Inventor of General Tso Chicken has died

So the original inventor of the dish passed away, http://www.taiwannews.com.tw/en/news/3042881. Within the story, there’s a link to a youtube video about the history of Chinese food in America. That lead me to watch the documentary on Netflix which was fascinating. Lots of interesting topics that were broached that I don’t have the energy to list.

In any case, that got me wondering what is the Chinese food like in other countries. The only other country where I had Chinese, outside of US and Canada, was in Spain. It was fucking terrible. They don’t even serve the dishes with rice. They give you this fried piece of bread with the dish. I’m sorry but Spaniards have fucked up tastes when it comes to Asian food. That’s the story I wanted to share :smile:!

Hi Supernintendo Chalmers!
Before I came to Taiwan, I worked in South Korea. Korean Chinese food really is its own culinary subset. Jajangmyeon, or black bean noodles, is probably the most popular “Chinese” dish there. In fact, it’s probably the most popular dish in Korea period, even more ordered than staples like Bi Bim Bap. It was invented by a Chinese migrant to the Korean city of Incheon about a hundred years ago, and like Tso does for American tastes, caters to Korean tastes. Read more here: https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jajangmyeon

In the UK it’s pretty awful: it basically evolved from Hong Kong immigrants (not necessarily chefs or skilled cooks) setting up takeaways and selling dubious dishes (eg., “çhop suey”) to an unsophisticated and/or drunk public. Bear in mind that Hong Kong food is mostly salt, grease, and weird chicken parts at the best of times, and you’ll get the general idea.

A particularly British speciality is “Chinese” curry. It’s similar to the Japanese curry you can buy in cubes from the supermarkets here, but several steps down the quality scale.

I’ve had it before in Korean Chinese restaurants. It’s an interesting take on the Chinese version. Fascinating how the Chinese diaspora has developed all over the world to accommodate local tastes. You look at Korean food in the US. It hasn’t changed much because until recently only Koreans ate at Korean restaurants.

To Finley, that’s the problem Chinese food faces in the US. It’s considered cheap food so it’s never elevated to higher palate. That’s also an inherent problem with us Chinese: we don’t pay for quality because we’re cheap.

Hi SuperNintendo,
So the Chinese food is cheaper than any other kind of food in the US? I have never been to US but I’m curious about this fact. I saw American TV series and found out some scenes they will go to Chinese restaurants, at that time I thought “Wow! It’s so interesting they enjoy Chinese food! because I don’t think people not Chinese in the US has the same flavor as us”. So they go to Chinese restaurants for cheap food not just for the flavor?

I wouldn’t say it’s cheaper necessarily. There are both upscale and budget Chinese restaurants and/or take-out places. Nowadays especially, more expensive and more authentic ones are popping up a lot. People have long been sick of greasy Chop Suey crap.

2 Likes

The perception of Chinese food is changing thanks to places like Din Tai Fung, but generally Chinese food is associated with take-out and buffet which don’t elevate the perception that Chinese food can be elegant and sophisticated.

In a place with a more developed foreign restaurant scene like New York, not really. There’s that end of it but there are plenty of mid and high-end places as well.

1 Like

I’ve been to a chinese buffet in France. They eat french bread with everything! Including rice.
Ive been in a chinese a la carte restaurant, the food was very good and looked like the dishes i am used to in canada but portions were really small and it was expensive.

In Quebec they wrap cheese with raw meat and dip it in hot water. Their version of hot pot (called chinese fondue).

1 Like