Inteference with wifi streaming makes TV nearly unwatchable

How are people doing with streaming through wifi to their TV? I use an Apple TV, and I seem to have big problems with interference: the signal will cut out, and may or may not come back after I reboot X number of devices or programs; the display will cut to static while audio continues, before resuming a couple of seconds later; and so on.

Is anyone else having trouble with interference like this? Has anyone found any differences between an Apple TV and other devices (Roku or whatever)?

A lot of online advice suggests minimizing interference. Well … that would make the sound bar with bluetooth woofer kind of a dumb purchase. And OK, I don’t use the microwave when watching TV. But I’m in the middle of a Taiwanese apartment building, with lord knows how many other wifi and bluetooth devices around me (my computer currently sees 13 wifi networks). And what I think is really causing trouble is the elevator, which is a typical dongle-activated apartment elevator, and that elevator shaft is the other side of the wall from the TV. The more “epic” crashes of the network seem linked to when our neighbours use the elevator, and the problems seem to have become much worse in the past couple of weeks, after our building installed a new dongle system (I have no idea what frequencies or tech those systems use).

For what it’s worth, Netflix (also through the Apple TV) is far more stable than when I’m streaming from the iTunes Store or Plex (connecting to my computer).

Of course, it could also be that my router is crap, or I’ve got problems with the HDMI cable or the specific Apple TV unit or the TV.

I use Chromecast almost exclusively. It has its own problems. The most prominent one being video jitters at the start of playing a video. However, usually when playing stuff through Plex within my LAN it’s really smooth, which makes me wonder if the issues of other apps has more to do with my WAN quality…