly and understand what you are doing. Itā€™s not about just picking the heaviest weight up and down. For athletic purposes, I try to mimic motions that will increase your ability to do certain things for sports.

I really enjoy weightlifting but almost never do it anymore because of time constraints and priority- I would rather get in cycling, for example, on one of my 3-4 workouts per week than do weights. When I do head to the gym (like when I was in the US this last winter), I basically donā€™t stop for about 45 minutes. I do a lot of back and shoulders, and I mix in stomach exercises to give my upper body a break. I might do something for the legs for the same reason and to make sure I keep moving. I get completely sweaty like I do when I run. Once upon a time when I didnā€™t know what the hell I was doing I did lots of bench and curls. I could bench over 100 kilos then and I was proud of that. So silly all that work for nothing really!

Thanks marasan, but at my current couch potato state I think I can only go as far as being a waterboy. Haha. Itā€™s been almost 2 years since Iā€™ve gone on a bike craze and Iā€™ve actually never joined a marathon or at least a fun run. Running has never been really fun for me anyway hehe.

1 Like