Incorrect? Standard? Colloquial?

The burden of proof is on you. What’s wrong about that sentence? Don’t just tell us we’re wrong and try to belittle us without defending your argument.

Hok, I agree with MM about the is/are. I was trolling because I was bored and wanted to converse. Writing bullshit is often the fastest way to achieve that. MM bit and I pushed it. And then some person decided to moderate it. The ultimate compliment. The split thread of flob. Of course there is no suitable answer to the is/are sentence. And anyone who thinks one is right and one is wrong is an idiot. But these idiots are often managers. I also thought people knew that sentence was a classic efl sentence. I was trying to make a subtle point about what errors are and how they get passed on. I suppose I made some sort of point. Or maybe not.

The first sentence is clearly wrong though.

I have a massive hangover. Chrimbo, innit.

A typhoon in a teapot and i missed it. How disappointing…

A lot of people have said the first sentence is wrong. I don’t see why. “I would have gone if I would have known.” That sentence checks out in my book.

Anyway, this really doesn’t affect someone’s ability to teach English in Taiwan in the slightest. Maybe at say a college-level composition course, sure, but when it comes to buxiban where kids can’t even differentiate between plural and singular, nobody will notice, care, or remember if you get a tiny detail wrong that even native speakers don’t agree on.

You need just ask dear heart. :slight_smile:

My eighth-grade English teacher drummed that structure out of me (not that I had ever used it before; I don’t know, but likely not, having been raised by an English professor). Lots of people use it, but it’s considered “wrong” according to the prescriptivist “rules” of standard English.

[quote=“Hokwongwei”] “I would have gone if I would have known.” That sentence checks out in my book.
[/quote]
What gets my goat is when people say “I would have went” and “I would have knew,” using the simple past instead of the past participle.

[quote=“Hokwongwei”] “I would have gone if I would have known.” That sentence checks out in my book.
[/quote]

Ha… someone has actually gone to the trouble of writing an entire research paper on this exact structure and whether native speakers regard it as correct or not:

escholarship.org/uc/item/5wd0w3sz#page-1

*see also “I wish I would have…”

[quote=“Tiger Mountaineer”][quote=“Hokwongwei”] “I would have gone if I would have known.” That sentence checks out in my book.
[/quote]

Ha… someone has actually gone to the trouble of writing an entire research paper on this exact structure and whether native speakers regard it as correct or not:

escholarship.org/uc/item/5wd0w3sz#page-1

*see also “I wish I would have…”[/quote]

Awesome find.

My eighth-grade English teacher drummed that structure out of me (not that I had ever used it before; I don’t know, but likely not, having been raised by an English professor). Lots of people use it, but it’s considered “wrong” according to the prescriptivist “rules” of standard English.[/quote]

“I would have gone if I had known.” Normal and correct.

“I would have gone if I’d have known.” Colloquial.

“I would have gone if I would have known.” Sounds off to me. Maybe only used colloquially to express emotionalism.