Interested in buying corn tortillas?

Hello,

Is anyone interested in buying corn tortillas from Florida Bakery?

The minimum order is 12 bags (with 12 tortillas each) and as I am not able to single handedly consume 144 tortillas on my own, I need some help. I already have a friend who is willing to buy 4 bags, I probably will buy another 4 or so. If anyone else is interested, we can buy it together. The shelf life is 21 days, 3 months if frozen.

It comes out to 80NT per bag (not including shipping). Let me know if your interested. I am located in Taipei, but if you’re elsewhere, we still might be able to work out the shipping.

Sorry, why is it you’re not just walking into the store and buying how many you need???

As mentioned above, the minimum order is 12 bags, which is a lot more than I need.

I know I’ve gone into Florida Bakery and simply bought a small bag of corn tortillas in the past. Do they no longer just sell them in the store?

(Sadly I don’t particularly recommend their corn tortillas. They seem to go off rather fast, and they’ve always seemed at least a touch stale - but perhaps that’s just bad luck with me not buying as fresh as possible.)

Oh do they really? I had just read somewhere that you had to order in advance! Perhaps I was misinformed. Bummer to hear they aren’t that great though, the other option was just buying masa and making it from scratch :unamused:

…which is what we unfortunately have to do. get masa fronm freinds going abroad or order iHerb. Not the same, but the closest.

However, the good news is that now in taiwan they are cultivating our kind of corn, a variety most suitable for tortillas, and achiote, too. So there is hope…

2 Likes

Nevermind, I guess I could :joy:

Sure, just go in and buy them by the bag of 12.
That minimum order deal must be for delivery or something?

But, yeah, they get really dry if you don’t use them right off, even if you freeze them.
I made a mess of tacos last night and I had to either steam them or grill them with a little oil to get them usable.

Good luck finding masa.

Ahh I see I see. Good insight. Thank you, I think I will end up looking for Masa instead in that case.

Eh, don’t take my word for it. If you’re already in Taipei just go into their store (I think the one on or near Ren’ai is more likely to stock corn tortillas, if I recall correctly) and buy some. See how you feel about them.

I do like their flour tortillas and go through a lot of them. But those are much more readily available at Carrefour and City Super and Jason’s. I’ve only seen the corn tortillas in Florida Bakery’s own branches.

EDIT: Isn’t masa harina fairly easy to find at City Super now? I haven’t looked for a while since I tend to get it from iHerb anyway.

Yes, I was thinking of asking someone to bring it as well, but I will check out iHerb.

The corn-- that’s awesome. Yes, hope for good mexican food in Taiwan at last T.T

Masa harina is for arepas, not tortillas. Masa for tortillas is masa para tortillas. But dried masa floyr does not make the best tortillas. :sob:

Ah, I don’t haven’t been to too many city supers yet, I’ll check that out as well as iHerb, thanks! I was already leaning towards trying to make it myself for fun either way.

You can also buy masa from Florida Bakery and you do have to order ahead of time. They have corn and flour tortillas, and little expensive bags of corn chips. I noticed on Facebook too that this fellow, Quetzal Coatl has masa for sale. It looks like a better buy than Florida Bakery.

The masa I saw online had a huge minimum order, but I’m guessing that must be just an online requirement, as the tortilla minimum order seems to be a non-requirement as well. I will take a look into Quetzal Coatl! Thank you for the recommendations!

I’ve bought online from Florida Bakery when I lived in Tainan. I know there was a shipping cost. I think i bought two bags. If you go to their store in person, you can just pay for bag and pick it up in a few days.

For myself, i think i’ll try Quetzal next time!

I just saw this on Facebook. https://www.facebook.com/groups/comidalatinaentaiwan/?fref=nf
Eddy’s Cantina sells some items.

Ted Chiang
5 hrs
Looking for high quality ingredients from Mexico?

1. Masa de harina de Harimasa $240/kg*
  2. Sea salt / jalapeno cheese tortilla chips de Ochoa $85/125g, $199/450g
  3. Tamarindo, Horchata, y Jamaica concentrates de El Yucateco $330/700ml
    *Where to buy Harimasa:
    Taipei – Eddy’s Cantina Tianmu 2
    Taipei & Xinchu – Quantum Tacos, Teotihuacan
    Ochoa and El Yucateco are available online @ http://24h.pchome.com.tw/
    Keywords “Ochoa” and “El Yucateco”
    For wholesale inquiries please private message.
1 Like

Sooo… quick side bar: Next time I visit the T-Dubs, you’re cooking an amazing Latin American meal for your guest-slash-friend, right? :smirk:

Eddy’s cantina is awesome. Like a home away from home :+1:.

Me?! Cooking?! :scream:

Trust me, with my skills, if I like you, I won’t be cooking for you. Treat you to really nice, affordable places in Taipei, yes.