Indian restaurants in Taipei

I knew what you meant, and I was scared! :wink:

Iā€™m a lightweight when it comes to alchohol. My alchohol tolerance, using the standard scale, is about 1.5 pints per sheet-to-the-wind.

Iā€™m a bit skeptical about that statistic. [/quote]

From Bangladesh to Brick Lane

Audrey Gillan
Friday June 21, 2002
The Guardian

More than eight out of 10 Indian restaurants in the UK are owned by Bangladeshis, the vast majority of whom - 95% - come from Sylhet. In 1946, there were 20 restaurants or small cafes owned by Bengalis; in 1960 there were 300; and by 1980, more than 3,000. Now, according to the Curry Club of Great Britain, there are 8,500 Indian restaurants, of which roughly 7,200 are Bengali. An awful lot of chicken tikka masala, apparently now Britainā€™s national dish, has its origins here. Even the little village of Gonipur has despatched more than 200 people - called Londonis - to Britain.

guardian.co.uk/religion/Stor ā€¦ 56,00.html

Thanks for that, Blueface. Thatā€™s really interesting.

A couple of things; the statistic came from The Curry Club, who being into decent, quality food have possibly excluded a lot of hole-in-the-wall places of the kind I mentioned.

The article mentioned the East End of London connection; I think a lot of the South Asian people in Leeds and Bradford werenā€™t from Bangladesh, which explains the impression I got.

Other random bits;
Did you see that bit where they say that they sell betel nut in Brick Lane? That surprised me.
They also sell jackfruit - thatā€™s a wonderful thing looking like durian but without the smell, and tasting like a cross between mango and banana.

Actually a lot of the restaurants on Brick Lane itself have become a bit homogenised and bland now since they are catering to the hoards from the City nearby. You have to be very selective or venture further East now to find the more authentic experience.

Betel nut is available in quite a few places in London. I have seen it in Thai grocery shops and some restaurants in Southall have betel nut counters inside the door.

Chicken tikka was nice; dry as it should be and yoghurt gave a nice edge.
Saag paneer (spinach with cheese) was also nice; smooth and creamy.
Beef balti was average- lacking midrange (flavour) spices as in so many Indian restaurants here.
Naans were OK; they donā€™t do chapatis.

Perhaps a little on the pricey side, portions a bit small.

Lots of westerners in there - itā€™s obviously got itself a good reputation.

The Spice Shop
Not bad (try the eggplant) but not a homerun either. Nice, reasonable and easygoing atmosphere.

[quote=ā€œwolf_reinholdā€]The Spice Shop[/quote]Which one? The one in Taipei or one of the two in Taichung?

Iā€™ve been to the smaller of the two in Taichung and the food was pretty good although as seems common with Indian restaurants here the portions were on the small side.

Itā€™s certainly very popular and you may have to wait outside, hoping that others donā€™t jump the queue. You have to take the estimated wait times with a pinch of salt as well.

I believe you can book, though, which would solve that problem. Alternatively the other store is bigger.

Went to Tandoor on the weekend, out first Indian meal in Taipei. Planning to work down the list.

Food was excellent, but portions were slightly on the small side I thought.

Atmosphere was severely lacking tho. Lights were on full bright, no music (that I could recall) - if they dimmed the lights somewhat and put on some indian music, the atmosphere would have transformed, plus I wouldnā€™t have noticed the condition of the menus etc was pretty shabby.

Out of India, just off ShiDa - itā€™s a new place with a big menu. Very good so far, and apparently you can get a discount if you tell them youā€™re from ā€œSITā€ (Steve In Taiwan, an agent)

A couple years ago I went to an Indian restaurant thatā€™s in the alley behind the Sherwood Hotel on Minsheng East Road. I remember it was pretty good. No idea what the name was.

Thatā€™s the Hindustan. Quite good if very inconsistent.

I liked it too. Not too dear, and the portions were big. I liked the Hindustan better though - I thought it was excellent and reasonably priced.

Brian

I would suggest that all of you hankering for some really authentic and flavorful Indian food should try Caf

At least they donā€™t have a TV blaring, too! :smiley: :smiley: :smiley:

Avoid ā€œOut of Indiaā€ near Shida. Small portions, inflated prices. Had a ā€œbutter chickenā€ that tasted like chicken curry and the portion was small enough to scoop in one hand for about NT$300. Rip off.

[quote]Quote:
Out of India, just off Shi-Da
I liked it too. Not too dear, and the portions were big. [/quote]

Funny how peopleā€™s opinions can differ!

Was handed a business card by an associate of a Mr. N.A. Choudhry earlier this evening. Mr. Choudhry would appear to be the proprietor of Aaleja, which purports to provide ā€œThe best Pakistani & Indian Veg, non-Veg Halal Foodā€
His establishment is located at 1F, No.6, Alley 5, Lane 70, Yanji St., for which the Zhongxiao/Dunhua MRT Station Exit 2 is apparently the closest.

Anyone been?

Not yet. Saw it in the Sunday China Post and the missus and I will be heading over there soon. Weā€™re sort of craving curry at the moment. We hit up an Indonesian Curry place in Gongguan last night but it was a bit weak.

Iā€™ve been there twice. Overall, the food was authentic and tasty although the portions could have been bigger.
I know what you are thinking; what was I doing at a Muslim (i.e. no booze) restaurant? Well, they donā€™t sell alcohol, but you can take your own grog. So, remember to take some supplies along. Itā€™s difficult to imagine eating a lager without a cool beer, isnā€™t it? (To be polite I always ask them if it is okay before breaking into my grog).

Yes, it is:

ā€œWould you like a spoon with your beer, sahib?ā€

You have inadvertently disclosed your dining priorities. :slight_smile: