Inexpensive men's dress shoes in Taipei

I need to buy a nice pair of black dress shoes without upsetting my pocket book too much.

I am looking to spend no more than 2500 NT. I looked at La New…but they are really expensive. Any Ideas where to look in Taipei?
(I am a size 9 1/2 US Mens)

[color=green]Mod note: original title “A good but not expensive dress shoe store in Taipei”; I changed it to be a bit more generic for merging purposes. DB[/color]

[quote=“derek1978”]I need to buy a nice pair of black dress shoes without upsetting my pocket book too much.

I am looking to spend no more than 2500 NT. I looked at La New…but they are really expensive. Any Ideas where to look in Taipei?
(I am a size 9 1/2 US Mens)
[/quote]

Honestly, you should spend at least twice that if you can possibly afford it now. Why? The shoes will look better and will last many years. Those NT2500 shoes will look old in a year thus forcing you to shell out another NT2500. Spend 5-8000 and the shoes will look great for a few years or more. Spend 10-15,000 and they will look great for the rest your life.

That said, you could try Sogo. Big men’s shoe department and often sales. Also the first floor at Taipei 101. Always sales at 101.

I used to love Kenneth Cole shoes when they were still made in Italy. Now they are made in China mostly and are not worth the price. In any case, the shops up and left Taiwan last year.

If you are looking for something just to get by there is a shoe outlet on Muxing Road section 2 just kitty corner from the Wellcome.

$2500 won’t get you nice shoes, not in Taipei AFAIK. $5000 maybe. You could check out the Rockport store at Nanjing/Dunhua (NE corner). They’re comfy and good quality.

there must be some rockport outlet stores in taipei … i know there is one in that building next to neihu costco. you should be able to find something there for between 2K and 3500 …

costco sometimes sells doc martens, if that’s your thing. they should stock your size, as well.

Actually Derek there are all those outlets shops on the first floor of the Carrefore/B&Q building down Muxing Road toward Xindian. You should have no problem getting a decent looking pair for 2500. They won’t be good quality but they will look fine for now.

There are Rockport branches in department stores like FE21 or Shin-kong Mitsukoshi (Xin Guang San Yue). You can normally get one pair around NT$2800~3200 and they can last for a few years even when you walk quite a lot like a missionary does. :slight_smile:

are you calling me a missionary :laughing:

Hah. Not my intention anyway but maybe you are (were)? :slight_smile:
I just wanted to show how “endurable” and worthy Rockport shoes are.

I went to La New and Aso shoe stores thinking they’d cost like 1000 NT or less…hellz no! they cost freakin over 3000 !! Geez with prices like that why don’t I just go get some other foreign brand. Do they have a something similar to “Payless Shoestore” in the US? Like get decent quality leather shoes for like around 1000 NT? I don’t care if its like real leather just something decent I can wear to work.

Decent quality for 1000? I don’t think so. They’ll not only look like crap but will fall apart very soon. You’re really better off spending more, IMO. See the above earlier answers.

How about now? Back in the day when this thread was current I was getting great Rockport’s for NT1000 on about the fifth floor of the Zhong He Carre Four/ B & Q complex, but that store is long gone. Even on pchome the prices are the same as the U.S.

Rockport has several outlets, Neihu and Xindian and Gongguan come to mind. There is even one on Shoe Street - which by the way has many other nice brand choices at reaosnable prices. I would also recommend checking out local brands like Scona. Even though they are expensive, Scona shoes are very confortable and lasting, plus when on sale they are 1000 ntd or less -ther is an outlet in Danshui.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g293913-i9546-k3338640-Yuanling_Street-Taipei.html

http://www.scona.com.tw/GoodList.aspx?s1=5

2 Likes

Try the night markets.